Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

DiscoStu wrote:
    It's just the TDV6 currently in the Disco5 with a different map - doesn't necessarily mean that it will come to MY19 Disco, especially as LR seem to want to differentiate between LR and RR branding.

The 275 bhp tdv6 version is listed as a twin turbo engine on the German configurator, so it’s rather a sdv6 with a different map than an uptuned 258 bhp single turbo tdv6 in current D5s and RRSs.

Really seems like the single turbo v6 diesels are being phased out completely. Edit: Base FFRR still has them, but that’s about it.
  • winmar
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

The updated D5 brochure on LR UK‘s website gives the answer. The new 306bhp is the SDV6 unit from the RRS and not the new 6 inline Ingenium plant. The Si6 unit is not available anymore and sole petrol option is the Si4 which has it’s torque lowered to 400nm.

All in all a difficult call now as the MY19 technology options, including adaptive dynamics, and SDV6 make the D5 the perfect Q7 alternative for long trips towards the Alps and off-roading; the Q7 does the highways well, not the off-roading.

Yet I am not yet convinced that the SDV6 is the latest diesel technology available. Any thoughts?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I love the SDV6 in my D4 and with an extra 20% power in a lighter vehicle with adaptive dynamics I'm getting quite excited waiting for the one I've just ordered to be delivered. As far as i'm concerned, the only significant engine improvement that will be coming in the future will be completely different e.g. hybrid. Hopefully my 2019 D5 will keep me going until there is a real step forward in engine technology.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Labbix

I do believe it is still the same old engine as in the D4, with some minor changes. Already in 2016 a jaguar guy told me he had seen the d300 engine (I think it was called like that) on the list for the Disco5. But a bit later he told me it dissapeared from the same list. Which made me wonder if LR would do the same as with the discovery sport when it came out. They gave it first the old engine and a year later the ingenium... as to my info LR still has a contract with Ford until 2020 for the 3 litre diesel, so they now do exactly the same, keep the old engine running (with some necessary changes because of emission legislation) and than introduce the ingenium 6 cylinder diesel, most probably in 2020. To keep it ‘attractive’ until the new engine LR already decided in 2016 or before to give the disco5 first a single turbo version, the td6, with the same hp and torque as the sd6 from the disco 4 and than do an upgrade to the twin turbo and call it again sd6, but with lots more torque (and fun). I don’t see another reason why LR didn’t introduce the sd6 for the disco5 together with the Velar... But dont shoot me if I’m wrong Wink I dont see a hybrid soon for the Discovery 5 for the reasons mentioned by someone else here on the forum (7 seats and spare wheel and no place for batteries simply put). If I had a crystal ball...
  • Labbix

Another reason for this reasoning is that I assume the Disco 5 is already designed to contain the inline 6 cylinder ingenium (placed front to end, not sideways, although it might be possible to do this as well) why else would there be so much extra space in the engine compartment... in the disco4 it was filled up (only some place for a second battery, and now even the normal battery is put in the car, so in in stead of giving us more space for 4x4 tools or whatever to keep in the car, there is now actually a lot of ‘lost’ space into the engine compartment and, to my opinion, not enough useful space for my compressor and so on in the car itself. Time will tell, as always Wink
  • winmar
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I do see a Hybrid D5 coming in 2020/2021 when LR has ramped capacity to deliver this in sufficient volumes to the FFRR and RRS for which the PHEV have now long delivery times (10-12 months). Labbix comment on the contract with Ford until 2020 is a strong point which helps to opt for ordering a new D5 now. Emotionally I am already sold, rationale is progressing Smile
  • Labbix

So, It’s sold then, as most people don’t buy a car because of rationale, but because of emotions Wink
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Labbix wrote:
    I do believe it is still the same old engine as in the D4, with some minor changes. Already in 2016 a jaguar guy told me he had seen the d300 engine (I think it was called like that) on the list for the Disco5. But a bit later he told me it dissapeared from the same list. Which made me wonder if LR would do the same as with the discovery sport when it came out. They gave it first the old engine and a year later the ingenium... as to my info LR still has a contract with Ford until 2020 for the 3 litre diesel, so they now do exactly the same, keep the old engine running (with some necessary changes because of emission legislation) and than introduce the ingenium 6 cylinder diesel, most probably in 2020. To keep it ‘attractive’ until the new engine LR already decided in 2016 or before to give the disco5 first a single turbo version, the td6, with the same hp and torque as the sd6 from the disco 4 and than do an upgrade to the twin turbo and call it again sd6, but with lots more torque (and fun). I don’t see another reason why LR didn’t introduce the sd6 for the disco5 together with the Velar... But dont shoot me if I’m wrong Wink I dont see a hybrid soon for the Discovery 5 for the reasons mentioned by someone else here on the forum (7 seats and spare wheel and no place for batteries simply put). If I had a crystal ball...

Seems like a reasonable argument to me Thumbs Up

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • CanadianLurker
    Canada 

winmar wrote:
    The updated D5 brochure on LR UK‘s website gives the answer. The new 306bhp is the SDV6 unit from the RRS and not the new 6 inline Ingenium plant. The Si6 unit is not available anymore and sole petrol option is the Si4 which has it’s torque lowered to 400nm.

All in all a difficult call now as the MY19 technology options, including adaptive dynamics, and SDV6 make the D5 the perfect Q7 alternative for long trips towards the Alps and off-roading; the Q7 does the highways well, not the off-roading.

Yet I am not yet convinced that the SDV6 is the latest diesel technology available. Any thoughts?

In North America the RRS and D5 both have the same 254 hp engine. And for that matter, it’s the same one for the RR. This leads me to believe that they’ll stick with the same engine in North America as it looks like the upgraded engine for 2019 in Europe was never certified for North America. If it had been then I’d expect that it would have been offered for the RRS and/or RR, which hasn’t been the case.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum