Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Xternalhunter
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si4 HSE Lux Scotia Grey

Discovery 5 2017 windscreen leak

Hi guys

I’m Rob, just joined here but been on disco3 forum for years!

Past few weeks noticed a leak similar to other reports and with hose isolated to what I think is leaking through the top of the windscreen seal.

I thought it might be the panoramic sunroof but it’s static and it seemed to be ok as I kept the water away from it best I could. It’s building up around the top of the windscreen frame and dripping through the alarm module and down the windscreen and side pillars. I’ve taped it up but it’s still getting in oddly.

The front of the gulleys down the side I am suspicious of but it does seem like the front of the windscreen. I wanted to check that this is a full glass replacement and not just the seal at the top swap?

Do I then need it recalibrating and such for heating and lane assist/rain sensors please? Auto glass said it would need calibration, but won’t touch it unless it’s cracked. Dealer has not replied but indies have said they don’t touch windscreens

Cheers guys
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

When the Auto glass technicians tackled my windscreen leak they predicted it was 95% likely to be the bonding primer on the glass. They warned me that removing the windscreen might cause it to break requiring a new windscreen…but in fact it didn’t and they were right! The black primer that is supposed to be bonded to the glass, to give the sealant a firm adhesion, could be scratched off with a finger nail. So the glass was lifting free leaving the primer stuck to the sealant. They cleaned and replaced everything and 2 years and counting, it’s still ok (fingers crossed).

Regarding the camera. They said there was a chance mine might need recalibration and if it did not to go to JLR dealer who charge double their fee for doing it. As it happened mine didn’t need recalibration …presumable because the same ensemble was replaced rather than a new windscreen.

I suspect their reaction to you is likely motivated by a desire make a new windscreen sa£e rather than a lift off and replace.
  • Xternalhunter
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for your help dude.

Insurance covered the removal for you?

They offered to do it but I would need to pay the fees and risk of breakage fee.

I assume the insurance is picky with covering removals and maybe they just say no now :/

I really don’t want to damage my windscreen but I’m a bit stuck and JLR won’t come back at all..
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

The car was still on extended warranty at the time and they were struggling to solve another issue. I suggested they had done something to the car while in their workshops to which they immediately sprang to their defence by saying it was a known problem with some Discoveries. Clang!
    “Then solve it” was my response.

They agreed to do it as a gesture of goodwill. They also arranged, at my request, to do it at my home to avoid further disruption to my use of the vehicle. In truth I just wanted to talk to the technicians direct and see what was wrong. Very useful exercise.
  • Xternalhunter
    United Kingdom 

Oh damn, how known do you think? Is it worth me writing to Land Rover to kick off?

I’m getting nowhere with trying to contact the stealers, I’ve not tried ringing directly though.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Well it’s so well known that JLR now exclude it from their warranty!!!

Several people on here have had the problem…and maybe along to give their perspective.

Perhaps I was lucky to get it done foc.

I did found going into the dealers was far more effective than waiting for them to return calls. In fact they didnt ever return any of my calls…it’s JLR policy I suspect.
  • Xternalhunter
    United Kingdom 

Thanks mate.

Yes it sounds like it… makes sense having to go in there. I had them reprogramme a set of keys for me and the AA dropped it off to them and they sorted it.

Not sure why they wouldn’t look at it again when I asked as they said I had to pay a check in fee and a pre check before they’d do anything at all with it.

Cheers
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

At the end of the day, it may be down to persistent face to face ‘reasoning’ with your local dealership.

Good old fashioned ‘burr under the saddle’ approach.

Incidentally, it may be who you speak to. On the phone, I was told I had to pay 2 diagnostic fees to listen to two different noises. However when I went in to argue the case they said this wasn’t correct.

Not sure it would work on a leaking windscreen but I was told by an independent landy garage in the event of a mechanical, where you knew what was wrong, to say to the dealer that the AA diagnosed the fault at the roadside. You will pay the diagnostic fee on the condition that if the diagnosis you gave then is confirmed, they return the fee. Never had cause to try this because…….

I went into my dealer with my D4 and it’s known fault but before I could start the discussion, the wife saw a D5 on the forecourt she liked ….and we ended up trading in the D4 ( fault unmentioned). Rolling Eyes
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum