Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Sorry did not get chance

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

Time for the report !

I would love to say that everything went well and I was very happy with my test tow, but unfortunately that's not the case. The car drove beautifully solo, but once the caravan was hitched up, it completely changed and became very 'jittery' and felt a lot less 'stable' and planted than my D3.

I gave it a good run up the M90 and at one point, it actually started snaking pretty badly, something that I have never experienced with either my D1 or D3. My caravan is correctly loaded with 100kg noseweight, it weighs in at 1500kg and I have 30 years towing experience. The cars tyre pressures were as per the handbook for fully loaded, which was 50psi rear and 44psi front. My caravans tyre pressures were also spot on.

I really don't know what the problem is, but I am now gutted, as I had been really looking forward to the D5's arrival, but unfortunately its not the towcar for me. I don't wish to disrespect the car in any way whatsoever, but if you are planning on towing with the D5, please make sure everything is exactly right with the noseweight, tyre pressures and caravan loading and please keep your speed down. I'm just sorry that I couldn't have given a more positive report Sad
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

So, it wasn't just me then Shocked TBH I am not sure whether I am pleased that I didn't imagine it or fed up that there could be an issue with the car.

Confused of Cambridge Crying or Very sad

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

B16 KJR wrote:
    Time for the report !

I would love to say that everything went well and I was very happy with my test tow, but unfortunately that's not the case. The car drove beautifully solo, but once the caravan was hitched up, it completely changed and became very 'jittery' and felt a lot less 'stable' and planted than my D3.

I gave it a good run up the M90 and at one point, it actually started snaking pretty badly, something that I have never experienced with either my D1 or D3. My caravan is correctly loaded with 100kg noseweight, it weighs in at 1500kg and I have 30 years towing experience. The cars tyre pressures were as per the handbook for fully loaded, which was 50psi rear and 44psi front. My caravans tyre pressures were also spot on.

I really don't know what the problem is, but I am now gutted, as I had been really looking forward to the D5's arrival, but unfortunately its not the towcar for me. I don't wish to disrespect the car in any way whatsoever, but if you are planning on towing with the D5, please make sure everything is exactly right with the noseweight, tyre pressures and caravan loading and please keep your speed down. I'm just sorry that I couldn't have given a more positive report Sad

Have you reported this to your dealer and LR

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

B16 KJR wrote:
    Time for the report !

Out of interest, what's the length of your van and is is a twin axle?

Cheers

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

Initially, I honestly thought that the problem had something to do with a conflict between your stability systems, but then you mentioned the bike rack, noseweight etc so I just put it down to that. However today, I found out for myself that the issue isn't related to those factors at all.

Russell, I have made the dealership aware and will be returning the car tomorrow so will have a chat to them in person.

Pdes, my caravan is 15 foot long, single axle.

I am sure that LR will get to the bottom of it and the D5 will become a great towbar, but in the meantime I would just urge a bit of caution especially in regard to speed and loading.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Are you rejecting the car and handing it back??? Sad
    Am taking the car transporter out on Saturday. If I have issues I will report on here once I have done the run. Thumbs Up
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

I only had it for an extended test drive so that I could confirm for myself that it would make a great towbar, so I hadn't actually bought it.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Oh well at least you can easily return it. Not good as if it doesn't cope with my car on the transporter then it looks like a definate cancellation as well. Hopefully not though. Shocked

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 7th Apr 2017 8:04 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

You al need to make sure the dealers log this and report it to LR ASAP and get then to chase it urgently

• PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Anyone tried with steering assist switched off ?

Last edited by PeterW on 7th Apr 2017 7:39 am. Edited 1 time in total

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • J77
    Scotland 

Do all these cars have the electric deployable tow bar? Could it be an issue with them?

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I did question in an earlier post if the towbars were fixed, deployable or detachable ones, and may be this was an issue? The deployable I had originally had some play in it, but after sticking it's now rock solid no play whatsoever. Just left it permanently deployed as scared it will stick again and I have too leave my trailer behind. (Already had my brand new twin axle Ifor Williams stolen a few years ago, so I dont want too go through all that again.) Sad
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Am not a fan of the deployable or detachable ones. In my opinion far safer bet with the fixed ones. Seems design aesthetics are taking over though. Mind you deployable and detachable do have their advantages, handy if not constantly towing, easily hidden or if offroading easily removed, and not knocking your knees of it. Censored Laughing
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Right after all the panic over stability made time today to get out with the caravan.

Car D5 1st edition with detachable tow bar no tow assist
    Caravan Swift Elegance 645 twin axle with ATC

Tyres all set at the recommenced weights and nose weight 105 kg

Drove about 45 miles on a variety of roads a lot of it was on a fast A roads with lots of traffic going both ways. Started off steady as was not sure what I may encounter, no real issues ad o be honest going out the town was more settled than the D4. Got on the open roads and found no issues, it is different to the D4 but every D4 has been different to the others anyway.
    After doing a few miles I was happy and went for it a bit more doing the speed limit and may be a bit more when safe to do so. I was happy with the way it handle and had no concerns at all, even tried a bit of swerving at speed to see how stable it was when the road was clear and safe to do so. I did not go on a motorway but did get buffeted by HGVs going the other way.
    Overall very happy and not concerned, am not saying this is a definitive test and that there will be no issues on a motorway or longer drive but could not get it to feel unsettled while on this run out.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum