Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

New LR owner (MY21 D300 R-Dynamic HSE)

Hi all - first post here!

Yesterday I collected my (new to me) MY21 D300 R-Dynamic HSE from JLR Rockar in Canary Wharf. It's a Santorini Black mid-21 plate, 1 owner, 29k miles. My first foray into JLR after more years than I care to remember in BMWs and more recently a MacanS & Cayenne GTS. The seed was sown after a fortnight in a Velar D300 HSE whilst my Cayenne was having work done; after that I was pretty keen on the brand.

The reason for the Disco5 was due to the impending arrival of our 3rd child, with an 11yr old daughter and 3yr old son already, we needed something to fit the family in comfort, in spite of the enormous car seats the younger two will be in. We looked at the Q7 and XC90 alongside the Disco and although both were marginally more practical with the independent 3 seats in 2nd row, the Disco won our hearts.

It terrifies me reading of all the potential pitfalls of Disco ownerhip, but I pushed the budget as far as I could to get into a facelift model in the hope that that would mitigate a lot of the risks. I'm very glad I did though, the new PiviPro and MHEV drivetrain is a revelation over the pre-facelift cars I drove.

Picked it up yesterday - had a 50mile trip home on a nice varied route (urban leaving E London, motorway up to Cambridge and then some country roads). Very pleased with the fuel economy c. 33mpg. And very comfortable.

Shame the preparation from Rockar wasn't all it could've been. Tyres were below recommended pressures (by 6psi each), overzealous valeting of the carpet mats meant they were pretty wet still at handover and the centre console trim around the volume knob in front of the gearlever is scratched to billyo. I'd have expected that to have been Smart repaired or replaced prior to retailing the car.

Anyway, all those issues aside, which I've been assured by Rockar will be resolved to my satisfaction, I'm delighted with the car. Absolutely loves the composure and refinement of the ride (in spite of the 22" rims). The interior is comfortable and sumptuous, the engine is responsive and far swifter than it has any right to be(!) and it's far more frugal than I could've hoped for also.

Normal kiddy/family duties now for the next 6-8wks, then a long roadtrip to Ireland to visit the In-Laws for New Year. Can't wait! Smile

2021 Discovery MHEV D300 R-Dynamic HSE
    Towing Pack, Roofrails, Fixed Sidesteps, Fr & R Mudguards, Cooler Cubby, Surround Sound
  • sudds
    United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum.

I am sure you will enjoy the D5, especially the D300 engine, it is sublime and quite frugal and as you say it shouldn't accelerate like it does Very Happy
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I'll echo that - welcome - sounds like a super car, in the only colour cars should be manufactured in too. I never understand why anyone would want anything but a black car! Laughing

Keep us posted with how you get on, and some pics would be good too. I've had nearly 5 years of very reliable D5 motoring, so fingers crossed you're the same, and that this enjoyable patch continues for me too!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Spuffington
    United Kingdom 

So I thought I would update a little on this:

I've had the car now just over 6months. There were a few issues, as I noted in the original post, which involved poor prep. The trim around the volume knob was badly scratched, then I subsequently noticed the RH temperature/fan dial was pulling away and broken, there was huge wind noise >60mph which seemed to be coming from the A-pillar and then on top of that, I noticed the tyres were <3mm when I did my first wash.

Rockar took the car back in early March and provided me with a brand new (2k on the clock) Metropolitan Edition with massage seats & opening pan roof. This taught me both just how much was wrong with my car in terms of the windscreen (no scuttle shake or noise) but also made me wish I'd bought a Metropolitan with extended windsor leather. Unfortunately budget wouldn't run to it at the time and now very difficult to justify the cost-to-change. However, I have promised myself I'll move into a lightly used one in due course if I continue to enjoy JLR ownership.

After two months (and 2.4k miles on the loaner), I got my car back and everything is fixed and it's running beautifully. Whilst it was in, the centre console trim was replaced, new knobs fitted for climate control, windscreen was removed and resealed and roofrails added (part of the initial deal). They also did a health check and found the rear pads were <3mm which I found extraordinary for an approved used car, so complained and get them supplied & fitted free of charge.

In the meantime, my 3yr old Son had grown accustomed to getting himself in and out with the fixed side steps and I had got used to the visual appeal, so whilst complaining to Rockar about general state of presentation and preparation, I ended up getting a deal to supply & fit front & rear mudguards free of charge and they gave me a 25% discount on supply & fit of the side-steps. A good result, because I'd probably have done it anyway. Saved me £700 on those two bits.

So now the vehicle is back with me, it's pressed back into usual family service with the three kids. We've also just booked to head to the Loire Valley for 3wks in the summer, so looking forward to a proper roadtrip. Thule roofbars and roofbox purchased, so we'll be all set! Smile

The issues were annoying, but I really can't complain when I had such a good loan car. I loved the Metropolitan so much and very jealous of owners who have one. But I'm also very pleased with my car and love having it back. Long may the enjoyment continue! Cool

Here’s the trim before & after

Here’s the car after a first wash before it went in for the upgrades and then after, most recently when it came back:

And then part of the fleet when the neighbours thought we had his & hers cars!

And finally, here with its stablemate, my beloved MY23 Knaus BoxDrive 600XL on a MAN TGE 4.180 4x4 auto chassis.

2021 Discovery MHEV D300 R-Dynamic HSE
    Towing Pack, Roofrails, Fixed Sidesteps, Fr & R Mudguards, Cooler Cubby, Surround Sound
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Very nice result, the vehicle fleet and the location both look great Thumbs Up

2024 Discovery Metropolitan D300 - Offroad & Towing Packs - Varesine Blue
    2019 Discovery HSE SDV6
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Welcome to the forum your car looks fab, I’m on my second discovery and I’m very pleased to they are great cars to drive.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails, side steps & mud flaps and dash cam front & back..
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I've got house jealousy... that looks really nice too!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum