Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

Trevorb1 wrote:
    Looks like next Disco will come off EMA platform not MLA flex, no no ICE for next Disco.
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/3...-and-focus

That's a sobering article. Shocked

I imagine the Disco Sport is already on a build track on EMA, it's the larger one they are flummoxed about due to the Defender.

I'm a little confused then why they spilt into a Discovery group if they don't know it's future. ???
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Thats what I found strange when it was announced , As i could never see a business case that could justify such development cost with such a low sales demand vehicle . Lets face it as the Defender moves over platform the Discovery as we know it will die.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I said two years ago that there would not be another Disco as we know it and certainly no electric Discovery soon Big Cry
    Having spoke to a dealer within the last two weeks they have also now confirmed that there will be no electric Discovery in he near future. The current model cannot take the electrification required still allowing for 7 seats and as such will not get electrified. If there is any plans for an electric Discovery he thought it would be several years away.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

The more I read stuff like this the more I think the problem is that JLR do not want people to buy Discovery at the expense of Range Rovers or Defenders.

Now I have mine, and having had a couple of new Range Rovers as loan cars this year, the Disco seems like an absolute bargain. Same switch gear, same engines, same infotainment apart from the haptic feedback which is not as intuitive as you'd think, excellent interior quality, quiet, frugal,

The refinement of the current D300 base is excellent, and in Metropolitan spec you have most of the toys you get in the RR. Weirdly the IDD in the Disco has many more options than you get in the full RR which makes no sense.

The Disco tailgate is way more practical than the Defender's barn door, and although I know people bemoan the lack of true split tailgate on the D5, the bigger one provides more cover (from sun or rain) and the internal flap is great for an impromptu picnic with a view. It's also 100x more useful if you have a tow bar mounted bike rack or storage box.

The 8 seat Defender 130 is frankly a nonsense in the back. Unless you have six kids and no luggage to cart about all the time, the sheer length (no clearsight rear view either!!) and the massively compromised loadspace make it far less usable than the D5.

I really like the new Defender (in 90/110 form) and the interior is great, I also like the new RR, in PHEV form it's ultra quiet, but I'm not sure the RR is worth £50k more than a Metropolitan in decent spec, and if you need/want to use more than 5 seats the Defender is lacking.

JLR choose to prioritise Defender over D5, and I think it's because in the facelifted version, they've made it too good, and don't want people to cotton on. I wish someone like Harry's Garage would do a comparison with the D5 Metro and a RR and Defender. I think they'd be genuinely surprised.
  • WmDisco
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 SE Silicon Silver

For some reason its not popular to like the Disco 5. I still maintain that the Defender interior is not suited to touring as its got no places to carry paperwork, tissues, sweets, maps, breathalyser, vehicle documentation etc. Its all out in the open. D5 beats it hands down.
    I have previously mentioned the Survey I got form Landrover, after getting my car in March. One question asked (roughly) - what would you have bought if you could not get a Discovery? I would have to say I would struggle with that choice. RR is too expensive. Velar is too car like and does not appeal. Defender - poor interior and costed for nostalgia (especially the 75th edition 90).
    Looks like I may be hanging onto this D5 for some time. Electricifcation also doesn't suit 2000 mile holiday trips unless re-charging is guaranteed t be readily available and as easy as filling withjDiesel.
  • eelpout
    United States 

Quote:
    For some reason its not popular to like the Disco 5.

"How could anyone consider the D5 with that rear end!" - average Defender buyer. And that's where they stop looking at it at all. Neutral

If the RRS had the drop down platform instead of that stupid flip up bench, which cuts off space, I'd consider it as an alternative if the Disco were to disappear.

I have a reservation for a Rivian R1s and my dealer says they are losing some market to them locally (Silicon Valley). I imagine at least a couple of those buyers would be cross shopping Discoverys.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Makes me all the happier I got a MY23.5 delivered in June, which should give me plenty of time to think about replacement options in 2027, by which time we should have firm answers. And if no Disco 6 - agree unlikely - then plenty of other alternatives from other marques which take my fancy, I'd hope.

As OP have said, the more I drive this new car, the more I realise what a phenomenal long-distance cruising machine it is. It's a five-star car. I even love the styling. And it's just as good driving six miles to the office every morning too, on days when I'm not doing 600.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum