Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I have another question concerning the allowed weight on the bars. Normally it is 100 kg on the bars, but it looks like Disco5 has only 80 kg allowance on the bars. Is it so?
    MAX 80 kg on the bars
    MAX 74 kg on the original LR crossbars
    MAX 50 kg with my Thule roof box (24 kg), but the roof box itself capable of 75 kg as it is designed for the car with 100 kg weight allowance on the crossbars.
    So the question is why LR restricted the weight on the roof to 80 kg on the bars?

And another question,
    I wanted to rent a plastic roof top tent for two + child, which goes on the crossbars, it is about 65 kg, so fine, but can any potential damage appear if we add another 150-200 kg on the roof and on the crossbars when stationary?
    Thanks.
  • eelpout
    United States 

Bradders wrote:
    Here are some pics

Its that the one piece, Thule WingBar Edge 9596B?

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-rack/c...b-_-959620
  • eelpout
    United States 

FYI. Received this from Thule North America today, RE: Thule WingBar Edge 9596B and other parts for the 2017 D5:

(08/09/2017 03:58 PM)
    Thank you for contacting Thule Customer Service.

We should have something soon, we are still testing the fit here in North America. Please check back in 30 days.

Best Wishes,

John
    Thule Customer Service Team

• Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Last edited by Flat Earther on 16th Aug 2017 2:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

eelpout wrote:
    pdes wrote:
    Here you go. Thule rack with bikes. Total height 3 metres.

what Thule rack parts are those if I may ask?

Sorry, just saw this. They are Thule TU532 - Roof mounting bike carrier.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Bufger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I've got the factory fit black height rails and i'm looking at crossbars. After finding this thread i'm dubious about the LR crossbars on option so i'm looking for a better alternative. This will mainly be for a Sea Kayak but would like the option of bikes and roofbox. The pitch between both crossbars is important for the kayak, I need them to have a couple of adjustment options. On the LR website it does specifically show their product with a Kayak - or at least a photoshopped version of what it will look like static. From how secure it looks i'm assuming the after photo is the M5 backed up a few miles behind shards of plastic.

Is the Thule WingBar Edge 9596B suitable for this application? or does anyone have experience of securing a sea kayak to the LR offered option? My requirements are function/secure load first and aesthetics second - but still important Wink
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

these are pretty much my requirements, I am waiting for Thule to come up with cross bars so I can fit a Hulavator. I have no friends so have to load the boat on my own Big Cry

As yet Thule NA has not released the product. I will probably end up waiting until next year, by December all of the water will be ice up here.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • eelpout
    United States 

Bufger wrote:
    Is the Thule WingBar Edge 9596B suitable for this application? or does anyone have experience of securing a sea kayak to the LR offered option? My requirements are function/secure load first and aesthetics second - but still important Wink

as long as you stay within the weight limits of 75 kg I wouldn't see why not. If you need more load capacity I believe their AeroBlades go up to 100 kg.
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    I have the original Land Rover cross bars on my D5. They do sit quite close together, however we have successfully carried bikes on them, and more recently on our 3 week trip to France with the caravan I carried windsurfing equipment which was absolutely fine. The extra height of them is an advantage when opening the boot with a long load. But you still need to set the boot height to avoid spoiler contact.

Hope this helps
    Dpetchey
  • Matt
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Just had confirmation that Whispbar have finalised roof bar design for the D5 and that they'll be available in the UK around the end of September for vehicles fitted with full length rails...

http://www.whispbar.co.uk/uk/select-vehicl...lush-rails
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Has any one looked at Rhinorack roof bars?

http://www.rhinorack.ca/en-ca/products/roo...ack_ja6418

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I looked at them, but the factory LR ones were cheaper. I bought the factory ones and I'm actually quite happy.

These might be more adjustable though, if you're willing to drill more mounting points in your rails.

They also come in silver:
    http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/ro...ack_ja6417
  • eelpout
    United States 

Quote:
    I looked at them, but the factory LR ones were cheaper. I bought the factory ones and I'm actually quite happy.

part #VPLRR0154? here in the states that lists for $390 US. Which is comparable to Rhino's pricing. Though I notice at the moment the Rhino stuff is 20%, which is tempting. But my track record for buying aftermarket parts hasn't been great of late (i.e. ill fitting cargo mats Wink).
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

I have a set of LR accessory roof bars which I collected with my D5 a few weeks ago. When I was first shown the vehicle during collection, they were attached to the roof rails, so whilst I finished the paperwork off, I asked for them to be removed and stored in the boot for travelling home. I have black roof rails, so once I’d finished the paperwork and went back to the car, I asked how they were fitted and climbed up to take a look at the fitmentl position as the roof bars had been removed. It was then that I noticed that the paint on the roof rails had been chipped through to the white baselayer and metal where the roof bars met the roof rails..

My car goes back in this coming week for 5 days for it to be re-painted and for the glovebox to be realigned as it won’t shut. I only use the roof bars occasionally for carrying bikes and not had to use them in earnest yet with the D5 - for those that do on a D5, are the black roofrails susceptible to chipping or was it just an errant LR technician.

Apart from that, the car has been great and it is certainly a step up on the D4,
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

eelpout wrote:
    Quote:

part #VPLRR0154? here in the states that lists for $390 US. Which is comparable to Rhino's pricing. Though I notice at the moment the Rhino stuff is 20%, which is tempting. But my track record for buying aftermarket parts hasn't been great of late (i.e. ill fitting cargo mats Wink).

Rhino Racks are $440 MSRP, but yeah they seem to bounce between $350-390. $351 on Amazon right now with free shipping, but not direct from Rhino Racks and not Prime eligible, so there's a risk you could get the wrong part number and then have to deal with a return.

Instant gratification, guaranteed fitment, plus $10 difference at the time I bought them was worth it for me. I think I paid $380 out the door for the LR accessory rails with a bit of a discount.

I have a hitch rack for my bikes - so much easier than a roof rack to deal with on something this tall.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum