Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Road speed read out on Sat Nav

Today I had the most unusual thing happen to my sat Nav, it usually gives a reading of the permitted speed allowed on the road that I am driving on.
    Driving on an unclassified road where the permitted speed would be 60mph my Sat Nav read out 97.
    Dropping down on to a 30mph road it read 42 then dropping on to a 20mph road it read 32.
    I stopped and switched the engine off for a while thinking it might re-set itself but no, it still played havoc with the read out !!!
    Anybody else had similar problems and if so what was the answer.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

I did wonder if it was just a case of too much thumb on the wrong button but having spoken to two LR dealers neither could give me any idea and wants the vehicle in for inspection.
    Neither could look at it until the second week in July so they are all busy.
    One has offered a 'two hour' inspection next week with a view to having a quick look and then booking it in if necessary at a later date if it cannot be resolved within the 'two hour' inspection.
    So, next week fingers crossed wish me luck.
    Oh just thought of something else too. When scrolling through the in car drop down info menu it states that I am due a service in 6000 miles, that isn't true as it was bought new in February so maybe something else they can look at.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Does it display the correct speed limit once back on main roads ?

I turned off Traffic Sign Recognition as it was sometimes displaying the wrong speed and i don't really need it.
    I would be on the motorway with a speed limit of 100 km/h and drive by an exit that has a posted sign saying 50 km/h and the system would see that as the new speed limit.
    If i remember correctly it displays a flashing speed sign in the Head Up Display and that was annoying.

On a side not. I love driving in the UK, for a few reasons, but i think in the UK you are meant to know the legal speed limit for each type of road. Dual carriageway and motorway is 70 mph etc.
    I may be wrong but if memory serves me well, from my driving there i seldom saw any speed limit signs, other than when you approach a speed camera or road works, then there are a few.

Here, we have a sign after each motorway entrance, after almost every major street crossings, on smaller streets too. Although once you enter a neighborhood of a big city like Montreal, there's a big sign that says 30 km/h limit on the whole territory unless indicated otherwise.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Did something change to display the speed in km/h instead of mph?

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Nothing changed when playing with the mph/kph button
    .I have roads that are 30, 60 or 70mph restricted and the Sat Nav does not read any of them correctly.
    The most popular one is 97mph, around the houses where the speed restriction is 20 mph the sat nav shows 42mph.
    There is no pattern to what it shows.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Here is an idiot posting, well maybe maybe not Sad
    I have had trouble with my sat nav and telephoned several LR garages and neither could help or suggest anything over the telephone, so a visit to a garage was the only option.
    All LR garages are very busy so it would seem all LR's are causing more problems than normal this time of year !!
    However, my son the computer literate part of my family, have proved, once again, how PC illiterate I am Sad
    He looked at my manual, scratched his head, he has no hair ! frowned and put it away.
    He then sat in the vehicle for ten minutes or so, started it up and drove it forward onto the road in front of the house, a 30mph road, came back in, sat down, didn't say a word, drank a cup of coffee and then said " about time you joined the modern world Dad"
    It turned out it was a case of Button Pressing but not using thumbs !!!!
    He did say that he couldn't understand why I had the problem in the first place because all he did was go from MPH to KPH with the buttons and back a couple of times and left it as it was when he got in !
    So what do you make of that ??
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Obviously he is an IT expert.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

I've had second thoughts, perhaps my son is more crafty than clever.
    He played with it the other day so perhaps he knew what he did last time and was keeping quiet and has now corrected it.
    The only thing that I can't understand tho is, why did the so called road speed recognition flag up speeds of 97, 48, 42, 32 etc as far as my worldly travelling experience tells me there are no roads with such speed signs/limits - are there ?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Are there any 60, 30, 25 and 20 mph speed signs? I'm not sure about the 25 but I have seen the others.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Oh yes Ron, since early this morning I have driven from here 20mph onto a 30mph then a 40mph and then a 50mph and then a 60 mph and lastly a dual carriageway divided by a reservation so 70mph road and all the indications on my Sat Nav read correctly.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

EMcC wrote:
    All LR garages are very busy so it would seem all LR's are causing more problems than normal this time of year!

Or Land Rover have sold more vehicles than ever before and the dealers are struggling to cope... 🤔

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

EMcC wrote:
    Oh yes Ron, since early this morning I have driven from here 20mph onto a 30mph then a 40mph and then a 50mph and then a 60 mph and lastly a dual carriageway divided by a reservation so 70mph road and all the indications on my Sat Nav read correctly.

Thumbs Up

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

DiscoStu wrote:
    EMcC wrote:
    All LR garages are very busy so it would seem all LR's are causing more problems than normal this time of year!

Or Land Rover have sold more vehicles than ever before and the dealers are struggling to cope... 🤔

The sales side of LR vehicles don't get involved in the Garage service repair side of things do they ?
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think you’ll find that if JLR sell more vehicles then the Dealers have to service more vehicles

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

If each sold vehicle takes a day to PDI it then the three LR dealers in my area have each sold or to be sold, on the assumption that the servicing side of things only work five days a week, something like thirty vehicles each over the next six weeks,
    I didn't think that many new vehicles were being sold.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum