Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Rows 2 & 3 Electric Seat Failure

A couple of months back I started to have issues with the second and third row seats. It first manifested itself as a problem with the row two seat back tilt switch to allow access to the third row, sometimes pressing the switch of top of the seat back would work, and sometimes nothing would happen. Progressively things got worse, so that sometimes pressing the switches in the boot would not work, and sometimes they would, but eventually no buttons worked at all, and none of the seats would operate.

Took it to the local independent, and he tried to reset the ECU controlling the seats, and intitially that worked, but soon the problems re-emerged, and now reset is not possible.

Anyone else had this? Took it to LR dealer, they are also having issues diagnosing what is wrong! Having to wait until 21/9 for one of their electronics gurus to look at it. Crying or Very sad
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

Are they OK if the engine is running?

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 

Makes no difference, ignition on or off, or on and engine running! Crying or Very sad
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

I only asked as I have found that the modules are very intolerant of low battery voltage and quickly stop and the engine needs to be started to get the voltage back up.

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • maffffster
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

interesting, Following this topic as I have very similar issue with mine and wonder if it covered by the LR warranty
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 

Sadly mine is well outside the warranty period, but if yours is still inside I cannot see why it should not be.covered.
  • hughmartin
    Scotland 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I bought a new Metropolitan last Sept. The second row seat failed in the folded position a few weeks later. It was fixed by the dealer and the worksheet said "Checked and found all ok - found collision turned on which disables function. Turned off collision and calibrated seats. All ok". I haven't had an explanation as to what this "collision" function is.

The seat failed again in mid July but I couldn't get it booked in until end of August. It started working again intermittently but, unfortunately, when I took the car in for repair it was working and they wouldn't do anything. They wouldn't even calibrate the seat. I was told if it failed again, I was to take a video of me trying to operate the seat and they would send it to LR.

I knew when I bought this car the seats would be a problem. They should have a manual override to allow the seat to be raised manually.
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 

Never got to the bottom of the issue with mine, decided to sell the thing and vowed never to buy another Land Rover product. Bought a Korean car, half the price of a Discovery. Seats work perfectly, manually operated, no pointless electrical nonsense. Oh, and my insurance is half what it was too to boot Rolling with laughter .

2011 SE Loire Blue Traded In
    2017 HSE Santorini Black - Now gone
  • Madrilleno
    England 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Santorini Black

hughmartin wrote:
    I bought a new Metropolitan last Sept. The second row seat failed in the folded position a few weeks later. It was fixed by the dealer and the worksheet said "Checked and found all ok - found collision turned on which disables function. Turned off collision and calibrated seats. All ok". I haven't had an explanation as to what this "collision" function is.

The seats are 'smart' (hahaha). This is referring to the seat controller working out whether folding (or unfolding) a seat will be affected by another seat's position. It should move the other seat and continue. For example, if a front row seat is fully in the rearward position, the second row cannot fold down. It should then move the front row until it isn't in the way any more, and then complete the movement.

Interestingly, also this "If the rear window isolator button is pressed to inhibit operation of the rear windows, electric rear seat movement is also inhibited."

There are two rules for success,
    1. Never tell everything you know.
  • gavsta

hughmartin wrote:
    I knew when I bought this car the seats would be a problem. They should have a manual override to allow the seat to be raised manually.

Couldn't agree more with that statement.

When new, my Metropolitan had an issue with one of the 3rd row seats not deploying. It would do it's thing, then when it looked to be fully deployed, the seat would fold again back to the stowed position. The dealer resolved the calibration fault very quickly, saying it's a common issue.

We never use the 3rd row seats, but I tried to deploy them again recently. Exact same issue with one, although I cannot recall if it's the same side as before.

That got me thinking that if we needed to use that 7th seat, without a manual override, it would be a call to LR Assist, which seems crazy.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum