Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• fisherman
    United Kingdom 

I'm not sure that the people having trouble with towing may be inexperienced caravanners or trying it with a new to them van and made assumptions you just hook up and go. I've learned that every van has it's precious side and has to be treated like a girlie until you get the hang of what works or not. It can take a while to get it just so. It's difficult to judge with so many variables which have a detrimental effect on towing. I would be happy to give my van a go with a D5 with tyres inflated for heavy loads. The van is loaded to it's best with a noseweight of about 135-140kg (Max is 150). I carry a small compressor with me for this purpose of reinflating the tyres when about to tow. My van weighs in at a not too inconsiderable 2500kg so needs a bit of a heavyweight tow car to pull it, the D5 is a little on the skinny side for it compared to the D4 but is meant to be up to the task and then some. So until I have a go with my own van I won't really be that confident. When it comes to doing the deed, I'll make sure I get a loaner for a long weekend to try it out first.
    The Subaru is just way to small to deal with the van. My wife realised after the van was built that I'll always have to have a huge SUV to tow it with. Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Well am afraid I have never had the pleasure of owing a caravan, but like you say each van has different characteristics which makes sense. Typically trailers are all different as well but not as much a difference as caravans are. I do know that the smaller trailers tend too be harder too reverse than bigger ones, as they seem too jack knife quicker when reversing compared too the larger trailers. Not too mention single, twin and triple axle ones. Plus am pretty sure the majority of caravan owners on here are seasoned professionals not amatuers. Most probably it will be the new car that handles differently not their caravans. Possibly also jumping from a D4 too a D5 people assuming it will handle the same, but going by the feedback on here it's like chalk and cheese from some of the comments.

Well that's some van at 2500 kg. I take it is a 6 berth. I never realised that they came in that heavy. Nearly as heavy as the D4.

Well only vehicle I would be happy too safely pull anything that large would be the FFRR or the D4 /D5. Yes your right the Forester would struggle with that weight behind it. I just used the Forester for the smaller trailer towing 1 tonne max. If I needed too tow with the car transporter or for loads greater than 1.5 tonnes I only used the D4.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 3rd May 2017 8:12 am. Edited 2 times in total
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Quote:
    I'm not sure that the people having trouble with towing may be inexperienced caravanners or trying it with a new to them van and made assumptions you just hook up and go.

I've had 3 previous Discos D3, D4, D4 and now the D5. The van is a 2009 Coachman. I wouldn't consider that inexperienced.

I have no doubt that the D5 is far less forgiving/capable/docile* tow car than the D4.

*delete as appropriate.
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

You'll note the use of I'm not sure and may be and new van etc. I was trying to say the towing experiences may be that the rig isn't tested and set up correctly and that I would want to try it with my own van before committing myself to a huge spend. If you are all very experienced caravanners and there's still a problem, I won't be buying one. Simples! Sad
    I have been caravanning for 27 years and I'm still learning new stuff. I travel for about 11 weeks a year with the van covering most of Europe. The possible inexperience relates only to towing and not car ownership etc etc.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Better sticking too the Classic VW camper van or a Caravanette then and save £75k Rolling with laughter

On a more serious note I did see an episode on top gear a few years back and some of the camper vans were the price of a house. I loved the one where the sports car slid out underneath it James Bond style. Roll on the lotto win Laughing
  • jpi3418
    Australia 

Car Magazine Comparison Review May edition

It was great to see a comparison review at last in this months Car Magazine, but are the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 and BMW X5 really true competitors? None of these vehicles have any off-road capability at all, so any comparison with them is really limited to on-road behaviour, and as that is all these cars have been designed for, they do it pretty well. Hence the Disco will always struggle when compared against more narrowly focussed rivals, so it was heartening to see Car place it equal with the Audi. In my own comparison, I found the Q7 to be like a reverse Tardis, massive on the outside (its well over 5m long), and cramped inside. As a 6' adult I couldn't sit in the 3rd row at all. The much hyped interior quality wasn't so evident to me, sure its nice, but after reading the press bang on about it I couldn't see what the fuss was about and for me it didn't outweigh the obvious packaging limitations. The Audi's engine is superior, but that will be addressed when the Ingenium 6 arrives next year which is when I'm looking to get my new Disco. At that point I think the Disco will stand head and shoulders above anything else on the market.
    I think a converted campaign is needed by Disco drivers writing to the car magazines to force them to test the Disco5's true breadth of capability, i.e. take the Q7/X5/XC90 and their pretender ilk on a proper off-road course and highlight how pathetic they are, so their readers fully understand their limitations (and the superiority of the Disco). In Australia you'll see Discos in the most remote places, along with Land Cruisers, Patrols, Jeeps and 4WD utes, but you'll never see anything European off the blacktop, says it all really.
  • sportcoupe
    United States 

jpi3418 wrote:
    I think a converted campaign is needed by Disco drivers writing to the car magazines to force them to test the Disco5's true breadth of capability, i.e. take the Q7/X5/XC90 and their pretender ilk on a proper off-road course and highlight how pathetic they are, so their readers fully understand their limitations (and the superiority of the Disco). In Australia you'll see Discos in the most remote places, along with Land Cruisers, Patrols, Jeeps and 4WD utes, but you'll never see anything European off the blacktop, says it all really.:

I agree with the Q7/X5/XC90 being much less off road capable then the D5.

Maybe then should be comparing the D5 to the Porsche Cayenne? I'm not sure as I haven't drove a Cayenne yet.

Ordered - HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Kaikoura Stone 20" Black pack + more.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

The latest issue of Practical Caravan dropped onto the doormat over the weekend (that's the kind of rock and roll lifestyle I lead) where they did a brief review of the D5 and finished it by saying next month's edition is the annual tow car awards and expect a much fuller run-down of the D5 towing ability then.
  • roverdawgpac
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 First Edition Farallon Black

Quote:
    Here are the winners of Mudfest 2017:

Compact Utility Vehicle: 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Premium Compact Utility Vehicle: 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack S 4Motion

Family Utility Vehicle: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring

Premium Mid- or Full-size Utility Vehicle: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Extreme Capability Utility Vehicle: 2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE Luxury

Pickups: 2017 Ford Raptor Super Cab

Best Overall, NWAPA’s Outdoor Activity Vehicle of the Year: 2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE Luxury

http://www.heraldnet.com/life/rain-shine-a...fest-2017/

2017 Discovery 5 Farallon Black, First Edition
    2005 LR3 HSE, 2005-2017. Sold.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

stuart_f wrote:
    The latest issue of Practical Caravan dropped onto the doormat over the weekend (that's the kind of rock and roll lifestyle I lead) where they did a brief review of the D5 and finished it by saying next month's edition is the annual tow car awards and expect a much fuller run-down of the D5 towing ability then.

Considering the activity in the "Towing disappointment" thread, I sent a mail to Practical Caravan. The mails are below for info:

Me:

Hi,

I understand that the new Discovery 5 will feature in your tow tests next month. As much as I am a Discovery stalwart having had at least a dozen new ones in the past 25 years, I have been disappointed in the towing stability of the D5. I tow a new Conqueror 650 and migrated from a D4 to a D5 in March. On our first outing we suffered some worrying swaying to the point at which the Alko ATC kicked in and applied the brakes. The swaying increased as speed increased.Tyre pressures and balancing were all ok. With the D4, the caravan was rock solid at all speeds.

There is a groundswell of opinion suggesting I am not alone in these concerns, take a look here: https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread300.html.

If it's not too late, it would be good to get independent test results, especially when towing a long caravan.

I hope this is useful.

PC:

Many thanks for sending a link to this forum thread and for sharing your own experience with the new Discovery. Both make very interesting reading.

I'm relieved by your post on March 28th describing a much improved towing experience, as we were happy with the Discovery's performance at the Tow Car Awards in April (the results don't come out until June so I can't go into too much detail). All of our testing takes place on a private proving ground, and I towed the car at up to 80mph pulling a twin-axle caravan without a stabiliser hitch and I experienced no problems.

One of our testers is a Discovery 4 owner, and he was also very impressed with the new model, although he is planning to keep his current car for the time being.

I think the most obvious improvements with the Disco 5 are in other areas rather than stability at speed. The old car really was exceptional as a tow car, but the new model is a better all-rounder

Me:

Many thanks for your response. I look forward to the article.

In my post of the 28th March, I said that there had been improvements but like others, I still found the towing experience “jittery” from 55mph upwards. Maybe your van was not as long or heavy as some.

Maybe you will get some more feedback as this vehicle becomes a more common tow car

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

In one of the various threads I also posted my experience of using a proving ground (a runway in my case) as a towing test venue. My experience was that the D5 was ok to about 80mph and I thought people's negative opinions were unjustified.

However... having now towed several hundred miles in the real world, the towing performance is nowhere near as placid as it is on the runway. I don't know if it's the camber on the road or the traffic but towing at 55 mph is unnerving and towing past 60 mph is downright frightening. This really must cast doubt on PC's conclusions.

If you want to tow using a D5, try it for yourself in real-world conditions. Reviews that use 'ideal conditions' on proving grounds or runways do not, in any way, represent the behaviour of the car you will experience when you try it for yourself.

Buyer beware.
  • Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

&feature=youtu.be

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

[quote="sportcoupe"]
    jpi3418 wrote:
    ..........Maybe then should be comparing the D5 to the Porsche Cayenne? I'm not sure as I haven't drove a Cayenne yet.

Cayenne is probably as good offroad but being so much more expensive you just don't see them being used to their full capability. My house is on a farm lane and the farmer who lives at the end of the lane uses his elderly Cayenne offroad all the time, rain or shine BUT is also has proper wheels and tyres for the job. It does look odd seeing a Cayenne covered in muck driving across fields when he goes to look at his prize beef stock and at lambing time. All the mud in the world though still doesn't disguise how ugly it is........

He has a 5.0lt FFRR Autobiography for Sunday runs to church and doing the shopping - that car NEVER goes offroad...... Rolling with laughter He cannot understand why I take my RRS greenlaning when I also have a Defender for the same job. In the current weather the RRS is climate controlled and no dust gets inside, unlike the Def with two flaps under the front screen and if you want colder air you have to drive faster..........
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum