Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Trailer Assist Calibration

Hi all,

As I pull a number of different trailers, I thought it a good idea that I set up the trailer assist to help. (This is the standard trailer assist as I don't have the advanced trailer assist).

OMG, is it just me, or is it a total pain to set up!?

So, the easy part is to measure and give the setup the details of the length/width, etc. I then stuck my 3 circle, triangular sticker onto the front of the main trailer I use (Which is a double horse box). Once the sticker is seen by the camera, you are then asked to 'drive forward'... So I did... for 4 miles! The system kept telling me it couldn't see the sticker, then it could, then it couldn't - and so on!

In the end I managed to get it to complete the calibration and thats where I thought it was finished... How wrong I was! So it would seem now that if the sticker isn't seen again, it prompts you to re-calibrate it again! Really???

Don't even think it helps anyway, but thought i'd try and use it as it was supposed to help!

Anyone else had a similar experience?

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I had exactly the same only with a boat trailer, I wasn't sure whether the sticker needed to be on permanently which is nigh on impossible in my case. I get a message when I hitch up along the lines of has a trailer been connected.

It's a bit of a PITA..

MY17 Carpathian Grey HSE TDV6, MY18 Indus Silver HSE Lux TDV6. MY20 Lux sd6 Eiger Grey
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Yeah rsr, had the same issue with a small trailer I use. Once I added the dimensions to the car, it asked me to stick the sticker on a piece of air about a foot above the actual trailer - i.e. in the air!

its a shame you can't switch it off, like you said it always asks you whether you have connected a trailer when it senses the electrics are connected.

One word - CRAP!

• GP1200
    Australia 

Re: Trailer Assist Calibration

[quote="rogersmj"]Hi all,

As I pull a number of different trailers, I thought it a good idea that I set up the trailer assist to help. (This is the standard trailer assist as I don't have the advanced trailer assist).

OMG, is it just me, or is it a total pain to set up

Hi Rogersm,

I didn’t realize there is two types of “ trailer assist “ I thought if you were using the target, you would have the “ advanced trailer assist”. If you didn’t have that then any of the other functions wouldn’t work or be needed? Hence why it doesn’t work ?

Thanks
    Jack
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Hi,

yeah I know theres an option you pay for called Advanced Trailer Assist, thats the one where you pull up the terrain button and can 'drive' the car using it. I don't have that on mine, but the sticker on the trailer does work.

I'm not sure if its due to me having all around cameras, maybe this is part of that because once its set up, you are presented with the two side cameras looking back, plus drive lines which tell you where the trailer is heading.

Still doesn't give you a better option that opening the window and sticking your head out! Very Happy

• RyanRC
    United States 

Hello all

Here's a vid I found on youTube:

...which I think discusses the points of this topic a lot and while I have not read the manual for this, it does seem to show that sticker with three circles on it (see vid at 6:34 & 7:13) and then the many forms of measurement inputs is still something that is needed even if you have the ATA option?

About the only thing aside that I wonder that might be there more is perhaps it saves this info per a single trailer type (IE, boat, caravan, horse trailer) in the computer so the full calibration process per that category of selection, then per the thing you are towing provided it was what you used last for that, does not have to all this repeated after you change that to something else, then went back to that thing?

Then would also stand to reason that if you hooked up something while of that same type of category but is different setup (ie two axel over one) and/or measurement, then that have to be re-done for that one, and also would be the one last saved?

Might think even too if that is the case, then I would think the location of that sticker really needs to be in just about the exact same spot each time per that setup or the results could be bit off?

In other words, for every thing you are going to trailer, you might almost want to, one created some type of setup for this sticker where it's hard fixed to what ever point you want it to be, and then two, make it so it can handle sitting there in what ever conditions it will see for some time.

So if indeed you have more than one thing you are towing you might do something like get a bunch of these stickers, laminate them, then put them in some kind of frame that you can hard mount to a spot so its always going to be in the same spot every time?

Just to provide more, here is a written review of this showing pretty much that same in that it needs this sticker: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tec...st-tested/
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, definitely need one of these stickers per trailer. When you hook up a trailer and start the car, the system asks if you have connected a trailer up. If you say yes, then it gives you the option to choose which trailer you've hooked up (and displays a selection of the trailers that you have set up in the system).

I've been concentrating on the horse box with this, mainly as i've only purchased one of these stickers and wanted to find out whether or not it was something that i'd use. To be honest I don't have many problems backing the horse trailer as i've done it so many times, so this extra 'help' isn't really needed. Just wanted to try and use all the tech the car comes with! (probably a guy thing! Very Happy )

The biggest pain is that it always prompts you when you've connected a trailer up. If you say yes, then you have to choose this trailer assist. If you say no, then you have to manually select the camera if you want to view the trailer.

• RyanRC
    United States 

Thank you RogersJM for the feed back on this.

An if it's not too much trouble....just to I see if understand this better I was hoping I could pose this scenario.

So even if I get the additional ATA option and all the others needed, lets say I have a horse trailer and I put the sticker and in the right location, then too I input all its calibration points and perform all the processes needed and then after use the system to help me park the trailer, and then after that I disconnect and drive away to go to a few other spots at the event at which a few times I start and stop the car.

Then about hour later I get a cell call that where I left the trailer as not a correct spot and I need to move it.

So I go back, reconnect and bring it to a new location just down the road, and so even then I need to redo all the same things again I did before or else it will not work?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I have this and set a hard sticker on the front of the caravan with velcro, I then set up the system and it stores the caravan. If you then put another trailer on you can also set that up and store that, not sure how many you can store but it is s few. Just need to get a supply of stickers.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

So RyanRC,

it would seem from experimenting, that as long as the sticker is 'seen' by the system, theres no need to recalibrate the trailer, however this is not very reliable.

I have towed my horse trailer and initially when I select yes to the question about whether i've attached a trailer, then select the type of trailer in my list of calibrated ones, the sticker is 'seen', and everything seems fine. But when I turn a corner or bend, the sticker seems to be lost by the system and I get a message up about having to re-calibrate again!?!? Then as the sticker is 'seen' again, the message disappears..

Not a very good system TBH and if I had the option to disable it I would. I don't understand why you need it if you are travelling forward!? Even when its working well when reversing, the 'tram lines' that show aren't all that accurate either.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

rogersmj wrote:
    Yeah rsr, had the same issue with a small trailer I use. Once I added the dimensions to the car, it asked me to stick the sticker on a piece of air about a foot above the actual trailer - i.e. in the air!

its a shame you can't switch it off, like you said it always asks you whether you have connected a trailer when it senses the electrics are connected.

One word - CRAP!

I have the exact same problem, with the smaller trailer.

Luckily the bigger one has side extensions fitted, so it's not an issue.

Can you purchase the TARGET 🎯 elsewhere apart from LR?

Cost approximately?

Thanks.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Hi Road Runner 2017,

i'm not sure if you can buy them from anywhere apart from the LR dealers. I paid £5 for the one I got. I would think you could photocopy them as theres no specific differences on the sticker (apart from the fact that its sticky!!).

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Thanks Rodgesmj

Could not see them anywhere on the LR website for sale?

I would have thought that anyone having a tow bar fitted would get this thrown in as well. Obviously not. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 12th Jun 2018 1:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Thats exactly what I thought! To be honest i'd have expected a few!

• rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

It's no good if you are towing a boat for example, there is nowhere to permanently mount it and even if there was it would look like something to aim for Very Happy

MY17 Carpathian Grey HSE TDV6, MY18 Indus Silver HSE Lux TDV6. MY20 Lux sd6 Eiger Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum