Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

No phone sounds or alerts when on bluetooth

I have had this issue since i first got my D5.
    My iPhone 7Plus with latest iOS, when connected to the D5 via bluetooth, it will ring when it's a phone call but when it's a text message, email or any other sound/alert it will not make a sound.

So i miss text messages all the time. I'll be on my way to meet someone and they send me a text message to tell me they will be late or whatever reason, and i will not know until i decide to have a look at the phone to see if i've missed a message.
    Lately i keep taking a look once in a while to make sure i haven't missed anything (friend's mother is in palliative care and i often get updates). This is very distracting and frustrating.

Does anyone else have this issue ?

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

All sound from the phone is routed via Bluetooth. If you change your audio source to be the phone you will then hear all your phone sounds.

i.e. If you're Source is set to the Radio/DAB then no sounds from your phone will be heard except the ringtone.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

So when i listen to music from my USB key (which is 97% of the time) i can't hear my phone sounds ?
    How silly is that. I also have an iPod. I never listen to music from my phone.

Why only the ringtone gets to make it through.

What sound are you....ehhh, the phone, sir....Ok, you can get through.
    Hey you ! Are you a phone ring or an alert ?....a text message sound, sir....STOP ! you shall not pass !

• RedBall
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

It is my understanding that the latest software allows the infotainment system to display/read text messages. Does the new software allow alert notifications to be seen or heard?
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

It’s Bluetooth. All sound is routed to a single device by default.

On the iPhone after you have connected to the car change the audio settings you can get around it in the Control Centre.

Tap the music Icon (top right on mine) then tap iPhone in the list (you should see Land Rober listed also) then phone sounds and audio route to the iPhone's speaker. The phone will still connect to the car for calls.

Had to do this on my last car to enable me to hear the TomTom app. PITA.

Problem is this is reverted to all audio to the car next time you connect.

Last edited by simonh on 8th Mar 2018 4:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

RedBall wrote:
    It is my understanding that the latest software allows the infotainment system to display/read text messages. Does the new software allow alert notifications to be seen or heard?

There is a display alerts setting but I’ve never got it to work. It’s in Live I think.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I had a similar problem. The phone would go but no ringtone in the car. Tried a couple of things but worked out I had to change it back from a downloaded ringtone to the default it would work Fine change it back it would stop.

2017 HSE Lux 3.0L Santorini Black
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

simonh wrote:

Well, the ringtone is, but not the other sounds. I never had this issue with my BMW.
    I read it's because the short notification sounds are too short for the bluetooth to have time to react.

simonh wrote:

So it has to be done every time you get back into the car ?

Along with using my phone as a hotspot for the D5 to get online (i'm not going to pay 25$ a month to use a few hundred megs of data).

Every time i get in i now have to set the audio, set the hotspot and wait for the D5 to connect to it as it cannot be done once moving. Then push OK on the steering wheel to let the D5 know i know i've sat down, and then that i've put the seatbelt on. (useless notifications, along with the your wheels are not straight when in snow mode)

I am starting to feel like i'm doing preflight checks on the space shuttle hahahahahahaha Rolling with laughter

Last edited by ForlornMTL on 8th Mar 2018 4:38 pm. Edited 2 times in total

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

simonh wrote:

On the iPhone after you have connected to the car change the audio settings you can get around it in the Control Centre.

Tap the music Icon (top right on mine) then tap iPhone in the list (you should see Land Rober listed also) then phone sounds and audio route to the iPhone's speaker. The phone will still connect to the car for calls.

I will give that a go, thank you for the information.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Good luck. This is what I've always had to do. Maybe the bluetooth profile in the D5 and my previous 2 DiscoSports cause it to work this way ?

You can also (just remembered) in the Phone screen on InControl change the phone setting to only connect for Phone and not Music. Again this seemed to default to both being on again after the ignition was turned off and the phone disconnected. Maybe it's fixed now and will remember the setting??

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

I'm not sure how it would fix itself on my end as there are no software updates in Canada.
    In the UK you seem to have had a few updates but here, not a single one since i took delivery in Septembre.
    Topix says no updates. Only F169 16,000 mile checkup and N118 - Service warning message not displayed.

So long as i can hear the phone's notifications and can take calls from the D5, then all is well.

Thanks again for all the info. Will give it a try at lunch time.
    Cheers !

• Dirty Trucker
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Have you checked your iPhone settings,i have mine set so no notifications or alerts when I'm driving....just a thought Idea
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

simonh wrote:

Bow down Bow down Bow down
    That works. As you said though, i have to do it each time i start the D5 but at least it's solved.

Thank you VERY much.

Last edited by ForlornMTL on 8th Mar 2018 7:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

simonh wrote:
    Good luck. This is what I've always had to do. Maybe the bluetooth profile in the D5 and my previous 2 DiscoSports cause it to work this way ?

You can also (just remembered) in the Phone screen on InControl change the phone setting to only connect for Phone and not Music. Again this seemed to default to both being on again after the ignition was turned off and the phone disconnected. Maybe it's fixed now and will remember the setting??

I can't see the setting for connect to phone or Music. I checked phone settings, bluetooth settings.

I just thought of something, i did not check music settings. Maybe it's there.
    Will try after work.

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Dirty Trucker wrote:
    Have you checked your iPhone settings,i have mine set so no notifications or alerts when I'm driving....just a thought Idea

Thanks for that.
    I checked and no, I have it set to manually, which means i said to leave me alone the first time it asked me.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum