Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

Sat Nav traffic

Why is it the navigation system (I have ICTP) is uncannily accurate at plotting queuing traffic but completely ignorant about closed roads and diversions due to pre-planned roadworks? I thought the point of commute mode was to steer you around that sort of thing but it consistently seems to have no idea.

Does anyone know where the traffic data comes from and why there's such a difference?
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I believe they pick traffic data up from other cars and the speed they are moving. I think but don't know for sure a lot of makes use TomTom's data for this as I believe they were the first to come up with it so it won't just be Land Rover's feeding in. Hence they don't have to do anything here, the data creates itself as enough cars are feeding in to know where traffic has slowed down or stopped.

However closed roads are different, that needs someone to be putting that data into the system as it's got no way of automatically working that out... yet. I can imagine in the future front facing cameras in the cars could pick this up and read it. Maybe initially alerting a human to look into it to fill in the closed road but beyond that they'd work it out completely on their own.

Of course if you use something like Waze, that's crowd sourced data so people are marking them there,
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 

Thanks. That's a bit rubbish isn't it? Pre-planned roadworks should be the easiest thing to keep track of I would have thought.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Well for traffic a piece of software can work it out without human input. For the second it needs humans to fill it in. Also is there a site you can go to which detail all planned UK roadworks to get this info from?
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 

There is, but I certainly don't check it every time I go driving, and even when I do, you really need to know what you're looking for otherwise it's very easy to miss stuff. That's supposed to be what the connected navigation system can do for you.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah what I mean is without a sensible source of this information that a machine can pick up and understand it's unlikely to happen. They won't have humans doing this daily I imagine.

Looked at the Highways Agency site and it's probably fine for humans to understand but not a piece of code. They probably need coordinates along the route to accurately pinpoint where it's closed.

Just saying the reason it probably doesn't do this is because there isn't data available in a format that would facilitate this.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum