Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

I'm feeling a lot of negativity on here. I'm not sure what car of similar type you are going get in much a reduced time frame. Yes, 18 months to 2 years is a stupid amount to wait and had that been known at the time of ordering. I probably wouldn't be here, but that wasn't the case. I've looked round rather superficially, and there's not any other cars I fancy. So, at the moment, I'm happy to proudly drive round in my 2017 model absolutely no embarrassments. Laughing
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Each to their own, we can only speak to our own experiences.

If the figures in the link are correct, then at 5,000 units last year, the Disco is on the way out.

As for what you’d replace it with. I am driving a Volvo XC60 T8 Inscription atm. It’s Disco sport size, but has the accolade as being one of the fastest production cars around with a 0-62 of under 5 seconds and everything works. Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Well if Disco is on its way out, maybe a future classic in 25 years time, so time to stow it away in a barn somewhere. 🤣

If anything, it's the Disco Sport drivers who look embarrassed when you pull along side. Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Didn’t say I’d buy a Disco Sport, the Volvo is a nicer car than that. You could always go for the new XC90 if size matters.😂

As for feeling embarrassed, try sitting in a car park waiting for LR assist or the AA to arrive!
  • Craigp
    England 

I've looked at the XC90 (used to have one many moons ago before this present model). Not driven one, just sat in it, but it doesn't excite me in anyway. It's a bit like the Audi just a big car. I tow a caravan which comes in at 2 tons so need something to match it. If my build date gets knocked back again I may have to re-evaluate my choices.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

5000 units in one year equates to £375 million. assuming an average price of £75k. Thats a turnover not to be sniffed at. Add to it FFRR, RRS. Defender, disco sport. and all Jaguar variants and turnover/ sales are in the Billions. 2021 it had profits of £660 million, 2022 losses of £400 million. Perhaps this year they will return to profit. If they get their act together and bring down the waiting period, things should be rosy. If TATA want to offload JLR I am sure there would be interested parties. I could imagine Chinese involvement .They have the money, intelect and ability to do so.Remember the chinese Evoque copy !!

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

Forgot to mention 215000 vehicle backlog ( or existing orders) equals approx £16 Billion, thats a tasty appetiser.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • eelpout
    United States 

Craigp wrote:
    Interesting read. Not so good if waiting for a new Discovery.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/20...-tempting/

Well. Crap.

I really don't want a Defender. More expensive, more utilitarian, less useful interior. Bah. Rolling Eyes

Hope they don't scrap the Disco platform redo they were thinking about, but with those numbers I could see why they might.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

I actually think the new Defender is a poor relation to the D5.
    The D5 is just as capable, has better loadspace and far superior rear access, When I priced up similar spec Defender and D5, the D5 came out cheaper. I don't know how many D5's are on back order, but I bet it equates to a small fortune and well worth the manufacture.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

You don’t believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny too do you?

It might be a fortune to us, but not to LR.

Anyway, back to cleaning my bike and hoping for the better weather!

• AAWM
    United Kingdom 

This is where I check out after waiting 16 months and no guarantee that the latest date will be held. Have cancelled my order and going to get something else.
    Latest D5 in showroom awaiting collection was for a customer who ordered 24 months ago!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

harrythespider wrote:
    I actually think the new Defender is a poor relation to the D5.
    The D5 is just as capable, has better loadspace and far superior rear access, When I priced up similar spec Defender and D5, the D5 came out cheaper. I don't know how many D5's are on back order, but I bet it equates to a small fortune and well worth the manufacture.

Hasn't this been the case since the Discovery was first introduced? It was nicer on the inside, more family friendly, and a better daily driver than the Defender. I think that still holds true. The Defender has better offroad geometry and offers more offroad-focused bangles and baubles like bash plates and winches, but the aftermarket has those in spades now for the D5.

I see both quite frequently here in Colorado - I'm just disappointed we can't get the D300 here, and they won't put the P400 in the D5 because then why would you need the Defender?
  • Craigp
    England 

AAWM wrote:
    This is where I check out after waiting 16 months and no guarantee that the latest date will be held. Have cancelled my order and going to get something else.
    Latest D5 in showroom awaiting collection was for a customer who ordered 24 months ago!

I honestly feel your pain. After your previous post I checked mine. It's still on course for a March delivery, but as with you that can change overnight. I checked the Defender out whilst in the show room (First time I've been back since placing my order in September 2021) I just don't like it. It just doesn't excite me in anyway it just feels dark and enclosed in the cabin. Let us know what you go with. I might be looking for ideas if mine goes belly up
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

@CraigP - out of interest, what model of Discovery and when did you place the order?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum