Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

For the vertically challenged among us...

https://www.facebook.com/Refraid/videos/184642928923129/

I’ve yet to clean the roof of my car - but not sure if this is the way to go...

18MY Yulong White HSE
    I may be a while
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Good idea.

Says will hold up to 300lbs of weight, but will the door hinge its clamped onto with hold that much weight ??

I would be afraid if it snapped it off, or twisted it, or rip the hinge from the body itself Shocked
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Well, if you clean with water, you might get some inside as the door will be open.

As Road Runner 2017 says, i'm not certain it could take the weight without risking damage.
    And, i'm fairly certain it would scratch the door sill where the bottom part of it settles.
    Since it's not fixed in position, it would rub up against the paint every time you move around, get up or step down.

Great idea, but poor engineering. the door catch is only made to receive the door and have the lock catch on. No way did ANY manufacturer think of engineering this part for any sort of downward and outward pulling forces. Only lateral forces, which is the way the door opens.

I may be wrong and maybe it could take it, but the simple fact that it will certainly scratch the door sill is a no go for me.

I'm 6'-1" and it would be great to have added height for the odd times i may need it, but not this way.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Think you will find there is some engineering goes into the door lock/catch assembly as it is designed to hold in the event of an accident and not to fail allowing the door to open and occupants to be ejected.

However having said that I am of the same opinion, it will do a lot of damage to the paint work

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

Agreed, it's not worth the risk to the paintwork or the door alignment.

It's incredible how my fb feed knew I was in need of a solution for reaching my roof - it's like my phone is listening to me... Rolling Eyes

Has anyone got any tips for washing the roof without dragging a ladder around the car?

18MY Yulong White HSE
    I may be a while
  • Labbix

I raise the car and stand on the wheels, or go to a car wash and let them figure it out Wink
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Imbaw wrote:
    Agreed, it's not worth the risk to the paintwork or the door alignment.

It's incredible how my fb feed knew I was in need of a solution for reaching my roof - it's like my phone is listening to me... Rolling Eyes

Has anyone got any tips for washing the roof without dragging a ladder around the car?

A pair of stilts or platform shoes maybe ?? Rolling with laughter
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I just don't wash it. With the oil dilution it goes back to the dealer enough to keep it clean Razz

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Russell wrote:
    Think you will find there is some engineering goes into the door lock/catch assembly as it is designed to hold in the event of an accident and not to fail allowing the door to open and occupants to be ejected.

However having said that I am of the same opinion, it will do a lot of damage to the paint work

That's true !
    My first thought was just lateral movements upon an accident. But if the door gets hit in the middle, it will be pulling towards the center of the door along with some lateral movement.
    It's the up and down movement i'm not sure about as there is more steel to leverage with the latch than lateral movement.

Anyhow, i think we mostly all agree it's not good for the paint anyway, so, my point is moot.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I think it would have been a better design if the whole unit was encased by a thick rubber mould.

Alot more grippy and less chance of scratching the paintwork.

But like the other comments i am not sure about up and down movement, I would like too see someone who is 18 stone bounce up and down on the hinge Laughing

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 31st May 2018 2:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Imbaw wrote:

As i mentioned above, i'm 6'-1", so i don't have much of a problem to wash the roof with a brush on an extendable stick.
    But if i end up getting a kayak or something else to carry on the roof, something more stable than a foot on a tyre might be welcomed.

And if at my height i don't notice the dirt on my roof, i assume you see even less of that dirt than me hahahahahahaha
    Although you might see it through the panoramic roof, but i never look up whilst driving so i 'm fine Rolling with laughter

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    I think it would have been a better design if the whole unit was encased by a thick rubber mould.
    Alot more grippy and less chance of scratching the paintwork.

Yes, that would make sense, and easily doable after the purchase. But i have a feeling it's not really that stable as there's probably some lateral play once you're up on it and moving about trying to reach something on the roof. I think a more fixed solution, even if temporarily fixed, would be safer.

Or maybe i'm looking into this way deeper than i should. Silly problem solving brain going all out on something i won't buy hahahahaha

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Lol i think its an HSE issue (Health and Safety).

Count me out Laughing
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

These things look a lot better Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Labbix wrote:
    I raise the car and stand on the wheels, or go to a car wash and let them figure it out Wink

This, or I use a small two-step fold-out utility stool. I only take mine to "touchless" car washes...
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum