Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• choob
    United Kingdom 

Why are diesels still popular?

15 years ago when the first diesels with decent refinement and power came out they made perfect sense. Much better fuel consumption, similar performance, no tractor sound.

Now the fuel consumption gap has significantly narrowed, while the pain of running a diesel has gone up with adblue, dpf nonsense and egr nonsense.

Someone enlighten me?
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It is not really narrowed. If you compare diesel and gas consumption at speeds more then 130 km/h and city consumption, it is around the double (with LRD 5 TD6 8-9 litres per 100 km and 14-16 with petrol). + you have more torque, much more power at low rpm, smooth acceleration, more distance with one tank, fewer visits to gas stations. I like diesel.
  • J77
    Scotland 

3.0 petrol D5 v 3.0 diesel D5, there is still a bit of a difference in fuel economy. On a long run I got 620 miles out a tank, I doubt I would get that wil a petrol.

I’m a low mileage user and I’ve never had an issue with DPFs. Have yet to top up the AdBlue on the D5 and never touched it between service intervals on the D4.

No hassle in running a diesel in my eyes, more hassle with a petrol, with more frequent fuel ups or plugging and unplugging an EV or PHEV.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Rodisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

diesel petrol difference

when you study the co2 from both by far the cleaner is a diesel £L 189gm per KM the petrol is far more 256 gm perKM a far lower mpg from the petrol

if you look at No2 gasses then the petrol is slightly cleaner.

Co2 is about global warming
    No2 is about health

You just have to make a choice, my view small cars with petrol engines, large cars diesel.

we all have an opinion.

Rodney
  • RyanRC
    United States 

For some reason and perhaps this is just because I am from before a time when diesel was not all that much used in passenger vehicles, but I just always have this fear that I am going to be way out back somewhere and low on fuel and the one and only place for how much I have left to get to is not going to have diesel.

Perhaps in the UK diesel is everywhere, but even for my area there are some places that just don't sell it, which also means the prices can vary too as if you need it, you are going to have to pay what ever it is.

But can also tell of this story from back in my youth when it was a severally cold winter night and me and my friends hooked up with these girls who wanted to go from a club in CT to one in NY State as those stayed open till 5am I think it was.

So for some reason us guys all piled into the one guys truck that was a diesel and followed them down there and hung out till 5, an then when that place closed was asked by the girls to follow them back to their place for um you know...breakfast.

So we all pilled back into his truck an went to start it but by that time it had sat in the zero cold for a good 3hrs, and it just would not start for nothing even with all the glow systems working just fine.

So there the three of us were all standing out in this parking lot freezing to death as we were just in our club cloths doing all we could to get it going and getting dirty and covered in diesel fuel trying to get the thing to start for like an hour till finally the battery just was dead.

At that point the moment was lost for even us and so the girls feeling bad gave us a ride back to the other club in CT where our other cars were and then we all went home.

For the guy who owned the truck he went back later that day with a truck that could jump it and he said in just a little while as the day had warmed everything up, it started right off.

So I guess I could talk about all the technical reasons I think I would prefer a petrol and I know things today are not built the same nor at my age would I ever probably be in that same situation again, but for some reason every time I think about getting a diesel engine in anything I would buy, I think back to the misery of that night and then check the box for a petrol. Smile
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Funny story, thanks for sharing. But if the reason was a dead battery you should hate electric vehicles, not diesel or petrol.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Just to clarify if this was the thought, the battery did not start out dead, but after a hour of trying to start a engine that would not start it went dead.

All in all if I recall I think we tried jumping it, but it really wasn't going to do any good because of the cold plus the crank amps on most petrol cars just wasn't that great for trying to turn over the compression of a large V8 diesel.
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

Also his old diesel might not have been refueled with “winter” diesel. In UK and Europe we don’t even have to think about finding winter diesel ( it has an antiwaxing agent in it) as after mid October through to end of March that is all that is sold on forecourts. And yes, over here we have gone from having to find a truck stop to find diesel to it being on every forecourt in the land and they even supply disposable gloves to protect the hands of those who cannot cope with blow back from the filler. Gone too are the days of it taking ages to fill a tank because of diesel foaming as you filled the tank.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum