Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Ordered

Collecting a D5 HSE Lux in Corris Grey on Thursday! really questioning my decision after reading all the problems everybody seems to be having on here!

Really hope it is a peach and not a lemon! Guess time will tell Smile
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

There are around 45,400 owners who haven't commented at all - guess their cars are ok Thumbs Up

Mine is too, btw Smile

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

There are software issues but nothing more major than that and these are to be expected on a new model no matter what make

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

RB, our MY18 is running as sweet as a nut, compared too our MY17 which was riddled with faults. No rattles or leaks or squeaks or software issues that I know about, touch wood. Excellent smooth engine, really comfortable and excellent driving manners. Brilliant when towing as well. Screwed well together. A superb all-rounder Very Happy

I think the majority of the earlier issues with the MY17 cars have been ironed out, for the MY18 cars, apart from the ad blue/servicing issues on the diesel engines which is still ongoing unfortunately. Incidentally we now have a petrol, so thankfully not affected with this now.

Only niggle is that the reverse parking sensors are not working, It's not a big issue unlike a knackered engine, but having too rely on the cameras is a bit of a pain. Hopefully getting sorted in a few weeks time.

You won't be disappointed, I can assure you. If running costs are not an issue then the petrol is the one too go for. Averaging 25 mpg on long runs but takes a bit of a hammering in town, 13 mpg odd. I hope this short summary helps Thumbs Up
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, does make me feel more at ease, I am still on edge reading about the deployable tow bar issue (dealer did not seem to be aware but have said I want the alterations done before collection) and then reading about what some users have said about weave whilst towing!

I chose the D5 as a tow car for my twin axle van (she is a big girl at 2T & 7M long).

It has to be an improvement over the V6 Amarok with cart springs we used to tow with.

Cheers
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Yeah I can completely agree with Road Runner on this, my MY17 D5 had a lot of problems, oil dilution issue, deployable tow-bar problems, electric seat issues and so on.... In all fairness most were sorted by my dealership, so it was still a really good car in the end.

My MY18 has been almost perfect since I got in at the beginning of March, the only issue i've had is with the alarm sensors, however I can live with that for the moment until it goes in to be fixed, and by the sounds of it, its not a common problem across D5's.

My MY17 D5 had me wondering if i'd made the right decision, but my MY18 made me realise I have!
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Zero trouble on my 2018MY so far Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

rogersmj wrote:
    Yeah I can completely agree with Road Runner on this, my MY17 D5 had a lot of problems, oil dilution issue, deployable tow-bar problems, electric seat issues and so on.... In all fairness most were sorted by my dealership, so it was still a really good car in the end.

My MY18 has been almost perfect since I got in at the beginning of March, the only issue i've had is with the alarm sensors, however I can live with that for the moment until it goes in to be fixed, and by the sounds of it, its not a common problem across D5's.

My MY17 D5 had me wondering if i'd made the right decision, but my MY18 made me realise I have!

I totally agree with you Rogersmj Thumbs Up

We too were doubting getting another D5 after the MY17 nightmare, but glad we have stuck with the brand.

With regards too the deployable, 4 dealers were pushing for the deployable, but we refused.(Beginning too think they are getting commission for selling them, and asking us why not ??) Laughing

Went for the fixed, height adjustable which we have had on all the Discos and has never let us down once. Apart from the cosmetics of the deployable, we would rather functionality over aesthetics as the Mrs would say. Last thing i would want is too have an incident with the deployable or removable towbar failing. All the dealers had a surprised look when i mentioned this. (Am sure they are fully aware of this happening though in a few isolated incidents) Shocked

Had a deployable on the loan D5 until the FE was still delivered. Had issues with it not deploying and then sticking half way out. Never felt as good towing the car transporter complete with car, compared too the D4 with a fixed towbar, plus the swan neck was quite loose when shaken, hardly confidence inspiring !!
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all, now looking forward again to Thursday and beyond, really appreciate it Very Happy
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Picked up the car yesterday and I love it, one thing I hadn’t noticed on the test drives was that the cruise function doesn’t brake to maintain speed, only to maintain distance with ACC, this was a shock and called the dealer who advised none of the JLR products have it, can you confirm I am not doing something silly as most of the driver aids hadn’t been turned on by the dealer (lka etc), it surely must do it, every BMW, Mercedes and even vw caddy vans I have owned with cruise/acc hold their speed down a hill!

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Mine doesn't hold speed down hill which I was surprised at too. I wonder if you can set the speed limiter in conjunction with the cruise control to maintain speed?

Come to think of it, I wonder if the speed limiter actually brakes to maintain speed?
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

OK in a word NO!

The iGuide states that on steep downhill gradients the speed may increase and driver intervention would be required. Shocked
  • J77
    Scotland 

I’ll need to pay more attention next time I’m on the motorway but I’m sure my Velar holds its speed, maybe not but any excuse for a drive.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Craigp
    England 

I'm not aware of any cars I've had that brake whilst on cruise control. 3 x LR, 3 x Volvo, fords.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Me neither - it's just through engine braking. The D5 is lighter than the 4 (and less brick-shaped), so it will naturally slow less

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum