Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• B16 KJR
    Scotland 

I think the advice for towing, was to use the 'fully loaded' figures ?
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

From the manual, page 127,

"Increase the rear tyre pressure on the towing vehicle to those for the maximum vehicle loading conditions"

No mention of the front tyres.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Craigp
    England 

Before I set off the other day I blew my tyres up for max weight the pressures indicated at the side of the pillar show as 45 front 50 rear. I then altered the setting in the car to heavy load. Drove a little way then the alarm came on for low tyre pressure. Apparently the heavy load setting wants to see 50 psi all round.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

If you look at the vehicle information in the vehicle menu, does it say 50psi on the front for a heavy load ? Mine doesn't Surprised

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Craigp
    England 

Not looked at the manual but if you look at the menu in the car under tyre pressure setting it says 50 psi all round for heavy load. Which is different from the D4 which had a different settings for front and back.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Ah, didn't see that setting as I have been referring to the 21 inch, 275s. I am not sure what your tyres are other than they are 19 inchers.

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I found time over the holiday weekend to do some testing:

Car: Disco 5, 2 Litre, HSE, deployable tow bar - advanced tow assist was not fitted.
    Caravan: Coachman Pastiche 470/2 2009 (Alko ATC but no other fancy aids)
    Nose weight: 101kg (measured via calibrated Milenco gauge)
    Tyres: Default pressures on car and caravan.
    Venue: 9,000ft of closed runway (dry, ultra smooth surface and no traffic)

The car's built in tow bar gave the nose weight as 90 - 115 Kg. The known nose weight was 101kg so it's pretty much in the middle of the measured range but it's disappointing that the car is giving a 25kg range and not a more accurate measurement. Repeated re-measures gave the same result each time.

Towing was rock solid up to 60mph
    At 70 mph the caravan began to be more sensitive to steering inputs.
    At 80 mph the caravan felt extremely lively and it was not a nice feeling at all. Every steering input felt like it was being fought and a minor wobble on the van made the back end of the car feel as if it was pushed by the towed weight and I was losing control.
    At 90 mph the van twitched and it was just horrible. I was fighting the swing all the way until we slowed down below 60 mph.

I will be sticking to 60 on the open road. Even a brief foray to 65 felt pretty lively. The D4 could tow the same van up to 75 before it became unpleasant.

Click image to enlarge

It was much more fun at 0 mph with a chilled glass of sauvingnon blanc.
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I wonder if this Topix report refers to weight accuracy?

Outstanding Campaigns
    There are currently no outstanding Field Service Actions for this vehicle

"Activity Stream

Planned TOPIx outage:

Before buying programming subscriptions

SSM73335 - Multi Height Tow Bar Hitch Assist Feature Poor Accuracy"

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

The multi height tow bar is the fixed one isn't it?

I think hitch assist refers to the change of camera angle when you get near the trailer allowing you to line up the ball and the hitch. Perhaps the "red dot" is shown in the wrong place if you adjust the height of the tow bar?
  • Natwest
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I don't tow so please don't shoot me down in flames!

Question: When my Dad used to tow "in the eighties" (different times), I thought the UK speed limit was 50 MPH, seeing speeds quoted of 60 - 90 MPH has something changed in the years since Question Wink

Now: 19MY Velar D240 HSE R-Dynamic
    On order: 20MY Discovery SD6 HSE w. Dynamic pack
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Quote:
    When towing, you are restricted to a maximum speed of 50mph on single carriageway roads, and 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways, provided no lower limit is in force.

You will notice the venue for my test was a runway where speed limits don't apply. Towing at slightly higher speeds than allowed on the road is a good test of how stable the outfit combination really is.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

stuart_f wrote:
    The multi height tow bar is the fixed one isn't it?

I think hitch assist refers to the change of camera angle when you get near the trailer allowing you to line up the ball and the hitch. Perhaps the "red dot" is shown in the wrong place if you adjust the height of the tow bar?

Yes the multi height is the fixed one, which i got fitted on the D5. Not as symmetrical or nice looking as the D4 tow bar, fixed multi height that i had though.

However I think its better than the removable and deployable in my opinion, as it can be adjusted for different trailers and caravans which have various wheel sizes, so that the towed vehicles not pitching upwards or downwards, so its easy too have the towed vehicle more or less level, by simply adjusting the height Thumbs Up

Not too mention it wont stick like the deployable, and looks a heck of a lot stronger.

Mind you am a pauper so i cant afford 2K on the deployable unlike some of the elite on here Rolling with laughter

That extra 1k is a decent size ifor williams trailer Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 10:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • bullova06
    United Kingdom 

My first post

Possibly in wrong place
    I'm only new on here getting as much Disco 5 user knowledge as I can...dealers are reluctant to let me test drive with my 3500kg trailer loaded. I've asked about all seem to be the same.
    My needs are a replacement of my current Disco....autumn time....it's to be a serious tow car for my work.
    Is this all there is about towing experiences ?
    Which of the hitches has multi hieght adjustment - the hard copy brochure, easier to read than a small very scratched laptop screen isn't giving anything away.

Thanks in advance.
    Couldn't find the welcome page - post to introduce myself.
  • Natwest
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

See if the CRC (Customer Relationship Centre) can help? LR Experience may also do something that could help?

Now: 19MY Velar D240 HSE R-Dynamic
    On order: 20MY Discovery SD6 HSE w. Dynamic pack
  • J77
    Scotland 

Re: My first post

bullova06 wrote:
    Possibly in wrong place
    I'm only new on here getting as much Disco 5 user knowledge as I can...dealers are reluctant to let me test drive with my 3500kg trailer loaded. I've asked about all seem to be the same.
    My needs are a replacement of my current Disco....autumn time....it's to be a serious tow car for my work.
    Is this all there is about towing experiences ?
    Which of the hitches has multi hieght adjustment - the hard copy brochure, easier to read than a small very scratched laptop screen isn't giving anything away.

Thanks in advance.
    Couldn't find the welcome page - post to introduce myself.

Welcome

I don't tow so can't help much but you need the fixed tow bar if you need multi height Thumbs Up

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum