Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Failed window motor

Guys

Driving back from the Alps on Sunday and we wound down the passenger window to pay our (thankfully last) toll. After the barrier raised, window only raised about 10 com and then reversed. No way would it close. At the Eurotunnel, after a blustery and cold 30km, managed to coax it (with manual help) to close and have just had the vehicle in, and a failed window motor was diagnosed. Car is a 2017 MY with 35,000 miles, so it seems a bit premature for a piece of kit that has probably been raised / lowered no more than a couple of hundred times in its lifetime. Have bitten the bullet on a new motor, but anted to share it here in case anyone else has had the same issue.

Cheers

Phil

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Sorry about your window motor…

“…driving back from the Alps on Sunday…”

How’d it go? Doing the same for half term assuming we don’t get Covid…

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

We were lucky to go outside half term so the slopes were quiet. They are checking Covid passes on the lifts, so make sure you have it on your phone. NHS one now works internationally as well.

Skiiing was great, conditions really good, and the roads were pretty quiet. We did Courchevel to Calais in 8 hours. We spent 350 quid on snow chains which we didn't use, however!

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Thanks very much.

Half term, will, I think, be mental!! Normally is where we go, but our older one started secondary school this year, and the days of taking them out of primary school are nearly over...

Glimmer of hope today that 24/48hr tests might be dropped will help ease the stress levels!

I've got my snow socks and Pirelli Scorpions, with about 5mm left on them... We've only ever taken our D3 to France which has AT3s on it... kind of wondering whether to bother swapping. We stay in a chalet about a 5 min drive from the main lift base at Samoens on the Grand Massif.

Thanks and hope you get sorted!

John

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Drivers window motor failed last year, just before the warranty expired. Managed to coax it up and apply gaffer tape. Very classy. Looked as if car had been broken into thereby attracting the wrong attention. Now the passenger one is playing silly Censored . Was on the phone to LR on Monday, as will be in for a year 4 service and an MOT. Told them the replacement drivers sides still drops a few mm as can hear wind whistling and a draught. Also something is catching when lowering and closing the window like a cable or tie wrap clicking away. So possibly 2 new motors on a nearly 4 year old car with 20k on the clock. Absolutely shocking. Saying that, the window is a hell of a weight. It totally slipped down when driving. I got such a fright as thought it had smashed. Am sure I posted and put up photos on here last year.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Not a Chelsea tractor
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Re: Failed window motor

Phil B wrote:
    Guys

Driving back from the Alps on Sunday and we wound down the passenger window to pay our (thankfully last) toll. After the barrier raised, window only raised about 10 com and then reversed. No way would it close. At the Eurotunnel, after a blustery and cold 30km, managed to coax it (with manual help) to close and have just had the vehicle in, and a failed window motor was diagnosed. Car is a 2017 MY with 35,000 miles, so it seems a bit premature for a piece of kit that has probably been raised / lowered no more than a couple of hundred times in its lifetime. Have bitten the bullet on a new motor, but anted to share it here in case anyone else has had the same issue.

Cheers

Phil

Had the same issue and landrover could do nothing 2 weeks before Christmas so replaced it myself took 40 mins straight forward job in fairness
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Car was in for its mot and service, on Monday. Passed no problem.
    However the window mechanism that was fitted last March under warranty is being replaced again after 12 months, and a trifle under 3k mileage. Needing a new regulator apparently.
    Along with the bonnet cable, and passenger side door lock mechanism Sad
    Keeping it till next year as taken the 5 year service plan, and getting shot of the damn thing.
    Mind you mot was only £29.99 so cant complain as also had the extended warranty.
    Still not got it back as awaiting for parts and head office clearance/goodwill gesture regarding bonnet catch. Have a nice Velar in the mean time. Nice to drive but keep hitting my head when exiting the car due to its low sloping roofline.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Your lucky, they don’t have to give you a curtesy car.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Darras thats true, but the dealer has always taken care of us. 6 LR's in the immediate family, not to mention they were an agent for another brand, which we also have in the family.

Just an update, we ended up having both door locking barrels replaced, even thought it was only the passenger one at fault. Apparently they come in pairs, but i suppose they will have had to replace the keys as well. Found one key in the cup holder, so i expect thats for the spare key. Will check out over the weekend.

• Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

mine failed yesterday as well, was treating Mrs H to a McFlurry so had the window down all the way to pay and i heard a clunk as it disappeared from view. Straight round to LR where they have secured it in the up position and ordered a new regulator. All done under the extended warranty.

However thats 3 strikes for this one so its on its way oot!!!!!!!

30500 miles, pfft.
  • COB
    Ireland 

Re: Failed window motor

Not a Chelsea tractor wrote:
    Phil B wrote:
    Guys

Cheers

Phil

Had the same issue and landrover could do nothing 2 weeks before Christmas so replaced it myself took 40 mins straight forward job in fairness

Hi There, Sounds like same problem, 2018, with recent new engine at 120k km.Window used very little. Window comes up/down about 10cm from bottom then stops. Panels off atm. Motor does seem a little warm.

Where did you find a replacement motor?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Got mine replaced under warranty. I did ask how much it would have cost if not and I think they told me £950 or thereabouts. Not sure exactly what they replaced.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum