Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Annoyed with "Find" when using an MP3 USB stick

Is it just me that finds it annoying that when you are listening to a song and want to choose a different song from the same artist but a different album, you have to start from the beginning.

I'll be listening to an artist named "W" and want to switch albums from said artist.
    I tap "Find". It then takes me to the top of the Artist list.
    So i have to tap around 3/4 of the way down and then scroll with the arrows to find "W" again.

Why can't i just be listening to artist "W" and tap the back arrow or something else to simply go into that artists folder ?
    My 3 series BMW was so good for all the infotainment. Super easy to use and well thought out for use whilst driving. Even had the song queue in the Heads Up Display, and could choose a song from there, never having to look at the infotainment screen for a simple song change from the same album.

In the D5 i find myself looking at the screen for lengths of time trying to find the artist and album i'm looking for.
    And that's if the system doesn't just send me back to the top of the Artist list even though i was in an album's folder. Censored Evil or Very Mad

I have not had any software update since taking delivery in September. Apparently we do not get the same frequency of updates as the UK does.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Its still a pain in the UK and my D5 has the latest update!

I've got a large USB permanently plugged in, mainly containing movies for the kids, but also with a few hundred songs too, however I must admit because of the time it takes to find the song I want, I usually use my iPhone, apple music and a bluetooth audio connection! So much easier and faster!

I did experiment with the voice control and managed to get it to accept and play songs based on saying their title, but thats hit and miss!

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Can't you just rename the files on the USB so that your most popular content is at the top e.g rename 'W' to '001 W' or 'aaa W' ? Smile
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

DG wrote:
    Can't you just rename the files on the USB so that your most popular content is at the top e.g rename 'W' to '001 W' or 'aaa W' ? Smile

I don't have most popular content, it changes weekly, sometimes daily.
    If i feel like listening to an artist i don't want to have to think, "did i rename it with a number or not ?". To then try and find it. Wink

I have a good 30-40 artists on my 256gb stick. And i add to it at least once a month.

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

The only info available is what is in the manual tbh

Quote:
    Portable media includes Media Library (internal storage), CD, iPods, iPads, iPhones, USB mass storage, HDMI, MHL and Bluetooth® wireless technology devices.

Queue: Opens the current queue of tracks selected from the portable media devices. To add a track, album, artist, or genre to the queue, touch and hold the respective item at any time. A pop-up list gives further instructions.

NOTES
    Selecting a track, album, artist, or genre not currently in the queue to play, causes the current queue to be erased.

Find: Touch to select the artist, album, or song icon to display results in alphabetical order. Select the more like this icon to display a list of further available options: Genres, Videos, Folder Browse, etc.

Select Folder Browse to view the contents of the connected device, which are displayed as dictated by the file structure.

Select a file to start playback. Select a folder or sub-folder to view the contents.

To return to the MEDIA LIBRARY screen, touch the return icon.

Source: Displays all media sources. The list of media devices is dynamically populated, based on whether the devices are connected.

NOTES
    Sound quality and volume levels available from connected media devices may vary widely.

Track information display: Touch the displayed text to view a list of tracks in the album. Touch again to return to the current track information display.

NOTES
    Only connected devices that support ID3 tags display the information.

NOTES
    The instrument panel also displays the track information.

Interactive time progress bar: Touch or drag to move forward or backward through the current track.

NOTES
    Only connected devices that support the interactive time progress bar have this function.

Album image display: Touch to view the list of tracks on the album, the queue list, or information for the current track. Touch again to revert back to the previous view, or press the return icon.

NOTES
    Album artwork is displayed if the media is recognised by Gracenote®. If the album artwork is not recognised, a generic image is displayed.

Media library shortcut: Touch to view the MEDIA LIBRARY screen.

Skip or scan forward:

Touch and release to skip forward to the next track.

Touch and hold to scan forward through the current track. Playback resumes, when released.

Swipe the touchscreen to the left to skip to the next track.

Pause or play: Select to pause playback. Select again to resume playback.

Skip or scan backward:

Touch and release to skip back to the previous track.

Touch and hold to scan backward through the current track. Playback resumes, when released.

Swipe the touchscreen to the right to skip to the previous track.

More like this icon: Select to automatically generate a smart playlist based on similar tracks. Touch, at any time, to create a new list based on the track currently being played.

NOTES
    Loading time is dependent on content type.

NOTES
    When a CD is selected, the more like this icon is replaced by a rip icon. Notification is displayed when ripping of the CD is complete.

Repeat icon: Touch to repeat the current track continuously. The repeat icon is highlighted when active. Touch again to cancel.

Shuffle icon: Touch to shuffle the current music queue continuously. The shuffle icon is highlighted when active. Touch again to cancel.

Settings icon: Touch to access the SETTINGS pop-up menu. Select All settings. Select Features. Select Media. Select Media Player Settings to manage the importing and deleting of files in the vehicle's memory.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Yup. Apple Music. Access to everything streamed or downloaded over Bluetooth. Use Siri. Works a treat.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Just had a look at the stats and considering i have over 5500 songs from 69 artists on my USB stick, and growing. There's no way i'm buying all that music again from Apple just so i can use Apple music.
    And that would mean playing around with my phone while driving, and that doesn't go down well with the law.

The D5 plays music just fine, it's just not user friendly.

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

How many can you store on the internal media device? I have 3,000 tracks that I imported.

Can you not do the same?
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Is a subscription. No need to buy anything. The whole Apple Music catalogue is available to stream or download. Just saying that’s what I do. Use Siri ‘play Led Zeppelin’. You can also navigate the music with InControl. No need to touch the phone.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Likewise, works great with Google Play Music and Android, and the quality is way better than I used to get on my iPod. I used to not be that impressed with the Meridian 850W system, but now I wonder how great it would sound if I had CD quality songs...because at 350kbps it sounds light years better.

I've considered trying importing to the car's library with higher-quality audio source files, but I would have to spend hours and hours ripping CD's at the highest quality (1200 kbps), and I'd pretty much always rather be doing something else.

Like driving it.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum