Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• swanny16
    England 

mine was in the car at hand over I didn't need to ask. I was surprised as I wasn't expecting the tow assist to be fitted.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Russell wrote:
    stuart_f wrote:
    I'm going to say you don't need the sticker for TSA because TSA is a standard feature of the car and you don't get a sticker unless you order the optional advance tow assist.

If you needed a sticker for TSA then all D5 would come with them.

No they don't you have to ask for one the same as you did with the D4. Thumbs Up

So are you saying that I need a sticker to get TSA to work?

I don't have surround cameras so what is supposed to be looking at the sticker?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

No what I am saying is that the stickers are not always in the cars even with advance tow assist. As for the standard trailer program without surround cameras, you shouldn't need a sticker

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

I had that triangular sticker in my 2010 FFRR and both the 2011 and 2014 Evoques fitted with factory fitted towbar, no Tow Assist in those days, so it isn't needed by any electronic aids for them to work. I never used it on any of the cars but was told that it aids clarity of the "target" in the low resolution reversing cam that used to be fitted. I always found the old system with the fixed yellow line in the centre reversing cam screen was more user friendly.
  • Dave97v5
    England 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

I have just returned from a trip away with my Swift Conqueror 630 and Disco HSE 3.0 and like many others on here I am very concerned by the Towing stability at higher speeds.
    I collected new car in April and hitched up the van next morning to head up into Scotland, after joining the M74 I noticed severe swaying at any speed above 55mph which I put down to tyre pressures which I had forgot to adjust in my rush to get away. After stopping and inflating all tyres to the recommended 44 front and 50 rear, checking caravan pressures and adjusting the nose weight I was surprised to find it was no better.
    After returning home at a very careful 55mph I started to research this on here and was quite alarmed to find many others experiencing the same problems.
    Like most of you I also towed with a Discovery3 and Discovery 4 without a slightest problem over the last 12 year and was expecting the New Discovery to be even better.
    I am going to contact Dealer tomorrow to see if anything can be done to improve stability & will report any feedback.
  • Craigp
    England 

Not experienced any snaking with mine. But it certainly feels shall we say more flighty. I do notice trucks overtaking me on motorways drawing me in. Where I didn't with the D4. I also recently changed vans from a swift 630 in October so only did a 100 miles or so towing it with the D4 and I thought the new van didn't seem as steady as the swift. So it's difficult for me to compare. Having done a 1000 miles with the D5 and new van I would say it's not quite as stable. Hope this makes sense.
    As an aside did you remove all the paint off the tow hitch?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Today I took my Swift Elegance 645 back to dealers for warranty work. This included a 40 mile each way journey across twisty bumpy A and B roads and along a couple of decent straights both down hill and up.
    I was shall I say challenged for time so did not conserve fuel Whistle and I must say that the car and van both felt planted and comfortable.
    The tyres on car and van were set to the correct settings and the nose weight was up at maximum and I did have half a tank of water in the on board tank Whistle forgot about that when I left. This normally makes the van more fidgety but was happy with it.
    I still have not done any motorway distance so cannot confirm what that is like so far

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Hi all,

Having been a D3/4 owner and tow a twin axle caravan I did have concerns from what I had read on here for my first D5 outing with the caravan.
    I have a D5 HSE 3l with detachable tow bar, with twin axle Elddis Crusader Tempest. I had my first tow last weekend, all loaded as I always did with the D4, including two bikes on the rear carrier (one adult/one child's bike). Inflated tyres for heavy load, and checked pressures of caravan tyres as always before setting off.
    We drove about 50-60 miles each way on a mix of roads including dual carriageway.
    I am pleased to report the outfit performed very well, and I would suggest, all be it a relatively short distance and no long motoway distances, that it was equally as good as my D4 was. My partner followed behind for the return trip and she said all looked solid.
    So I must say, no towing complaints or issues from me. Thumbs Up

• Peterl
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Towing

Towing Bailey Valencia series 3 with d5 hse lux.

Had d4 and was concerned after reading various comments. Tyres on high loading, boot loaded plus rear foot well full with pimms and other items and dog on rear seat.Nose weight also correct.

Now down in dordorgne and towing been fine on small roads and autoroute with speeds going up to 60-65. Eased back speed a little on steep down hill parts.Used adaptive cruise control and really good on long runs.Also find lane keep assist does not help towing on small roads so will switch off in future.

Not quite as good towing as D4 but then a lighter car and drives significantly better solo so much easier drive out visiting sites and attractions.

So far very happy and get as much in boot as I did on the D4. My boot buddy came out of the D4 and fitted straight in to the D5
  • Dave97v5
    England 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

It Makes interesting reading that some of you find that towing is acceptable with the D5 and your vans but not as good as D4, it has become apparent from reading all the threads that the main problems seem to be with the Swift group twin wheelers.
    I have noticed that they all run on smaller wheels than the single wheel vans and that they sit lower to the ground and when hitched to the non adjustable electrically deployable tow bar they sit slightly nose high.
    I wonder if this could be the main cause of the instability and if there is any way of lowering the ride height of the D5 ?
    Thoughts please.

O and thanks craigp for asking about paint on tow ball but I had removed it before towing. Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Sorry would have to disagree with that
    We have a Swift TA and so far I am happy with the D5 for towing
    One comment is it is very easy to find yourself going too quick even more so than the D4
    Every Discovery I have had has towed differently to the last and needs to be got to see too but if you don't tow regular I don't think you ever get used to how the outfit feels.

• alowson
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

One question I do have for the group is. The D5 is based on the RRS (cannot remember the exact term, sorry). So would not the D5 tow in the same manner as a RRS?

So any serious flaws in towing also be present in the RRS, especially as they same the same tech. But in the RRS forum I could not find anything about towing issues.

As back ground I am still awaiting for my D5 (TD6 HSE Lux) downunder but do tow a Ifor Williams HB511 large horse box. As everyone says the D4 and D3 did it in style. Will be interested in the D5 experience.
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

The brand-new Discovery 5 scoops the top prize at our 11th Tow Car Awards, as we lift the lid on the year’s best tow cars, for caravans of all sizes.

The Disco was pushed extremely hard by a host of multi-talented rivals
    We’re delighted to announce that the brand-new Land Rover Discovery is our best tow car of the year, as revealed at tonight’s 2017 Tow Car Awards.

The annual ceremony, held at The Sculpture Gallery at Woburn Abbey, celebrates the top performers from this year’s test week, during which 44 models were put through their paces to see what tow car ability they have.
    You might think that with its predecessor having scooped our Tow Car of the Decade award in 2016, that the all-new Discovery 5 would be a dead cert for this year’s title.

But it didn’t have it all its own way, pushed extremely hard by a host of multi-talented rivals – including some strong in-house competition coming from the Jaguar F-Pace.

Every car was put to the test by an expert team from Practical Caravan, What Car? and The Camping and Caravanning Club.

We are hugely grateful to the Club’s volunteers, without whose hard work, passion and enthusiasm our gruelling test week could not happen.

We also must say a huge thank you to Swift Group for supplying a fleet of test caravans, and to Al-Ko for its assistance in preparing the tourers for the tests – stability data from Al-Ko’s ATC sensors forms an important part of our judging.

We are grateful, too, to Witter for help in assessing the towing gear and electrics, and to Milenco for the supply of towing mirrors and adaptors.

What’s more, What Car? predicts the best resale values of any car in this year’s tests, so if you have almost £60,000 to spend on a tow car you know you’re spending the money wisely.

(Nice to know) Very Happy

Click on link below for report

http://www.thetowcarawards.com/winners/2017-1900kg/

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I was just wondering whether there is any correlation between the size of wheels and the comments on stability. My HSE has 21" ers so one step up from the standard and I am in the "not too happy" camp although there has been some improvement since I front loaded the van to the max.

Interesting comment from Dave97V5 regarding the size of Swift wheels.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Mine has 22" and I tow a twin axle Swift

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum