Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I won’t, the oil dilution problem doesn’t exist in a 2lt as it does with a 3lt. Balancer shafts isnt a problem associated with it either. I am happy, but I understand you probably regret the purchase of your 3lt, but I am sure your one will be fine, chin up. Thumbs Up
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

That's actually not correct buddy. Smile

I own a 2.0L Ingenium Diesel (which is in my DS). So I did a lot of reading (and oil testing later).
    There is a good chance for almost every 2.0L Diesel Ingenium build so far to develope problems with it's balance shafts (up to VIN 039409 in Disco 5). Look up Topix N128 for details (or see the image attached).

As to the oil dilution issue: I know the D5 Ingenium does not suffer from this. And for me it's not an issue either. Because my daily driving style allows for complete regeneration cycles. Smile My DS proofs it, so I had no worries to take the 3.0L diesel.
    But that's not what me mentioning the oil analysis was about. The Ingeniums (again all of them!) have a significantly higher amount of wear metal in their engine oil. With significantly higher I am talking about an average of 224 ppm where other diesel engines have an average of 43 ppm.

And that's actually the reason I chose the Lion over the Ingenium when getting my D5. Wink And I am very happy with that decision. Wink

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I know it was a big problem on the DS ...particularly the 180 version. Thankfully my March '18 vehicle is well out of that VIN range (20k plus over in fact) ...but thanks for your concern Very Happy
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Hey DG,

That is very good for you in terms of balance shaft whining. But what's with the excessive engine wear?

Others might be well within the VIN range, so it still is an issue you guys should be aware of when talking about both engines (2.0 & 3.0 L diesel).

Greets,
    Hauser

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

^+1 DG Thumbs Up
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Hey Hauser .... All smiles from me ....even if the engine disintegrates into a molten river of fire on the M25 Very Happy

I have a 3 year warranty after which I will hand them my motor back to them with whatever potential, possible, maybe issues for someone else to worry about. Laughing
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Again, very good or even perfect. Smile

But others might want to keep their car and therefore don't have the luxury of ignorance. Neutral

• DG
    United Kingdom 

Very true and of course I sympathise

....do we know how many Disco 5 owners have been affected by this problem? ..not seen any reports here Confused
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

None of its ignorance, most here know of the issues surrounding the engines, be it the 2lt or 3lt. I’ve had other LR products that have been susptable to oil dilution etc, but the present 2lt vehicle isn’t effected. However, the jury is still out on the 3lt one to the degree I wouldn’t touch it personally, but hey, we are all different and you will have made your choice based on what you read as I did. Thumbs Up
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Probably because none of them got their oil testet yet. Wink

Over at the Disco Sport Forum, every single tested engine has shown this issue. Doesn't matter if 150/180/240 HP.

Greets,
    Hauser

P.s. Getting another oil sample of my DS tested next week. Fingers crossed!

• Hauser
    Germany 

Dangerdave wrote:
    None of its ignorance, most here know of the issues surrounding the engines, be it the 2lt or 3lt. I’ve had other LR products that have been susptable to oil dilution etc, but the present 2lt vehicle isn’t effected. However, the jury is still out on the 3lt one to the degree I wouldn’t touch it personally, but hey, we are all different and you will have made your choice based on what you read as I did. Thumbs Up

Hi Dave,

Again, I am not talking about the oil dilution issue. I know it's potentially there for the 3.0 L diesel, because of the loose coupled DPF. And on the other hand not there for the 2.0 L because of the close coupled DPF. BUT that issue is linked to the driving style of the owner. For me, it's just not there. I tested my oil and did not have an extra oil change. So I don't need to worry, about it. Others might be and should be aware of this issue. But as I said, it's not what I was talking about and I didn't bring it up.

What I am talking about is the driving shafts and engine wear issues, as described above.
    The "luxury of ignorance" was aimed at DG, because he really is in a position where he simply can ignore what's happening to his engine. (I admit, it was a bit provoking, but it still is true. It is a "luxury" position to be in, when you just can ignore what's potentially going on. )

One more thing: Everything we all have said here can be wrong for the new MY19 engines. They have been reworked quite a bit. For example I don't know the locations of the DPF in those engines yet.

Greets,
    Hauser

Last edited by Hauser on 11th Sep 2018 8:27 pm. Edited 3 times in total

• DG
    United Kingdom 

Oil tested for what dilution ? or balancer shaft wear?

Not heard of a 2.0 D5 with either yet ...it's been out for sometime now Confused
  • Hauser
    Germany 

None of the above.

Excessive engine wear.

• DG
    United Kingdom 

Has anyone with a 2.0 D5 reported engine wear ? Confused Not seen any myself ...although I appreciate that due to thermodynamic entropy ...all engines will eventually wear out ...pretty much like everything in the universe Very Happy
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Well as I said, peobabably no one did an oil test yet. Smile Anyway, it's the same engines. So why wouldn't they be effected when working within a D5?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum