Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

Middle row headrests not folding automatically

Hi I am new to this site. I have a 2017 SD4 HSE Disco . When I fold the middle row seats from the boot area the headrests have suddenly stopped folding down so as soon as the seat hits the front seat it stops.
    It used to do it but has stopped .

Can anyone help please?
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

After you push the rear switch does the headrest still feel locked or can you fold it manually without pressing the side button? My middle headrest was always a bit slower than its companion to drop.

To be honest I find all the rear headrests obstruct rear view so much I travel 90% of the time with them all down anyway, so haven’t noticed any deterioration with time in the auto disengage.
  • Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

The headrest can be folded manually but it's a bit of a pain as it is supposed to fold down automatically.
    I have only had the car a month and they used to click and fold immediately after pushing the folding button.
    Do you think seat position can affect it?
    I also travel with the middle headrest down and did wonder if that was part of the issue.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

If the nearside seat is working its unlikely to be seat position/ rake as it’s joined? to the middle seat.

I have always assumed there was some sort of spring? inside the headrest that came into play once the lock was released …either manually or electronically from the rear.

Does the middle headrest have the same resistance to movement as the others when you lift it back up?

Last edited by Wolfpack on 9th Jul 2024 3:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

All of the middle row do not lower when the button is pushed.
    All headrests are the same and fold and return manually with the same pressure.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Sorry misread middle row for middle headrest
  • Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

no worries
  • Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

actually I have just had a fiddle and when I put the centre headrest up and then pushed the seat fold button the middle headrest automatically folded down but the other 2 did not
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

Do you have the option to drop the headrests individually from the display?
    Do you hear the solenoids operate in each headrest?

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

I do not have the option to drop them from the display .
    I do hear the click but it's tricky to differentiate whether all are engaging.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I have found occasionally that using the centre back rest down can result in it not latching back for some sensor which causes the automation to fail, so it might be worth pulling it down and re-latching again to see if that helps... sounds daft, but happened on mine and then the larger split of two seats just refused to go down flat ....
  • Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Ian , I did try that and sadly still not working. I have it in a garage at the moment so hopefully they can fix it
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I have to say I find the motorised seats in my D5 to be a complete pain in the Censored They're too slow, unpredictable, and when you're cleaning or loading the car, the motors time out so you end up closing doors, cycling the ignition etc. just to be able to move the damn things. You can't even control them from the app like you could initially either. Just a complete waste of tech and energy. The manual seats I had in my Discovery Sport, and had on my original D5 spec before I was 'forced' into a Metropolitan are much more practical!
  • Wingnut
    United Kingdom 

To be honest the seat operation is fine it is just the outside headrests that do not fold automatically.
    Also the front seats move forward to allow the middle row to fold but then the front seats do not return to their original position....even if I have manually folded the headrests down.
    I took it into JLR and they said"we don't think the headrests automatically fold" haha .
    I had to show them a video illustrating that they are supposed to then show them how the front seats do not return.

they are still"investigating the matter" but as yet have not got back to me.....

Such a pain.

You would think that JLR would know what their cars did.
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Indus Silver

For info: On mine, the front seat only moves forward if the rear seat is not in the fully back position when you hit the fold buttons. I also think that the passenger front seat does not move back if it moves forward during the fold, annoying. This is how I know about making sure the rear seats are right back….
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum