Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mcgroa
    United Kingdom 

Tint vs Glass swindle.

Hello would love views on issue from a dealer, which is to me quite a shocking misrepresentation:

Bought D5 that was already built/due for short delivery. Order included Privacy Glass. Picked up 2wks after signed.

Collected and drove about couple of months til noticed bubbles in rear windows. Then discovered that Dealer had fitted Tints - wasnt proper dark glass. Had not noticed untile then but was after 30 days.

Dealer claims this is "Dealer Fit Privacy Glass", This was never discussed/disclosed and invoice says "Privacy Glass".

On threat of rejecting car for not being sold "as described", dealer say sorry miunderstanding, now offered refund on the cost of the "privacy glass".

I feel I should be entitled to what I ordered and have real glass fitted. Getting glass replaced a concern in itself (will they bodge), But never in my puff had this bait and switch pulled on me before.

Any thoughts, views or advice gratefully received. Is this a normal thing for dealer to do/try? cheers
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Its a bad situation to be in, however if you have an order for a car, which includes a LR part/option number for Privacy Glass, then they haven't given you what they told you they would.

If you haven't been given what you paid for, then I would assume you can reject the car and get your money back. I would guess its going to be a lot of money to get all the glass replaced with privacy, but its whether the dealer wants to keep the sale or not.

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

It's not unusual for dealers to fit tints and the terminology used is not clearly defined as privacy glass could mean either...so it sounds to me as a misinterpretation on both sides. If you had asked for 'factory fit' privacy glass then I think that would have strengthened the case....equally they should have been clear about it being dealer fit tints to glass to attain the privacy.

Your call on pushing it further but I'm not sure that I'd want all the rear windows replaced after the motor has been built. It's unlikely the finished results would ever be 100% right tbh.
  • Labbix

After market tint is cheap, which means cheap to replace as well. Factory fit glass is different, it is colored glass, not a film placed on it (and mostly not black black, but a bit more greenish black)
    I would ask for a discount or some extras you can use, and just have the badly placed film replaced, by smash and grab for instance, gives you added protection as well. I did my front windows and screen as well. Would not change the windows, can only be worse after, for what my opinion is worth of course.
  • mcgroa
    United Kingdom 

thanks all good points. certainly its prob better to have factory fitted glass and a tint that can come off than dealer bodged fitted glass, seals wrong etc etc.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

When I ordered mine I was given the option of an 'already built' for collection within three weeks or an order to my spec available in three months.
    I wanted privacy glass but didn't want to wait so took the 'already built' one and had the glass tints applied after delivery arranged by myself.
    The 'firm' I use is excellent and have used him for all my new cars. I say Firm but in actual fact he is a one man band and is a racing car fan and does allsorts of things involving vehicle personalisation logos too
    When I first used him nine years ago, I watched him and was worried sick about the way he 'popped' panels off to get behind them to apply the full cover film.
    I also mentioned bubbles, krikey he nearly burst a blood vessel but when he calmed down he said that if there were any bubbles in his work after one day he would give me £50 for every one, that was/is how confident he is about his work.
    So my point, although a bit long winded, is that Tints applied after market, if applied correctly, can be as good as any factory glass tint and cost a little less than half the price.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

I’ve previously had salespeople at dealers try and convince me that the film that’s applied at the dealer is as good as glass with an impregnated tint from the factory, but it just isn’t.

If you apply film with the right technique and skill a remarkable job can be done, but it will always look like aftermarket film. Heated rear window elements, inbuilt radio aerials, manufacturer’s logos and those halos around the edges of fixed glass will always be visible, whereas they aren’t with a factory tint. Having said that, I’ve added is to a used Land Rover before and apart from the above, it looked okay.

If I’d clearly specced factory tints and my dealer had switched it to aftermarket I’d not accept it prior to delivery. However, after this time you may have to have a watertight description of “factory privacy glass” on the order as this will cost him a huge amount to fix and he’s unlikely to give in easily.

If it were replaced, they’d get one of the windscreen people in to do it and while they can do a good job, things can get damaged and they will almost certainly switch the glass from Genuine to Micky Mouse stuff.

Not sure what to suggest for the best.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Factory tint will not stop harmful UV light, whereas tint film will, along with protecting the cars interior from the rays Thumbs Up

Previously paid £400 for the factory tints, (plus an extra £100), and the rear window was still far too light, for my liking, especially with the RSE for all too see. (I already mentioned in a previous post that the factory glass has a black dye / colouring added too it during its production).

This time round I only paid £250 for all the windows, which were limo tint (5%). Quite alot darker than the LR ones. Guy did a sterling job and was so confident that if any bubbles appeared he would replace it free of charge. You can't event tell that they are film.

Another advantage as someone just mentioned is that its tougher to pentrate than the factory LR glass, giving extra protection, due too the layer of film and also will hold together in the case of an accident, limiting the amount of glass flying about.

Only issue is that you can't see anyone in the back seats from the outside even up close too the window, but if looking out everything can be clearly seen, a bit like a 1 way mirror.

I personally prefer tint film compared too the manufacturers glass. My car also has factory tints, and I ended up putting a darker tint on the rear window, which like the LR ones, were too light even though sides were darker. Am sure its too do with the law in several countries stating the rears can only be tinted too a certain percentage, unlike the UK.

I do like the trick window tints which can make the cars windows go all black at flick of a switch and vice versa Cool
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

When I had my windows tinted the guy doing it told me he could only do it to a certain level of shade due to the law. I tried to persuade him to go darker to give more protection to my dog and the vehicle contents but he would not budge. I must admit I have never noticed any difference regarding radio arial or heating elements being visible, in fact they are only barely noticeable if looking for them.
    I would certainly not hesitate recommending him to anybody in the area of Trowbridge or within reasonable distance of there.
  • J77
    Scotland 

Factory privacy glass all day long for me. Aftermarket IMO looks horrid and cheap, especially when all the heating elements are showing through and you can see edge of it around the window.

The order form should have a code next to it and the price for that option if it’s factory fit glass.

EDIT - just check the order form for my D5 and Velar both have option code - 047AB Privacy Glass

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Mine certainly doesn't look ' Horrid and Cheap' and there is certainly nothing to be seen 'all around the edges'
    It is slightly cheaper, but I tend to want my vehicle as soon as I decide to change, so accept what is available soonest.
    In all cases so far I have had to have after market tinting and have been more than satisfied and had no detrimental remarks from any of my other LR owners.
  • J77
    Scotland 

Just purely my opinion

This is the kind of thing that springs to mind

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Perhaps we are not so fussy 'darn sarf' us 'soft southerners' Wink
    or blind Laughing
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

As i posted a few weeks back, you can go as dark as you like from B pillar backwards.

Fronts you can only have 70% and 75% tint with the side windows and windscreen.

LR ones are already on the limit as they have a green tinge from the factory.

Been using same guys since 2003 and the service has been exceptional. the guy took 7 hours too do all the windows apart from the front windscreen.

Said the back window is a nightmare on the D5 due too its curvature. I think i was the 5th one that he had done. He takes pride in his work, and likes too take his time and not rush. So we just dropped it off and waited for him too ring when it was finished.

Did an amazing job and you can always change the film shade later on if its not what you liked. This cannot be done with factory tints,

I have seen videos online with a baseball hitting a window with film on it and its virtually impenetrable.

With regards too the lines it never really bothered me. Am sure if they were that bad the MRS would have piped up as she is a stickler for detail.

What does look cheap and nasty is the chavs in the Vauxhall Corsas who buy the DIY prefit film tints online. What a mess, ripples and bubbles eveywhere, with the edges all dog eared, and the tint peeling off.

Just take them off ffs Rolling Eyes

And as for your comment on them being horrid J77, i suggest you take your opinion and shove it where the sun dont shine mate as i do not agree. If you can see the edge of the window then the tint has been cut too short- i cant see any edges on ours. Plus i gather that 90 % of all the cars without window tints look tacky too, as you can see the orange heating element lines as well, even though windows are not tinted ???

End of the day its a personal preference. I saved £250 and thats alot of beer money.
    Its not a Rolls Royce, but a LR. That much attention too detail, you must have OCD mate. Rolling with laughter
  • J77
    Scotland 

Likewise Thumbs Up

When spending £60k on a car I have the right to be fussy.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum