Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• cji73
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Yulong White

A Year Old Today!

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum but not to Discoverys. I've had a 3, three 4's and now a 5. Below are pictures of me collecting my car a year ago today! This is a 3.0L TD6 HSE Luxury Yulong White, Grey roof and Black Roof rails. 21" style 5025 Satin. I've also added photos of the car today after 40,000kms or 25,000 miles.

Optional Extras I added and my views after a year with the vehicle (Thought it might help new buyers?!):

Heads Up Display: I find my eyes naturally go to the usual dials. In sunlight with polorized glasses you can't see it!! I live in South Africa so this is a problem!) Laughing Apparently I hear the 2018/2019 spec models will have more colours.

Dynamic Pack 2: I love the detailing such as the black side vents, black accents on the front fake air intakes etc.

Tyre Pressure Monitoring: I do a lot of gravel and off road driving so this is a must. In my Discovery 4 I had a flat on a gravel road and didn't realise for a large distance and Censored a rim badly.

Sunroof: Love the wind in my ever decreasing hairline!! Laughing

Intelligent Seat Fold: Took me an absolute age to get used to this. I still think I could do it quicker than the car! I find the electric switch on the second row of seats takes an age to tilt before you can move the seat forward so they can get into the third row. Also in my mind it looks like a smaller gap to get into than the Discovery 4?!

Activity Key: I surf so it is a bonus!

In-control Apps: Ok so I can start my car from my phone and fold the seats. In reality do I do this. No! Apps are about 10 and bloody useless in my mind. Why don't they link Waze or Google Maps, Apple Music or Deezer. How awesome would this be if they linked seemlessly to the car; oh and of course up to my Heads Up Display !) So in reality would I select this again as it is now. NO!

WIFI: Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Even in a high signal area! When it works it's awesome. keeps the kids quiet Laughing

Here are some pictures of the car today on it's birthday. I have added my final views afterwards.

My Wrap Up:

I bloody love this car! I was worried as I had one of the first in South Africa and it was a big change from the Discovery 4 which I loved! The road handling is in a different league to the 4, The gravel road handling is just epic. As you can see I do a lot of driving in a year and I never get bored of driving it. Also the comfort and ease of driving allows me to do a 7hr drive, quite a common occurance in Africa, and get out and feel totally fine. It has presence on the road. It's off road capabilities astound me!

My only thing......and this is personal.....I think it is a bit flash?! I run a business where I felt fine driving a Discovery 4 as it was more understated. This now is a head turner and with it goes the connection to a flash Harry Laughing So personally I await with eager anticipation for the new Defender or what ever they are going to call it! I am thinking it will be more functional looking and less flashy but as I am writing this I am thinking......would I really move away from this awesome car!!??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Craigp
    England 

Good write up thanks for sharing. Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

+ 1 Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Paramike
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

+2 Thumbs Up
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

+3 Thumbs Up

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • yankeefr78
    France 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

+4 😊👍

You are using low profil tyres 40 or 45 (21 or 22) if I’m not mistaking. Is that still as comfortable as 20’ with 55 profil
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Really interesting to read - thank you for posting. Awaiting mine in Sept/Oct!!!
  • cji73
    South Africa 

Thanks 747_JK!! Exciting times! What spec, colour did you decide on?
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

How many oil changes have you had to do in the time you have had it?
  • cji73
    South Africa 

Luckily only the ones due at services. WHy have you had issues?
  • Labbix

Most of us had to do a service/oil change at 5000 km or earlier, and it seems like we have to go in every next 5000km as well... not good when you expected 26000km or so. From an expected yearly service, it’s now a 3 months interval or so, which doesn’t only cause lots of time loss, but frustrations as well.

Regarding the activity key, do you use it a lot and is it always faultless? As mine once blocked the main key from starting the car, not fine when you are abroad with 3 small kids.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

cji73 wrote:

I read somewhere that the Thai market has D5 without DPF, which I believe makes then EURO 4 compliant. What are the requirements in SA and does your car have a DPF ?

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • cji73
    South Africa 

Labbix wrote:
    Most of us had to do a service/oil change at 5000 km or earlier, and it seems like we have to go in every next 5000km as well... not good when you expected 26000km or so. From an expected yearly service, it’s now a 3 months interval or so, which doesn’t only cause lots of time loss, but frustrations as well.

Regarding the activity key, do you use it a lot and is it always faultless? As mine once blocked the main key from starting the car, not fine when you are abroad with 3 small kids.

That service interval would kill me! Seems ridiculous. Have Land Rover told you why this is occuring?

I use the activity key a couple of times a month. I must say it makes me nervous as sometimes it works well and other times it takes a few go's!! Hopefully you only had the one incident when it blocked your key?
  • cji73
    South Africa 

IndusD4 wrote:
    cji73 wrote:

I read somewhere that the Thai market has D5 without DPF, which I believe makes then EURO 4 compliant. What are the requirements in SA and does your car have a DPF ?

Ron

SA market still has the DPF installed. However I always use the high end Diesel. Not sure if this makes a difference?

I use 50ppm Diesel mostly. (Diesel 50 PPM is a highly refined, middle distillate, hydrocarbon fuel; and it contains less than 0.005% sulphur by mass. These extremely low sulphur levels enable the diesel to be compatible with emission control devices such as catalytic converters and diesel particulate traps.)

I'm sure you have the same Diesel available in Aus?
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Re: A Year Old Today!

cji73 wrote:
    Apparently I hear the 2018/2019 spec models will have more colours.

The HUD is much better than the old white one now, fully coloured and much easier to read. I'll check with my polarised sunglasses later today - I've only had it since March, and living in the UK I've not had the opportunity to use them yet.... Actually, I have worn them, so I guess the HUD works with them! I'll confirm later though.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum