Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• nigels888
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Air con

so the background is that I bought the car with 5500 miles on it last august on an 18 plate. a week after getting it it had a new AC condenser fitted. 2 weeks ago the aircon failed again basically warm ish air out of right hand vent and slightly cooler out of left hand vent so booked it back in to landrover.
    they have just stated that all it needed was a regas nothing wrong with it and charged me £259 for the pleasure.
    question is how can it loose all its gas since august I never turn it off so always functioning and why so much when a good indi could do that for £120
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Do you have a warranty. what guarantee did the repair have, was it regassed correctly when condenser changed, who did the work, Gas doesn't disappear without a leak at the rate you suggest, conswquently if you are told it only needed regassing and there is no leak, then the system must have been under gassed.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • nigels888
    United Kingdom 

harrythespider
    same garage that replaced the condenser under warranty last august. it all worked then when I got it back.
    it goes in for mot with my decent indi in 2 weeks so they said they would check. it over.
    I did ask the dealer how it could loose its gas in 7 months and they tried making all sorts of excuses including saying the seals will have gone dry because I hadnt used it. put him straight on that
    he even tried to tell me that a small bottle of gas cost them £1300 I know it costs £295
  • FenAir
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: Air con

nigels888 wrote:
    so the background is that I bought the car with 5500 miles on it last august on an 18 plate. a week after getting it it had a new AC condenser fitted. 2 weeks ago the aircon failed again basically warm ish air out of right hand vent and slightly cooler out of left hand vent so booked it back in to landrover.
    they have just stated that all it needed was a regas nothing wrong with it and charged me £259 for the pleasure.
    question is how can it loose all its gas since august I never turn it off so always functioning and why so much when a good indi could do that for £120

As an independant a/c engineer , i can tell you all they done was regas it, not change the condenser, No system that is tight and with only 5500 miles on the compresor will not loose gas in under 3-5 years, what happens is that in assembly the gas ( R1234YF) is charged into ther car, however , this gas is very expensive compared to R134a ( 5 x ) so , LR put a half charge in it at best, send it out and bye bye, dealer problem, dealers then either degass and regas to correct level at PDi but carry the cost, of they wave you bye bye, if and when you come back they then say well the seals have dried out because you have it switched off and should keep it running and so its lost its gas and its down to you how you use the car, not JLR, price £259, but they will have only shot 150g in to make it blow cold again, still not fixing the intial issue of not enough in the system, so around you go again..

But all manufactures are up to it, if the charge weight is 600g and you put 300g in it will work but not well , they know you dont know what well is, so if its cool air you think its ok, when actually on Lo with the fan speed on 2-3 and center vent air flow with 1000RPM engine speed you should see 2-3 C at the vent on a 20C day....

Sadly we are all getting took for a ride not just by the main agent... its all about who pays and who profits, not about good service and repeat business.

Pat

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • nigels888
    United Kingdom 

now that makes a lot of sense thankyou
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum