Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Worst air quality reading you've seen from your Disco?

Excuse the screen glare and fingerprints, but was shocked to take a look at the outside air quality the other day, when parking up, and it was shocking!

This was in North Cheam, Surrey, at about 6pm on a week night. Very localised, as a mile down the road it was back to a normal 8/9 for that time of day.

What's the worst reading you've seen, and where were you?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I've frequently seen it in the high hundreds. Dusty gravel tracks and smoke really push it up.

The highest I can remember was well over 700 when I was driving slowly along a dusty gravel track with a tail wind blowing my own dust back over me and alongside an army firing range where they were letting off smoke grenades!

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Blimey - had no idea! I was amazed that driving through central Paris in July it only got into the high 20s, and same on the M25 in rush-hour. Hadn't considered dust and real smoke, and what that could do...

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

A few days ago, just a bit misty outside…

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Interesting... I noticed the same last week. Every morning leaving for work around 6.45/7am and it was a tiny bit misty, and readings from 130 - 175.

• terryall
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Don’t have that feature on my 2019 HSE Lux. Or do I ?
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I confess to being a bit bemused as to why that feature is on any car. I know we all like gadgets and clever toys on our cars but can’t get my head round why we should pay for this recording feature when the very vehicle that’s recording it, is contributing to the problem. Makes me wonder if the software issues we all experience from time to time are being exacerbated by the level of complexity that’s been stuffed into the vehicles programming.

Think I am turning into a Luddite. Laughing
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

To a point, but the feature is linked to having the PM2.5 & other gubbins filtration system as a feature in newer models. And you only want/need to bother running it, when the outside air quality is sufficiently poor. Plus it monitors your inside air quality too.

Don't forget, in parts of the country, the air coming out the back of of a Euro VI diesel vehicle is cleaner than the air going into it (such is the level of pollution), so in some way we help to clean the air in places*.

* so said an article I read somewhere official a while back

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

I guess that was on the internet 😉
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

To be fair, it was the Euro 4/5 cars that were the main issue. In order to run the engines hotter which produces less soot, and therefore less strain on the DPF's, they were emitting way more NOx than was legal, not just 2-3x more, but 40-50x more. This was the whole dieselgate scandal. So instead of air quality getting better as the legislation was supposed to make happen, it got a lot worse.

Of course, politicians, rather than make those who caused the problem pay, instead think the solution is to further punish those people who were conned in the first place and hit those least likely to afford cleaner cars pay the most. 'Social justice' as Khan puts it.

Euro 6 cars are much, much better, and Land Rovers have been tested to be very clean for NOx, so I don't think they can be classed as the main contributors to poor air quality.

If you suffer from things like asthma, hayfever etc, then better filtering is not a bad thing, but was a new option on facelift D5's. Unless supply has improved, the only way to get it was on a Metropolitan as it was removed from all other models where it was an option. On the Metro it is (currently) standard.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum