Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• VRAMBO
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Phone to HDMI

Hi all just wondering if anyone can help or try something. Ive got a HSE on order didnt get TV or the dual screen but seen a video of someone who had there phone connected via the HDMI port in the console and it would mirror the phone on the car screen and he could stream netflix or movies on his phone and watch them on the head unit.
    Is this possible without the TV and dual screen head unit??
    Hope someone can help.

Regards
    Tim
  • Jacko
    Australia 

yes i have done this. So its possible. I have a samsung phone and I bought a connector via ebay ie samsung to HDMI and it worked first go.

I thought crap one for one lets try the PS4. I powered the PS4 via the mains and ran HDMI cable to the unit in the headrest. and sadly it didnt work. I think it was the refresh rate that was killing it. It recognised that something was their but it kept reverting back.

Next to try is buy one of those old arcade hand held things with a hdmi output. ie a unit that has 50 old games like galaga on it and see if that works.
  • VRAMBO
    Australia 

Thanks mate. Can you confirm you have a standard HSE without any of the extras eg digital TV, dual view screen?
  • Jacko
    Australia 

I have a HSE Lux but that shouldnt make any difference. As your getting the signal from your phone and transferring it (mirroring it) Onto another display.
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Glad I spotted this thread as i was planning on trying to install a PS 3 or 4 into the HDMI.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I have a MY17 (October build) HSE, and can stream films, etc from a USB drive plugged into the USB3 ports. I have also successfully streamed from an iPhone 7, via a lightning to HDMI cable, to the HDMI socket.

One of the only things that worked straight away on my car, without any mucking around with configuration, etc!

Oh, and forgot to say, I didn't specify any optional stuff as far as TV/video is concerned, its all factory fit standard options on this side.
  • Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

Anyone tried an amazon fire stick please?
  • VRAMBO
    Australia 

More for the aussie members. I was looking through redbook and saw that the 2017 MY17 does not have the hdmi port noted in standard accessories but the 2017 MY18 does.
    Question is if im getting my car mid december what are the chances its a 2017 MY18??
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Given the only recent commencement of the 2018MY builds, and the shipping time down under, I'd guess pretty slim
  • VRAMBO
    Australia 

Picked up the car today. SD4 HSE MY17. Dont need to worry about the HDMI port as i found out it has a cd player and it plays dvd and can watch movies through the usb. I havnt got any entertainment pack what so ever. So does everyone else with a standard HSE also play dvds??
    The dealer didnt even know that it had a cd player in the car.
  • Mark^^
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I am in Australia, and I took delivery of a MY 17 HSE Lux just before Christmas. It has a build date 12/10/17 and compliance date 01/12/2017 and it does have a HDMI port. I don't have RSE

I recently brought a iPhone to HDMI connector and while stationary it displays the phone screen on the car screen.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Does anyone know a cheaper alternative than paying almost £50 (UK) for the Apple Lightning to HDMI cable? Just seems such a lot of money for a short, stubby cable!

I guess its all about the Apple Logo on it, puts the price up!
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum