Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dave97v5
    England 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Engine noise and roughness from cold

Has anyone out there got a droning noise and roughness when starting from cold on the 3.0 tdv6 and lasts until engine begins to warm. Dealer has changed crank front pulley due to vibrating but to no avail, noise and roughness still there. Big Cry
  • J77
    Scotland 

No, my one has the usual diesel sound but it's pretty smooth really.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

nothing here, just the usual clatter; how many miles has yours done?

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Jacko
    Australia 

The only noise i have from cold is like a piece of paper stuck in a fan. only lasts 5min while car is warming up. I have chased it to a fan that cools the HUD. But its not annoying enough to fix it. If that makes sense.
  • dlks151
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Re: Engine noise and roughness from cold

Dave97v5 wrote:
    Has anyone out there got a droning noise and roughness when starting from cold on the 3.0 tdv6 and lasts until engine begins to warm. Dealer has changed crank front pulley due to vibrating but to no avail, noise and roughness still there. Big Cry

I'm also getting a droning noise which is evident when the car slows or comes to a stop, but thought it may be to do with the heating / climate system. Haven't had it investigated yet?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I also had the droning /whining noise which i reported, along with power loss. It was making the noise when the engine was warmed up though Shocked
  • Dave97v5
    England 

Thanks for the replies, the droning noise & whine appears to get quieter when warm but is still there in the background and is getting really annoying. You don't expect this on a new vehicle but sounds like it is happening on quite a lot of Discos so maybe Landrover will find a solution soon as long as it is reported to the dealers.
    Will let you know if they manage to fix it.
  • arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Have you had any resolution to the droning engine noise?

I m now, after 2000km, getting aware of noise that is not speed or engine rev dependent but goes away when stopped. It sounds like someone is drumming a plastic can but it is muffled.

Noise starts after engine has warmed.

I have tried to cancel out some obvious reasons but so far to no avail. It is not FBH as I took its fuse off, not any of the removable plastic covers in engine bay, nor the climate control as there is no change in noise when I disable the AC.

Tyre noise? Could be but it is different than what I have heard in other vehicles.
  • Dave97v5
    England 

Hi Arsi
    I have not managed to locate the source of the droning noise which you have described perfectly, I have also tried removing and disconnecting items but it is still there. It is definitely not transmission related and I feel it is from some engine driven part such as alternator or air con compressor.
    Dealer has had it for over a week with no luck so will be going back in soon as it is really getting annoying now. have covered over 8000 miles now and noise remains the same as when new.
    This noise never really seems to go away but does get quieter when warm but I don't know why ?
  • eelpout
    United States 

no noise with mine, but "rolling" to a stop for the first 5 minutes or so there sure is drag or pull-like feeling. Never had a diesel before so maybe that's normal?
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Diesels usually have more torque than petrol engines and therefore the engine breaking can feel more powerful, perhaps that's what you're feeling. Mind you, this doesn't explain why it's for the first 5 mins only though.
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

eelpout wrote:
    no noise with mine, but "rolling" to a stop for the first 5 minutes or so there sure is drag or pull-like feeling. Never had a diesel before so maybe that's normal?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but did you get this sorted please?

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

My first D5 had the drone/whine issue, it started when it was about 5mths old and lasted at least 6mths but then one day it just didn’t do it anymore.
    However my 2nd and current D5 has an annoying roughness to the 3.0 engine, like something just slightly out of balance. It also intermittently produces strong burning grass or burning rubber smells but I can never find any source. Otherwise it powers along fine. I just live with these niggles because life is too short to waste time back and fore to dealers who can’t seem to fix anything anymore.
  • Formula_forde
    United Kingdom 

Hi All,

I can see this is an old post but looks easy to answer. most of these symptoms you are describing, sound like DPF regeneration (drone, loss of power, rough sengine sound, burning/heat smells). On my JLR management cars they were really awful..... You have just reminded me . I had many RRS and LR4 cars but none with add blue. I currently have my own SD4 out of loyalty to the brand and I like it. For reference I have had 5 Mercedes GLE 350 cars with add blue (v6) cars. They were really the same ( drone, loss of power, heat, idle roughness) during regen. So not really any different! I have not noticed as much on my SD4 but it does do it of course. But I have only done approx 4000 miles.

Gone Oct 21- 2018 Byron blue, HSE Lux with black pack.
  • GonzagueGB
    Japan 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Formula_forde wrote:
    Hi All,

I can see this is an old post but looks easy to answer. most of these symptoms you are describing, sound like DPF regeneration (drone, loss of power, rough sengine sound, burning/heat smells).

Interesting. This is my first diesel car ever (I know right) and if I follow you correctly

Both burning smells (that happen "sometimes") after a long run (300km) and the noise here https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread2481.html could be related to DPF regeneration?

FIY. The burning smell I had it twice in one year and for a total of 9500km.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum