Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Restrictive Mode

Oh well, yesterday the Disco played up. First time for everything.

I got a red triangle on the dash and a message that the car was in restrictive mode. Needless to say the engine got unresponsive.

I pulled into a lay by and after 10 mins, started the car up again. The warning disappeared and it drove normally,

So, when I got home I phoned LR assist - I’ve got the extended LR named warranty and they popped out a mechanic to visit. He connected his computer to the car and told me a Turbo fault was logged. Also said it was okay to drive but to take it into the LR garage soon as.

Phoned them up today, the earliest they can take a look at it is the 12th of this month unless it happens again and then i was advised to get it transported into their garage, in which case a different time lag to appointments applies.

I’ll just have to use it meantime in the knowledge it might go pop. I am past the point of caring tbh. I am prematurely starting to look around for a short or long term replacement vehicle, although I am pretty laid back about it all tbh. Whatever happens, happens, no point in getting upset about it. Rolling Eyes
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I feel your pain... hope you get it resolved soon!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, I am sure it will be okay.

If it’s going to be a while, I may buy something else meantime or even a motorcycle to see me through! Finally, a good excuse to get one.

If the cars going to be unreliable, then it will get sold on, but I won’t return to LR. I’ve had problems with two LRs before that have resulted in me selling them, so if I get strike three, I won’t come back for more.
  • asmair
    United Kingdom 

I had something similar with a Dicovery 4, which was fixed by the technician disconnecting a cable to the turbo charger, giving it a clean and then replacing. It was a 5 minute job.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Interesting thank you. When I take it in to the garage in a weeks time, I’ll let you know the outcome. Thumbs Up
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Don’t want to be a doom monger, but that’s what mine did about 15 miles before stuffing its engine.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, I take nothing for granted.

I went out in it this afternoon, a ten mile round trip and it behaved. No warnings.

In the last week or so, I was in a slow moving queue and the auto start/stop seemed a bit rough as did the idle, so I turned it off. It was okay after that.

Then on Sunday, I had done about 15 miles into a 250 mile trip, when going up a long incline, the car felt like I’d put a speed limiter on and the car didn’t kick down when I pushed the accelerator. When the road levelled up, it seemed okay and I didn’t think about it anymore, no warnings displayed.

On the way home, having done about 220 miles, the warning light came on along with the message reduced performance. The speed cut back and I had little response from the accelerator.

Stopped etc as my initial post.

After I’d got onto the Service Manager, yesterday, one of his staff phoned me and went into detail about what had happened. He wrote it all down and said they’d see the codes when the car goes in.

If the car craps out before then, fine. I’ll respond appropriately.

Another 30 miles Wednesday, all okay.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Well, I took the car in at 8am. At least they appear to have started looking at it.

I did 200 miles with no reoccurrence. Rolling Eyes

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Dealership just phoned.

The fault is the vehicle engine timing solenoid. A £40 part, but 1 hour diagnostic and 2 hours fit apparently. Total cost would have been £588. Not one I’d heard of before tbh.

Anyway, it’s all covered under the LR extended warranty and the part is in stock.

Picked the car up, it’s fine. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum