Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

I would be certain that the guys that have reported on here all have shocks fitted to there vans. Also anti snake mechanism. So we will see. If the car dosnt turn up tomorrow I will be using the D4 for the next fortnight. So fingers crossed for tomorrow.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Sorry was just a light bulb moment. I was not trying too insult anyones intelligence.
    I am not a caravan owner, but am eager too find out the possible cause of the swaying. Plus car trailers with shocks are quite rare I been told. Yes fingers crossed yours arrives tomorrow. Thumbs Up I just managed too suss out how too put videos up just now so I posted the video my salesman sent me yesterday. Apologies for the sound and picture quality as the sun was shining. I had to play it via my TV as sound on phone was very low.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

When I started this thread and this discussion got going, I decided to write to JLR Customer Services to get the potential problems on the radar as soon as possible. I recognize that there are probably as many people towing with no problems as those who think something is wrong. It seems that the longer the caravan, the more exaggerated the "problem". Even if it is proved that there is no problem, from my point of view, I would like to be reassured by JLR that all is definitely OK. TO this end, I sent them the mail below and received the attached response.

As we all know, there are very few actual experiences to form a solid opinion but hopefully, as the towing gets going, more will post their experiences here.

To JLR:

Sirs,

Could you please pass this to the design or safety team for the Discovery 5.

I have been a Discovery owner for 25 years, and have purchased a new vehicle every two or three years. I think you could consider me to be a highly experienced Discovery owner!

I took delivery of my All New Discovery (D5) in mid march and immediately hitched up my caravan for a weekend away. Bear in mind that I had just traded in my 2 year old D4 and could compare this with the D5. The D4 was an impeccable tow car and the caravan was rock-solid when being towed. I had been reading all the reviews on the D5 since last year and I had high hopes of the D5 being the ultimate tow car.

Unfortunately, the elation quickly turned to disappointment as the caravan became twitchy and unstable as speed increased and at one point, the swaying became so exaggerated that the emergency Alko braking system took over and slowed the car.

All balancing nose weight and tyre pressures were checked and they were all in accordance with the caravan and car specifications. I passed this information to my dealer and asked them to escalate to JLR. Meanwhile I conducted some more tests and managed to slightly improve the instability but not to a point where it even came close to the stability of the D4.

Being an early adopter, very few, if any others were able to comment on their towing experiences but of late, others are starting to use the D5 to tow caravans. I started a discussion on the D5 forum and I would urge you to look at the discussion and follow developments as contributors here are the true, hardened Discovery owners. The thread is here: https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread300.html

In summary, I and it seems others, are beginning to be seriously concerned that the towing stability of the D5 may not be acceptable and may, in fact, be unsafe.

I would welcome your comments and be happy to help in any investigation.

Response from JLR

Thank you for your email.

I am happy to learn of your great comments and continuous interest in our brand.

We at Land Rover take customer feedback very importantly and to learn of your comments and that of many others will help us ensure that the vehicles we produced are designed and manufactured to meet and exceed expectations of our existing and potential customers.

However I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the towing experience you are having with your recently purchased your All New Discovery.

This information has now been highlighted and I will ensure that the relevant department who oversee our product are aware. I will be taking the opportunity to discuss the findings of Marshalls, Bedford to ensure that all the relevant information has been fed back through the business regarding the concerns you have raised.
    Should you experience any further difficulty with this in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me or Marshalls and we will be happy to continue offering our support.

Yours sincerely

Nahid Khan
    Case Manager
    UK Customer Relationship Centre

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Craigp
    England 

So what support have they already provided?
    It also seems they acknowledge your opinion that the towing is Censored but if it gets Censored then please get back in touch. You must feel well reassured from that response. Can't wait to get mine Shocked
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Looks to me like a holding note from a call centre person but at least there is a case number so it is "logged". I'll post any further responses.

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

On Sunday, I was a passenger for the first time. This was without the caravan Rolling Eyes What surprised me was the amount of lateral movement I experienced in the front seat. It was just a feeling of rythmic sideways motion and this was on a motorway. Under normal circumstances, I would just put this down to the characteristics of the car and a suspension system that differed from the D4. However, given the discussion here, it made me wonder if this was a contributing factor the the issues some of us have experienced. If I could feel some lateral movement in the front seats, this could be magnified at the towball and hence transferred to the caravan, again magnified by the length of the trailer.

Just another observation. Probably not relevant but you never know.........

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

My car is absolutely rock solid on the motorway, sounds like something is really wrong with your car?
  • J77
    Scotland 

My one is running on 19" wheels and it feels planted on the road.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Had a chance to drive a D5 and tow at the weekend. Only a 15 mile trip but involved motorway and B roads. Had a twin axle Ifor flatbed with the same load both ways. I have towed this trailer for thousands of miles in D3 and 4's and know it very well. The D5 seemed very light and did get a bit twitchy on the Motorway which seemed to start when coasting down a gradient. It wasn't a complete disaster but It didn't feel as planted and "sure" as the D4, you certainly remained aware you were towing with the D5.

Now, coming back on the same roads, same trailer, same load BUT with 10 bags of postcrete in the boot the car was much better. It felt very stable, and I can only put it down to the weight in the boot? Whats that about 200kg?
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

Here a thought. What's the distance between the rear wheel centre and the tow ball? It looks from the pictures like it might be longer than the T5 chassis? This would make it easier for a trailer to 'sway' the car, especially as the car is lighter.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

I can't measure the distances ATM as the van is in storage but it's a good observation. I'll check it when I get a chance. However, a rough estimate suggests the dimensions are about equal.

The other"oddity" is that the tyre spec recommends, per the handbook, setting up the rear tyres for a full load (50 psi) when towing but there is no mention of raising the pressure of the front tyres. Maybe keeping the front tyres at the low pressure makes the front a little more "sticky" and helps with stability.

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

Are you sure that the front tyres don't have to be inflated to 44psi for a full load ?
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

No, I'm not sure. It's just that the manual only mentions the rear tyre pressures. However, it seems logical if the rest of the car is not fully loaded.

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

Check the figures shown on the 'B' pillar sticker Thumbs Up
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

That's for a fully loaded car and doesn't refer to towing. I often tow the van with "light" load in the car.

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum