Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Nimbus seats picking up Denim colour

My drivers seat is now starting to pick up the colour from my jeans very easily. Has only just started as if some sort of protective coating has worn off.

It’s the right hand bolster where it gets rubbed sliding into the seat.

Never used to do this so can anyone recommend a treatment that will stop this happening? Having to clean the seat almost daily now. Doesn’t seem to make a difference which jeans I wear - new or old (no should be colour fast by now).

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Mine are black with Nimbus piping, but I had this issue on my previous vehicle which had sand color seats.

Aside from a leather sealant like Cilajet's interior application, you may just have to invest in a good leather cleaner and some elbow grease and use it religiously.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Thanks mate.

I’ll ask my dealer next week (it’s going if for the Phase 3 ICTP Update) and see what they say. Pretty sure LR would have sealed the leather with something to mitigate colour transfer. Maybe not or maybe it’s works away where I slide in? It’s not happening anywhere else.

Happy New Years.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Come to think of it I think they offer a leather care kit with cleaner and a spray-on protector. It shouldn't be staining your leather permanently, but the factory sealant may not be very robust.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Halfords do several products like Autoglym and Meguiars, both are very good. I had a packet of babywipes I kept in the glovebox, which easily erases the denim transfer Thumbs Up
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

I have the leather cleaner that came with the car and this cleans it ok. Just want some way of stoping the colour transfer. And not stopping wearing jeans Wink

Yeah, baby wipes clean almost anything off anything. God knows how a babies bottom copes with this awesome cleaning power 😂

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Jambo
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Has happened on my previous FFRR and the D3 before that. leather cleaner will sort, but once the novelty of it being new wears off, you may not notice / bother so much!

Light blue appearing on my drivers's seat - 2 months old.

I seem to remember reading ages ago not to use baby wipes as they're not great for the leather (don't hold me to this though!).
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Isn't a baby's bum made of leather ? Or a type of leather.
  • Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

Re: Nimbus seats picking up Denim colour

simonh wrote:
    My drivers seat is now starting to pick up the colour from my jeans very easily. Has only just started as if some sort of protective coating has worn off.

It’s the right hand bolster where it gets rubbed sliding into the seat.

Never used to do this so can anyone recommend a treatment that will stop this happening? Having to clean the seat almost daily now. Doesn’t seem to make a difference which jeans I wear - new or old (no should be colour fast by now).

Dr Leather

Or

LTT - they actually do a jeans dye removal kit.

Jeans are the worst thing going for light leather. You cant stop it unless you cover the seat, just clean it a lot.

Have a look on detailing world forums.

S
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

Wash your jeans with a 1/4 cup of vinegar and then with soap as normal. It's meant to set the dye and stop them from fading. It should also stop the dye coming off on the seats. McGuires leather cleaner is good but with any cleaner, don't rub too hard or you'll remove the factory finish.
    I'll be doing all my jeans this way as I chose a tarts boudoir interior for my D5!

Example only, not my actual car.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

AndrewS wrote:
    Isn't a baby's bum made of leather ? Or a type of leather.

I guess so. But it’s not been treated by LR so resists stains and is cleaned easily by baby wipes.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

fisherman wrote:
    Wash your jeans with a 1/4 cup of vinegar and then with soap as normal. It's meant to set the dye and stop them from fading. It should also stop the dye coming off on the seats. McGuires leather cleaner is good but with any cleaner, don't rub too hard or you'll remove the factory finish.
    I'll be doing all my jeans this way as I chose a tarts boudoir interior for my D5!

Example only, not my actual car.

Mines ‘tarts boudoir’ too. Has the Oyster (orange really) piping so maybe more ‘hussies boudoir’. Looks great, though I was worried after always having black interiors on previous cars.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Hissinsid, will check those out. The LR leather cleaner works fine. Just have to now clean every other day !

There must be a coating though that’s rubbed off as the rest of the seat doesn’t suffer. Nor do the other seats. The whole family generally wear jeans.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum