Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I did not specify advance tow assist, I wanted tow assist two with the reversing action via the terrain response knob but couldn't get it as I have a First Addition.
    When my car turned up it did not have the screen for advance tow assist and the rear parking sensors did not deactivate so it went back for them to look at the parking sensors issue and I also complained that the towing was a little unsettled in some situations which concerned me for my annual leave where I will be towing down through France.
    The garage took this on board and had the car for a few days (couple of other minor jobs to sort as well).
    When I collected it I was told they had liaised with LR and there was an issue with the software on my car. It had not taken (loaded properly) and as a result the sensors continued to operate and the tow assist had not be loaded to the car. They have sorted all of this and today I connected up the caravan and sure enough the sensors now de-activate and there is another screen which now activates when the trailer is plugged in. Am just waiting for the target to arrive and I will set it up and have a drive/tow.
    I am not sure if my car should have had the advance tow assist or not and am not sure if it should be loaded to any car that has tow bar electrics enabled but thanks to my dealer Bow down Bow down Bow down my car now does and the reverse sensors de-activate Thumbs Up

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

Hi Stuart, just catching up. I have the same also. I was told it's a standard feature. I didn't spec advanced tow assist as you needed the rear locking differential also, so the price was starting to rocket.
    When i picked up the car, my dealer gave me the triangles sticker and told me to input the dimensions of what i tow etc, and that when i put it in reverse, the screen would indicate which way the caravan would go as i turned the wheel( whereas advanced tow assist uses the dial)....Have yet to try it out, but have seen the screen where i input the dimensions...
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Whats the cost of the triangles sticker??
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Russell wrote:
    I did not specify advance tow assist, I wanted tow assist two with the reversing action via the terrain response knob but couldn't get it as I have a First Addition.
    When my car turned up it did not have the screen for advance tow assist and the rear parking sensors did not deactivate so it went back for them to look at the parking sensors issue and I also complained that the towing was a little unsettled in some situations which concerned me for my annual leave where I will be towing down through France.
    The garage took this on board and had the car for a few days (couple of other minor jobs to sort as well).
    When I collected it I was told they had liaised with LR and there was an issue with the software on my car. It had not taken (loaded properly) and as a result the sensors continued to operate and the tow assist had not be loaded to the car. They have sorted all of this and today I connected up the caravan and sure enough the sensors now de-activate and there is another screen which now activates when the trailer is plugged in. Am just waiting for the target to arrive and I will set it up and have a drive/tow.
    I am not sure if my car should have had the advance tow assist or not and am not sure if it should be loaded to any car that has tow bar electrics enabled but thanks to my dealer Bow down Bow down Bow down my car now does and the reverse sensors de-activate Thumbs Up

Hi Russell were you charged for the advanced tow assist or was it done FOC by the dealer Thumbs Up ???
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I have neither the stickers nor any screen to input details of the trailer/caravan.

I didn't spec advanced tow assist as, like Craig, the extra cost of the rear dif was making the whole thing seem very expensive and, when all is said and done, I'm not that bad at reversing a van anyway.

I find it quite incredible that we can't even work out what our cars are supposed to have fitted to them. Even looking back through the brochures now it's not immediately obvious what option adds what capability!

Do you perhaps have the 360 degree cameras?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Russell wrote:

Hi Russell were you charged for the advanced tow assist or was it done FOC by the dealer Thumbs Up ???

I have not paid anything extra, not sure if it was on the car but not activated when the electrics were fitted or if it was an extra which I got for nothing when they corrected the parking sensors not cutting out.

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:

Free dealer is sending me a new one out and then will look at getting a better more substantial one made up at work

• Russell
    United Kingdom 

stuart_f wrote:
    I have neither the stickers nor any screen to input details of the trailer/caravan.

I didn't spec advanced tow assist as, like Craig, the extra cost of the rear dif was making the whole thing seem very expensive and, when all is said and done, I'm not that bad at reversing a van anyway.

I find it quite incredible that we can't even work out what our cars are supposed to have fitted to them. Even looking back through the brochures now it's not immediately obvious what option adds what capability!

Do you perhaps have the 360 degree cameras?

Yes 360 cameras fitted but this is not the advance tow assist 2 it is just the advance tow assist

• Russell
    United Kingdom 

stuart_f wrote:
    I'm confused! (not the first time)

I thought the sticker was only needed if you had advanced tow assist fitted. I didn't specify advanced tow assist so I wasn't expecting any trailer setup screen. Are you saying I should have this even though I don't have advanced tow assist?

I cannot answer that. I was told 1st editions had advance tow assist but mine didn't. When the car went back to the dealer to sort out why the parking sensors didn't stop when trailer was attached they said the software for the tow bar had not installed properly so they re-installed the whole software package and now the parking sensors work as they should when the trailer is attached and the advance tow assist now displays on the screen when I plug a trailer in, not sure if this was an extra or supposed to be there from the start.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Russell wrote:
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:

Free dealer is sending me a new one out and then will look at getting a better more substantial one made up at work

Thanks Russell Thumbs Up
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

Craig_d1 wrote:
    Ah, gotcha,
    No I didn't increase the tyre pressures....Then again, the nose weight of the caravan was 100kg, or a heavy man, and we had an air awning and empty cool box in the boot....Apart from that it was me and my 8 yes old in the car, so combined I'd hardly call us a heavy load(7adults and luggage would weight a huge amount more), so i wouldn't of though I'd need to increase tyre pressure....

My D4 can be a bit wayward with my 2500kg caravan if the rear tyres are at the low setting. Once the tyres are filled on the D4 to the max both front and rear the van behaves impeccably. I would almost bet that your tyre pressures will make a huge difference to stability. Low tyre pressures allow the tyre to move the contact patch with the road in a sideways motion in relation to the rim. This is amplified 20+ feet behind by the bum wiggling. pump up your tyres and you'll feel a huge difference in the sideways rigidity of the tyre and the swaying should be eliminated.
    Let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up
  • swanny16
    England 

I see reference to the target tracker sticker for the tow assist but does it need to be in place for the trailer stability assist (TSA) to be active?
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I'm going to say you don't need the sticker for TSA because TSA is a standard feature of the car and you don't get a sticker unless you order the optional advance tow assist.

If you needed a sticker for TSA then all D5 would come with them.
  • swanny16
    England 

Cheers Stuart that makes sense and now I know I don't need to stick a pawn shop sign to the front of the caravan unless I need it to help me reverse. Very Happy
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

stuart_f wrote:
    I'm going to say you don't need the sticker for TSA because TSA is a standard feature of the car and you don't get a sticker unless you order the optional advance tow assist.

If you needed a sticker for TSA then all D5 would come with them.

No they don't you have to ask for one the same as you did with the D4. Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum