Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Andrew K
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Farallon Black

Adaptive Cruise Control

I have a First Edition and was very disappointed to find it didn’t come with Adaptive Cruise Control. I enquired and was told it was not available as a retrofit. Has anyone had any experience of this ?
    It is the only significant flaw with my car, which I have now had for a year and covered 21,000 miles.
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I've had experience of ACC in our Golf, but no experience of LR's version or retro fits.

Love it in the Golf, but felt it was too expensive for occasional use in the LR
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

"Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist" was an option ISTR
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Probably the only option I haven’t got but wish I had. Has worked well in a few LR’s I’ve driven.

Only problem is the constant stream of people undertaking and moving into the gap it leaves (even on minimum spacing). Not a problem with AC, more a statement on the UK’s motorway users.

On a related topic, I did get to test EBA - that works Shocked

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Mark^^
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I have Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist in my HSE Lux, it was an option but I have only had my car a few months (just over 5,000km) and to date its mostly be a drive to and from work. I drive around 80km a day and mostly on regional roads with a bit of highway). I have only tried it a few times but only on short trips. I need to do some long highway driving to test it properly.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

DiscoStu wrote:
    Probably the only option I haven’t got but wish I had. Has worked well in a few LR’s I’ve driven.

Only problem is the constant stream of people undertaking and moving into the gap it leaves (even on minimum spacing). Not a problem with AC, more a statement on the UK’s motorway users.

On a related topic, I did get to test EBA - that works Shocked

That's a worldwide problem, have talked to several Tesla owners and other vehicle owners who have used ACC - in high-volume high-speed motorway traffic, they end up slower than all other traffic and feel like they're going backwards.

I don't miss it, never had it - don't want it. I'm afraid it would make me a lazy driver.
  • lemme
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Loire Blue

its the one option i could not be without... i have a 130 mile round trip 4 days a week , of which 90% is spent on the M25. ACC is used all the time on the motorway.... for three reasons:-

(1) saves my licence by sticking to the speed limit... without i would be travelling @ 80+ without realising
    (2) keeps me at a preset distance from the car in front
    (3) allows gentle progress in queuing traffic

... yes, all of these could be achieved without... however i feel i have become a better (and calmer) driver with.

The only downside of ACC, is the inevitable queue jumper, however with a quick 'cancel' of ACC'... followed by a 'resume' removes the heavy breaking of the system reacting to a car appearing in the pre-defined gap.[/list]

MY18 HSE Lux Loire Blue with Black Pack
    [most options ticked apart from HUD & Fridge)
  • Mark^^
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I used Adaptive Cruise Control incorporating Queue Assist with Intelligent Emergency Brakingtoday for the first time properly today. I have let it locked on to a car at higher speed and letting it keep a judged distance between both cars, but today I used it in slower and stop/start traffic.

On a main road with 100km speed limit that in the last 2 to 3km traffic slows to around 10 to 25km and some stop/start, as ahead of where I depart, the road flows from 2 lane into a single lane.

It was both terrifying, letting it put on the brakes and stopping when the car in front stopped, then starting up again by itself and heading after the car its locked onto at a nice distance between. Stopping was slightly abrupt as it clearly slowed down and then at about 4km it just stopped, but that meant I could take my hovering foot away. It was a bit slower in starting off but I will get used to it I guess.

I was very impressed and I guess I am going to be using it more and more now.
  • Craigp
    England 

I have the wife. Who helpfully points out when im traveling too fast or getting too close to the car in front. I think the LR one may be cheaper to run. Very Happy
  • hatjoepeg
    United Kingdom 

I love it too, always wondered (but assumed that they do) if the brake lights come on when the car is slowing itself down?
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Mark^^ wrote:

It was both terrifying, letting it put on the brakes and stopping when the car in front stopped, then starting up again by itself and heading after the car its locked onto at a nice distance between. Stopping was slightly abrupt as it clearly slowed down and then at about 4km it just stopped, but that meant I could take my hovering foot away. It was a bit slower in starting off but I will get used to it I guess.

I thought that it needed a slight accelerator press to get it moving again once stopped in a queue? Thats what the iGuide says as it will stop on its own but not set off again without a driver prompt.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If at complete stop, then yes, it needs throttle input.

Mark, if you thought that was terrifying, wait until it thinks it can't stop and just hands the car back to you... Whistle

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • eelpout
    United States 

Mark^^ wrote:

I was very impressed and I guess I am going to be using it more and more now.

I guess I'm less impressed with it (I have an HSE Lux) after driving others cars with superior solutions like Volvo. Sad

The Jag/LR system looks to be made by Bosch according to a nephew of mine who works on & tests these systems for a living; a combination of a stereo camera and radar sensors. My biggest gripe is it seems the field of view is rather narrow, so it is slow to react to both vehicles that merge into the space between you and the (previous) car in front and also on curves.

Near where I live in Silicon Valley there is a semi-mountainous road to Santa Cruz with a lot of sharp curves that people take at 45+ MPH. If the car in front is straight in front of you the system is fine, the car-gap you've programmed is taken into account, but once you enter these curves it no longer "sees" the car anymore and will try to accelerate to your set speed around the curve until it again "sees" the car and slams on the brakes. It's unnerving to say the least. Yeah, the solution is not to not use the system in these situations, but defining the system limitations is something competitors analyze.

(My nephew, who works in Michigan for a company I won't name says this road is one of their favorite testing grounds. Wink)
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum