Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Changed front pads today

I’m sure there are other more detailed threads but I changed the front pads on my MY20 3.0d today, at 36k miles.
    All fairly straight forward with very few steps. I had only bought new pads, but I’d recommend buying new retaining pins (2 per caliper), mine were badly rusted and bent, also retaining clips, one each caliper, one of mine were sheared through and broken due to contacting the disc, but clearly working fine without. Also get the wear indicator lead. I broke mine during the change but again the system seems fine without.
    The caliper bolts took a lot of force to break the thread, then unscrewed by hand. Tip, turn each wheel full lock to get a beaker bar on them. Easy to disconnect the wear indicator. The next issue was the retaining pins which you need to knock out, these were b*****ds. They were corroded and soft metal and have stupid points which don’t suit a pointy drip tool. Eventually cut the point off a nail and patiently tapped them out. Any other car these would be stainless and have taken 30secs to remove! My “universal” caliper set didn’t suit the Disco caliper, but lucky the pistons went in with ease, just managed to get a touch on them with the kit.
    Otherwise fairly straight forward!
  • Ultra
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (180) S Loire Blue

Did mine this week (Front and Rear) but managed a colossal 49k miles. Car is a March 2018 2 litre model.
    Really good going I thought but maybe careful driving and a lack of a towbar contributed to it. Also the smaller engine must be a factor. Anyone got over 50k I'd be interested to know.
    Photos to follow...

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

My TDV6 is currently on 61000kms and still on first set of brake pads (with quite a lot of towing horse trailer), so obviously not just related to engine size.

Seems these cars are quite good on brake wear!!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I got somewhere around 37,000 miles on my set before the wear indicators tripped. Fronts were easy (pads, discs, sensor, hardware), rears I bought all the parts for and had the dealer do it for $150 in labor.

I changed my discs because the discs that were on there had a noticeable lip all around, and one of the fronts was slightly warped as evidenced from a light shimmy under braking.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

2lt, 23k miles. Discs and pads replaced all round.

Don’t tow apart from a trailer once in a blue moon. Country roads.

Luck of the draw.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

That or you drive it like you stole it, 23k miles isn't much at all Wink
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Naw, whilst I don’t drive like Miss Daisey, I do keep within the speed limits. Might be guilty of a bit of late braking here and there, but that’s it. LRCS paid for the discs, I paid for the pads.

Strange thing is SWMBOs car needed new front discs and pads within 2 years from new and 14k miles. That was a warranty job.

Maybe it's a combination of country roads and the roads department salting the roads out of existence.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I think it's partly because of the cheaper metals which they are probably sourcing from abroad, that's the issue. Probably impurities mixed with other metals and it's softer and less heat resistant, hence warping easier.

Every time I wash the cars, there is surface rust, (iron oxide) on the discs on both cars. Never happened several years back with other cars. My car has been stuck as the brakes seize onto the rotors after a wash.

My previous Subaru ended up with warped front discs. I wrote to Subaru and they replied back saying it's because they assumed I live near the coast, its the salt in the air, or that I had it on the racetrack, which I have never done. Tried every excuse not to carry out the work until I stuck to my guns.

I replied it's garaged and my last 3 Subaru's from new never had this issue, even though I have lived in the same house. Car only had 15k on it from new at the time.

Wanted to screw me over £1000 for both front rotors. (Expensive as car runs on high performance Brembo Brakes), but should not cost that much. Car was still under warranty.

They gave me some cock n bull story about rust and corrosion using fancy words.

Well as it happens I work with corrosion engineers and it's also part of my job so I know quite a bit about corrosion.

Anyhow they ended up backing themselves into a corner, to the point where I said if thats what your diagnosis is, then the rear discs have to also be replaced. They quickly retracted what they said. No no only the fronts need done.

Needless to say they did the front discs for free and I got new pads online and fitted everything free of charge. Traded it in 6 months later and touch wood no problems with new model.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Just looking for some pics/ guides on front pad changes, The pics above look like they are the earlier TRW calipers (HA chassis numbers).

Any pics for JA chassis numbers ?

Cheers
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

My Td6 spent about 7000 miles offroad, then subsequently normal use plus towing a caravan. It did 35000 and needed pads all round. Local Indi said didn't need discs so its still on original discs at 64,000 miles now, assume new pads can't be too far from the warning light coming up again but we will see.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum