Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

Sw1gs wrote:
    for those that do on a D5, are the black roofrails susceptible to chipping or was it just an errant LR technician.
    I would guess the black rails are just a powder coat of black paint and would likely scratch again.

I'm thinking of ordering Rhino Racks for mine, but am apprehensive about the (black paint) scratching as well. I'm pretty sure that the Rhino has bare metal for part of it's mounting lip latch (for what it's worth, their mount is the same part as for the BMW X3).

It's kind of a bummer that the D5, unlike the Disco Sport, has such a short section of raised rail. I measured and there is only about 600mm worth, which is around 100mm short of what most OEM's recommend as the minimum distance between crossbars. If there was enough length, I'd just order one of those rubber coated strap style racks like the Rhino StealthBar or Thule Crossroads.

BTW I am having an email dialogue with Yakima and setting them straight on the differences between the Sport and D5 rails. Surprised they haven't got around to the D5 yet.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

this is all good to hear hopefully by the spring next year there will be options available that will allow me to mount a RTT as has already been commented on the distance between the LR bars is under what most manufacturers say is need for a tent

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • eelpout
    United States 

for those into skiing/snowboarding I picked up an Inno Dual Angle Ski rack. it's meant to fit on raised factory rails via rubber coated metal straps. And we all know on the D5 the raised rail is an abbreviated affair. They sit about 25"/635mm apart on center with around 22.5"/570mm usable space between the rubber clamps when pushed to the max length of the raised rail we have to work with.

They seem to work fine but... when going through the instructions on installation (which I did look at online pre purchase, but somehow managed to miss this tidbit), it states that if one can't fit the entirety of the ski binding/brake assembly or both snowboard bindings within the carrier's spaced width, one should only drive up to 50 mph/80 km/h. OK... They don't actually state why they advise this, which would be helpful. Maybe it's about there being more exposed length on the board/ski and no binding braced up against a clamp? Luckily my tall brother-in-law's skis do fit but with my boards both bindings do not. Which begs the question, what if I didn't have bindings mounted??

Before I bought them I saw that the minimum advised spacing between the racks was 20-40" and I did double check that with Inno customer service beforehand and they said a couple feet would be fine. They failed to note to me the binding placement might be important though.

anyway, a couple pics while I decide whether or not to keep them.

EDIT: used this for a trip to Lake Tahoe skiing/snowboarding this week. worked well, except that normally one would shift this a bit further back to reduce wind noise over the front seats, but we D5'ers can't do that. the minimized span due to the short raised rail length wasn't an issue.

Last edited by eelpout on 16th Dec 2017 7:51 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

It looks like Thule have released their bars in NA

False alarm! I was looking at flush rails which as far as I know the 5 does not have Embarassed Embarassed

• eelpout
    United States 

Blackfly wrote:
    It looks like Thule have released their bars in NA

False alarm! I was looking at flush rails which as far as I know the 5 does not have

well, the D5 has those odd half-raised, half-flush hybrid rails because of the stepped roof line. it's technically a flush rail because of the lip on the outside rim.

and they are available in the US now, not sure about Canada. here are the part numbers and a link to the important part, instructions for Fit Kit 4080 made for the Discovery (Mk V).

Recommended products for Discovery 2017- (Flush rails)

Thule AeroBlade Edge 7604
    Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603
    KIT4080

The Thule AeroBlade Edge: The first complete rack system to integrate a low-profile, aerodynamic design with the strongest carrying capacity of any aftermarket rack.

$569.85

Thule AeroBlade ARB53
    Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack
    KIT4080

Thule Aeroblade Load Bars: Premium, aerodynamic load bars provide an exceptionally quiet ride and superior carrying performance. Thule Podium Foot Pack 460: Rapid Podium Foot Pack

$509.85
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Many thanks great news

• Blackfly
    Canada 

• rotalution
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Fuji White

So can the Thule 4080 cross bars be fitted with different positions?

And can someone show picture of how the LR cross bars fit to its fixed position with screws ? as someone mentioned holes.

I am guessing LR cross bars use screws vs Thule using clamp? can someone confirm please =)

Thank you in advance.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I have received the 4080 kit today. I can prove that you can install them to any part of the original flush rail. There is no pin on them, so the holes on the rails don't play any role. I have the original crossbars also but bought the Thule kit for the roof top tent with Thule ProBar 150cm to cover the full width of the tent, now I need to try to order one extra crossbar, as I wanted to have 3 crossbars with the tent, but don't know if it is possible.

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

what sort of tent are your getting?

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

Here is the comparison of both

The Thule connection looks like that

Last edited by Arslanoff on 24th Jan 2018 7:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

Blackfly wrote:
    what sort of tent are your getting?

Maggiolina Grand Tour medium in Black storm/carbon color combination. Will be here in 6-8 weeks

• Blackfly
    Canada 

nice, I am agonising over getting a RTT and had considered one of these. Maybe I will wait for your review Very Happy Thumbs Up

• rotalution
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Fuji White

Arslanoff wrote:
    Here is the comparison of both

The Thule connection looks like that

Thank you Arslanoff, your information and photos very helpful.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

Glad it helped you.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum