Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• docf
    Austria 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

deactivate automatic start stop permanently

Hello

next week we get our new Disco 5 HSE SD4 ; )
    This is our first new one and i am very happy to get one.
    For us it´s the perfect family car.

But there is one annoying thing with it. The wonderful stop start automatic.
    I hate this feature. In our second car a vw Caddy, i could deactivate it.
    I constantly jam the button witch a tooth pick ; )
    Would this work witch my new Disco ?
    Are there other tricks to deactivate it?

Best Regards

Franz
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

The button with the circle and arrow around the "A" will enable/disable the stop start.

Bottom right, next too the handbrake. Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

I wouldn’t worry about it. The system starts the engine fast enough. Also a light hold in the brake stops it activating. A firm push in the brake activates it. If it does stop just release the pressure a little to restart or tug the steering wheel to restart the engine.

I’ve not had it cut in and cause me any issue at all.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Same here no issues and its always left on. Only found out what it did when I was twiddling with the buttons when first got the car. Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I disable mine every time I start the car. It's second nature now. Press Start, tap Stop/Start button. Takes less than a second.
  • docf
    Austria 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Thank you for your replies.
    Does the trick ( of constantly pressing the Button ) work in the disco like it does in our caddy.
    Back then i was really surprised that this work with the vw.

Thanks.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

i absolutely hate this feature but only because where i am from it's a constant move, stop, move, stop, move, stop, move, traffic light, move, traffic, move, stop. so i also just press the button every time i get in the car. (i'm not sure so much start/stop the engine can be good for the starter motor.)
    i asked at the dealers if it could be disabled via software option on their system and the answer is NO Sad. now having the button constantly jammed with a toothpick i am not sure if it'll work. but i wouldn't wanna do that either i think :/ not on such a car. if it was a cheap car i probably wouldn't care lol

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

I leave mine on all the time and dont notice it at all. Who cares if it breaks the starter its under warranty. I suspect that its not allowed to be permanently disabled as its part of the required features for current emission regulations.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

It took me a while, however I get on with the stop/start just fine now.

Got used to that point on the brake whereby if you press down that little bit harder, the engine stops. However, if you are a junction/roundabout and want to pull out faster, then less pressure on the brake pedal means the stop/start doesn't activate.

Theres still the odd time now and then that the engine will stop when you don't want to, but nothing too bad.

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Doesn't the D5 have a separate stop/start battery? If it did, posts on disco4.com suggests that for the later D4 models stop/start doesn't work when that battery is flat. In which case, I'd take that battery out Very Happy

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

AndrewS wrote:
    I leave mine on all the time and dont notice it at all. Who cares if it breaks the starter its under warranty. I suspect that its not allowed to be permanently disabled as its part of the required features for current emission regulations.

i'd leave it on if i lived somewhere else where i don't have to stop behind a car or traffic light every 15m honest lol

• AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

You will find that it soon realises you are in very slow moving traffic and the car will stop 'stop starting' well that's what mine does. Say after 4 or 5 stop start cycles over a short distance the stop start stops.

Remember that if the system detects low battery or you are using lots of electrical power the stop start will stop. For instance when the stop start has stopped the engine stick your aircon to max I bet the engine will re-start immediately.

Just ignore it you won't even know it's there Thumbs Up
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

but isn't it just easier for me to switch OFF when i get in the car? it's just a button i need to press lol i don't mind it when i go off to Spain cos' i know that i won't be stopping every few metres though it's usually off by then cos i automatically switch off when i get in the car when i leave home.

• RyanRC
    United States 

IndusD4 wrote:
    Doesn't the D5 have a separate stop/start battery? If it did, posts on disco4.com suggests that for the later D4 models stop/start doesn't work when that battery is flat. In which case, I'd take that battery out Very Happy

Ron
    Please take this as info I was told by someone else, but from what I understand from talking to a friend of mine who is a LRJ tech, with the new D5 they switched the assembly for this from a battery power source to a capacitor, and the capacitor is quite a intrical part of a complete control unit for this so its not just as simple as disconnect the battery and the car will not shut off any more.

Probably someone who is determined enough could backward tech this an perhaps find a way to disable, but according to him by looking at the unit, he said it might not be to easy.

Also one thing I keep hearing about these cars is as so much of the computer systems are all intertwined, all kinds of odd things can happen when you start taking stuff out of the system.

I asked about perhaps just disconnecting the powered rear hatch rods as I measured out for where the car would sit in my garage and how far/high the hatch opens and for sure it would hit the inside of my garage door frame and part of the door.

Yeah I know it can be programed somewhat for a certain height, but if that ever fails I could have a nice scuff on the tail gate, plus also to for how far it would not go up, now I have make sure I bend over far enough not to keep hitting my head on the inside of the gate.

Anyway, when I discussed this with him and even brought up it probably would be OK as the bottom baseline model does not have a powered gate, he replied yeah, but if the model is programed to have it, you could disconnect it but you never know what that will do and it could make you windshield wipers stop and your CD player play ever other song or something.

All in all I think he was being over dramatic by saying it that way, but by intent to stress any number of odd things can happen and you just never know what they might be.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Re: deactivate automatic start stop permanently

docf wrote:
    Hello

next week we get our new Disco 5 HSE SD4 ; )
    This is our first new one and i am very happy to get one.
    For us it´s the perfect family car.

But there is one annoying thing with it. The wonderful stop start automatic.
    I hate this feature. In our second car a vw Caddy, i could deactivate it.
    I constantly jam the button witch a tooth pick ; )
    Would this work witch my new Disco ?
    Are there other tricks to deactivate it?

Best Regards

Franz

Why would you want to, the system is a lot better than that fitted to the D4 and learns about your driving as well.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum