Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Bow down Thumbs Up
  • kevofcov

Asked my local dealer (by email) how much to change my engine oil. Thought it would be good for the engine.

£260

Would include the filter I'm sure but no words needed really....
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Shop around. Try other LR dealerships or VAT registered LR Indys to comply with your warranty.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Okay, the car flashed up Service Due in 1,750 miles. I’ve done 29,322 miles. Contacted the local LR main dealership Service Manager for a quote for a B service. His reply,

The car will monitor its driving cycles etc and will decide if servicing is required sooner, the service should be due in May 2022 or 35,600 miles unless the car wants it early. I would just monitor the situation and service at the two year period as the car is making a calculation in ref to time passed and mileage traveled.

The service price is £556.79 inc vat

Seems reasonable. I’ll book it in nearer the time. So for a 2lt engine A Service (£276.18 bit of a discount) plus a B service = £832.97. That will take it to 6 years before the next A service.

I’ve always said service plans don’t make any more sense than pay as you go, my figures prove it.
  • mack1979
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

£650 for second service. Look at what is included, it's 1.5 hours of label and about £50 in parts (filters mainly) plus oil (maybe another £50), making their hourly rate about £350!

The service plan wants £2k, but this has doubled since I got a quote a year ago and they insist on the 4th annual service being included, despite that being due the day the car is due back, so I have every intention of returning it before due. Especially as I'm now one of the unfortunate many who has had various electrical gremlins in a £70k car.

New D5 HSE 3l SD6 MY20. Black and all the black options!
    Old: (sold) D4 MY11 3.0l SDV6 (black obviously)
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

I ONCE took a 4-5 year old disco to a local independant for a service. I gave him a copy of the LR checklist for that service and he quoted me half the price of the main dealer.

Sure enough the bill was as quoted. But when I looked at it, it was clear that is wasn't much more than an oil change. When I queried it, he said the LR checklist is OTT and most doesn't need doing. Things like changing the brake fluid!

So sure enough I paid half the price, but I got half a service.

Didn't do that again.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Despite the temptation, I’ve never had the car serviced or repaired by anyone other than a LR main dealer. Mostly, I think it’s the fear of something cocking up and requiring LRCS goodwill gesture, which is a black art in itself, but gives them less wriggle room.

I get a good rate from them, simply because they are in awe of SWMBO, 😂
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I use an Indy and they charge (one assumes they are fitting everything they itemise) significantly less primarily due to the difference in hourly rate. LR dealer £120/hour, Indy £55/hour
  • mack1979
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

£650 for second service. Look at what is included, it's 1.5 hours of label and about £50 in parts (filters mainly) plus oil (maybe another £50), making their hourly rate about £350!

The service plan wants £2k, but this has doubled since I got a quote a year ago and they insist on the 4th annual service being included, despite that being due the day the car is due back, so I have every intention of returning it before due. Especially as I'm now one of the unfortunate many who has had various electrical gremlins in a £70k car.

New D5 HSE 3l SD6 MY20. Black and all the black options!
    Old: (sold) D4 MY11 3.0l SDV6 (black obviously)
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

All the service managers I have spoken with have always told me that the service schedule is all that matters and not what the car is tell;ing you.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Fair point, until something screw up and it held as an excuse not to cover it.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum