Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Do you currently have a dashcam installed in your Discovery?20 Votes
    Yes 55%/11
    No 45%/9
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Dashcams... do you, or don't you? And would you recommend?

Been considering a Dashcam for my D5, but can't work out if I really want one or not... And if I do, how much is it worth spending to get the core functionality you'd want, and whether front is good enough, or front & back is a necessity?

What do you have, and are you happy with it? And if it broke, would you replace it, or happily do without on reflection?

I'm not looking at Blackvue kind of money... more £200ish... if it's worth it?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I know what you say about price, but …

Anyway, I’ve got a BlackVue front and back. It’s compact, runs faultlessly and the images are good quality.

You get what you pay for tbh.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I run a pair of Viofo mini 2's, front is powered from the 12v socket in upper glove box, rear is powered from the USB port in LH rear cubby (24my), currently well happy, cost circa £120 each, first came from Viofo UK, when on offer, 2nd came from Viofo direct in China, both delivered in less than 1 week. If registered, warranty is 18 months, return to UK or China. I did alot of research and the dashcam forum came up with Mini2 as about best. 2K resolution, mine are not wired for parking, although that is an option if you get the hardwire kit.
    Dashcam Talk is a good source of info, predominantly USA lead but there are European contributors

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I have a front blackvue.

It paid for itself when a council van came round a corner well over the white line and smashed my wing mirror. On the initial phone call to the council, it started as "that will be a knock for knock then if you met on a narrow road". It changed to "yes, of course we'll pay, no problem" when they saw the video.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Nope…

I might sometimes, strictly hypothetically speaking of course, be tempted to drive a little briskly in the right circumstances.

Don’t think I’d want to provide video footage to the police of any minor infraction that may then occur, and I believe they can access and use it against you if it is fitted.

2024 Discovery Metropolitan D300 - Offroad & Towing Packs - Varesine Blue
    2019 Discovery HSE SDV6
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Very very interesting thoughts & opinions, thank you.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Tojo
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I'm having fitted a Thinkware T700 LTE 2CH Dash Cam with SIM card plus battery back up so it doesn't drain the vehicle battery when in park mode.
    All in with fitting £608...
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Have gone with it... BlackVue DR770X-1CH Dash Cam (front), with BlackVue CM100LTE connectivity module, being fitted on Monday. I was sold on it by the advice on BlackVues in the comments below (thank you).

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Could have DIY. It’s an easy route for the wire. 😁
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Not in a million years. Laughing Shocked Some people have DIY abilities, I am not one of them. Talents elsewhere!

I do diesel, AdBlue, air and valeting. For anything else, there's an expert req'd.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum