Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Verdicts on Snow and Ice Setting

With the awful (by UK standards) weather in the UK at the moment, what’s the verdict on the ice and snow programme setting?
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

The D5 is brilliant in the snow as long as you remain aware the laws of physics still apply !

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I agree. Seems that a lot of people I see out in 4x4's think that they are invincible, and can put their foot down! I saw a neighbours Shogun slide down a hill with all wheels locked up!

My snow setting seems to help a lot against the normal setting, definitely feels i'm much more in control.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

None of the problems that D4’s have Whistle

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • J77
    Scotland 

My Velar is going well in the snow, GGS and low traction launch and away it goes.

The snow was up to the front valance this morning

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

rogersmj wrote:
    I agree. Seems that a lot of people I see out in 4x4's think that they are invincible, and can put their foot down! I saw a neighbours Shogun slide down a hill with all wheels locked up!

My snow setting seems to help a lot against the normal setting, definitely feels i'm much more in control.

It's all very clever stuff and a lot more is happening behind the scenes than you might think:

GGS alters the accelerator pedal mapping to provide more a gradual / softer response, which helps avoid wheelspin caused by suddenly applying too much power.

The gearbox automatically sets off in 2nd gear (or 3rd in low range), again to reduce wheel slip. It also changes up and down the box in a smoother way to avoid sudden jerks in speed.

The electronic centre and rear differentials (if ftted) are switched to a higher preload setting, which means they’ll kick in sooner to stop one tyre spinning, and the traction control also switches to a more aggressive response pattern.

Hill Descent Control (HDC), which of course uses the ABS system to maintain a walking pace down steep hills, is automatically engaged in low range in GGS. You can alter the speed via the steering wheel controls. Its superb for scrubbing off speed without drama or touching the brakes.

The central message centre screen on the dash will display steering direction when more than 1/2 turn of steering lock is applied. Very handy when you have no idea which way the front wheels are pointing. As soon as you find grip of course you know as the D5 could shoot off in an unexpected direction !

Also the ABS is setup to allow a build up of material in front of the wheels to help aid slowing down. i.e. Its less aggressive than when in Normal mode and will allow some lock up.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Have had mine in mountain snows and snows down here in town. Since I compromised on tires and went with AT's vs snows this winter, it's less sure footed than I would like, but our winter has been incredibly mild so far, so overall it was a good gamble.

It has absolutely no problem accelerating in slippery conditions, even on the AT's, and in any mode. But turning and stopping definitely take forethought and careful coordination between eyes, feet, and hands.

Next year I'll be putting on proper winter tires.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

winter snowfall for Dec, Jan and Feb was 61, 86 and 53 centimeters respectively and the D5 took it in its stride but I am sure winter Scorpions made a big difference. Bit as I have said in other threads we have no choice in the province as it mandatory to fit winter tyres between 16 Dec and 16 April

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Blackfly wrote:
    winter snowfall for Dec, Jan and Feb was 61, 86 and 53 centimeters respectively and the D5 took it in its stride but I am sure winter Scorpions made a big difference. Bit as I have said in other threads we have no choice in the province as it mandatory to fit winter tyres between 16 Dec and 16 April

Mr. Green It's 15 Dec to 15 March...don't make me have to wait an extra month to take the motorcycle out, if weather permits. Winter tyres and motorcycles have the same dates.
    If you get caught without winter tyres between those dates you can be fined 200$ to 300$, plus fees (i assume governmental paperwork fees)

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

My Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV have been wonderful in the snow. We haven't had many snow storms this year but a few were heavy. I was driving through them without any issues. Maybe a few slides here and there, mostly on purpose, but i felt very safe.

I would keep the D5 in Snow etc mode and turn off the traction control for loads of fun in the parking lot at work. Played around in 30-40cm of snow the other week. I partially went up a snow bank left by the snow removal trucks but it was risky to try and reach the top without tumbling over if snow gave out.

All in all, the snow mode is good, but i take traction control off or you lose power to the wheels when in a wheel spin and cannot make it go where you want it to go. It simply lets you slide to a stop. Got me in trouble whilst playing around the first time.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

ForlornMTL wrote:
    Blackfly wrote:

Mr. Green It's 15 Dec to 15 March...don't make me have to wait an extra month to take the motorcycle out, if weather permits. Winter tyres and motorcycles have the same dates.
    If you get caught without winter tyres between those dates you can be fined 200$ to 300$, plus fees (i assume governmental paperwork fees)

You can tell I never get round to changing mine on time if I think its April

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

simonh wrote:
    The D5 is brilliant in the snow as long as you remain aware the laws of physics still apply !

...but the snow setting - surely this makes me invincibubble?!!!

Verdict Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Censored Thumbs Up
  • Craigp
    England 

DiscoStu wrote:
    None of the problems that D4’s have Whistle

So what setting is that? as i dont seem to have it listed on mine. I can certainly see the benefit, it just melts the snow then no need for fancy snow programmes. Thinking outside the box ! Love it. Laughing
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Got mine stuck in a drift yesterday All 4 wheels spinning Big Cry
    Tried to reverse out ........ not a hope tried off road height not happening Rolling Eyes
    Had to climb out of the passenger door to get out, and then started to dig , but it wouldn’t come out Shocked
    Then a 3 series BMW pulled behind me and offered to give me a pull back and luckily for me it was an X drive 4x4 and it did manage to get me off the drift and back the 3 or so metres to compacted snow Very Happy
    But I now am opening up to being rescued by a BMW 4 DOOR SALOON Embarassed Embarassed

Wouldn’t have happened if I had my Duratracs on like on the D4 Laughing

Note to self acquire 19” wheels for a decent set of winter tyres Rolling Eyes
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Miss my Duratrac’s too. Wish they did a 20” version. They cut through the compacted snow very effectively. The Scorpions are good on the slush and fresh snow but are not aggressive enough to be grippy when you really need it.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum