Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Hi Bullova06,
    Below is the extract from the D5 price list, there is only 1 height adjustable towbar, the removable and deployable are both fixed heights. (BTW I believe the prices shown are for dealer fit)

I have had only positive towing experiences so far with the horse trailer and 2 full size horses (approx 2.2-2.5T gross weight), tomorrow will be the first outing with the caravan (single axle approx 1.6T), occasionally tow a 10 X 5 Ifor Williams with circa 2T but not done this yet with the D5.

Disco 5 First Edition, Namib Orange,
  • Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

Afternoon all,

just been reading thread asrecently come back from a trip to Wales with our new D5.

We've got a single axle Sterling 590, and it was our 1st trip towing in the D5. AS it was a 2 week trip, but I was working the 1st week, my wife was following in the 2nd car, while I pulled the shed with my 8 yrs old.
    I generally stick to 60mph, and go up to 63/64 when overtaking a lorry in the 2nd lane before easing off again......not this time.
    Below 50 mpg, the cars pretty steady, but on the M4 I noticed the van swaying more than I ever felt in our D4 previously, and when I went to overtake a lorry at 63, the whole van started to sway. My wife was following and phone me to say that it was visible....told her she should try it from the drivers seat...even my 8 yrs old was shouting down the line he could feel the whole car moving from side to side, and the auto brakes started to cut in. I had to ease off to 55 before the car settled down again. I have to say it was a rather bum clenching moment. After that I stuck to 58/60, and although it swayed a couple of times, was fairly stable...Back roads in Wales at 50 had no problem at all.
    On the way back I moved our awning from the boot to the van and placed it just forward of the axle, but still noticed it swaying, to the point I pulled over and pushed it as far forward as possible to get as much weight forward as possible. I t did help, but the van still swayed.
    Towing with our D4 previously, I had no such problems...the van was rock solid, and I've also towed the van with an SQ5, and although you could feel the weight, it was also stable as anything.
    I checked my tyres, and they where both spot on, so don't know whats causing it.
    All I know is that I told my wife, the D5 doesn't tow nearly as well as our old D4. I am a little dissapointed , as apart from that, the D5 is lovely, and feels a real step up from the D4.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Craig - That's quite alarming! What kind of tow bar and do you have advanced tow assist fitted?

Craig_d1 wrote:
    I checked my tyres, and they where both spot on,

Spot on for the heavy or light settings?
  • Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

Hi Stuart,
    I've got the D5 HSE Lux, 21" exterior dynamic pack with electric deployable towbar...
    According to LR website, comes with:-
    Front and Rear Towing Hooks
    Trailer Stability Assist (TSA) (require an official JLR towbar)

Our D4 had the standard detachable towbar, and the SQ5 had a manual swivelling towbar.

Tyres were 65psi both, as stated on the plate by door. They were slightly down so topped them up just before I left(single axle has much higher psi compared to twin)

'Alarming' summed it up quite nicely. 'Sweat inducing' also come to mind Smile
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Did you check the pressures on the D5 tyres?

Sorry for all the questions but it would be good to find out why some people can tow without an issue and others like you (and to a lesser extent me) have stability problems.
  • Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

Hi Stuart,
    to be fair, no I didn't check the tyres on the D5....being a new car with only 600 miles on the clock, I assumed my dealer would of given it to me in tip top shape. I'll double check on the weekend.
    I've just been given another as a loan car while our Evoque goes in for some warranty work...Shame it doesn't have a towbar, otherwise I could take it for a comparison.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Sorry, I've not been clear what I'm asking.

The D5 has 2 different tyre pressures depending on whether you have a "light" 2 adults and 2 kids type load and a "heavy" setting for when you fill it to the guts or tow.

The pressures are quite different.

If I can borrow Peter's picture:

Click image to enlarge

Your 21" rims would go from 34 front 37 rear all the way up to 44 front and 50 rear for the heavy setting. (Don't forget to change the TPM settings if you inflate the tyres to the heavy pressures)

I would imagine the dealer would fill to the "light" setting, try giving the higher pressures a go and see if it tows any better.
  • Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

Ah, gotcha,
    No I didn't increase the tyre pressures....Then again, the nose weight of the caravan was 100kg, or a heavy man, and we had an air awning and empty cool box in the boot....Apart from that it was me and my 8 yes old in the car, so combined I'd hardly call us a heavy load(7adults and luggage would weight a huge amount more), so i wouldn't of though I'd need to increase tyre pressure....
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

I could speculate that the location of the weight of the caravan (aft of the rear suspension) makes more of a difference than a load distributed between the axles and while it might sound convincing I'd just be making it up. Laughing

All I will say is the extra pressure in the tyres made mine feel better.
  • Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

Who knows, I'll give it a go anyway next time we go somewhere...Better yet, I'll take the spare car, and let my wife drive Thumbs Up
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

stuart_f wrote:

Your 21" rims would go from 34 front 37 rear all the way up to 44 front and 50 rear for the heavy setting. (Don't forget to change the TPM settings if you inflate the tyres to the heavy pressures)

I still think there needs to be clarity regarding the front tyre pressures when towing. The handbook only refers to the rear tyres. If you think about it, adding 100kg behind the rear axle doesn't translate into a full load per the pillar sticker. If anything, it will lighten the load on the front tyres.

Now the evidence is building, my view is that every incident of instability should be reported as a warranty fault and the dealer encouraged to raise the concern with JLR through their quality process . (Sorry, I can't remember the acronym). JLR only listen to the dealers with these reports.

Cheers

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Right my car went in for a piece of trim to be replaced and also asked them to look at the parking sensors which do not cut out when I attach the caravan.
    Picked car up tonight and was told the program for tow pack had not fully loaded and as such the park sensors were not switching off. They also told me that there was trailer detect screen and program that should have displayed on the screen that wasn't activated. All are now sorted and activated and this should make a difference to the sensors and the towing. Will hook it up to caravan tomorrow to see what is different.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Russell

Is the trailer detect screen they referred too like on the D4 where is asks dimensions and axles? Also do you have to stick the sticker on the trailer like the D4 so the car can pick it up?

The chaps D5 I tested didn't do any of that and it was a fresh trailer to the car.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

RDR yes it is the same or looks very similar to the D4 where you put measurements and a sticker on the trailer. Am currently waiting for a sticker to turn up then will set it up. Its interesting as I was told this was not fitted to my car, however after making comments about stability issues and also about the number of people on here who were unhappy with the stability whilst towing my car now has the system fitted.
    The way it was explained to me all should have it when the tow bat electrics are activated so if it is not fitted to your car might be worth asking the question.
    The give away for me was that the reversing sensors were not automatically turned off when the trailer was attached, theyt are now though Very Happy

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

I'm confused! (not the first time)

I thought the sticker was only needed if you had advanced tow assist fitted. I didn't specify advanced tow assist so I wasn't expecting any trailer setup screen. Are you saying I should have this even though I don't have advanced tow assist?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum