Yes, have had mine over a year, no oil dilution 9%/5
    Yes, had mine 6 months ish, no oil dilution 5%/3
    No, I have oil dilution / early service issue 85%/46
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

ForlornMTL wrote:
    747_JK wrote:
    Wow - this page in particular does not fill me with confidence about collecting my D5 later this month. Big Cry

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Of the nearly 600 views of this thread, so far, only 24 people have voted in the poll. (Ok, every time i go to this thread i add a view, but i doubt the 24 voters have viewed this thread 23 times each).
    Most won't bother to give their experience if it's been positive.
    But if it's been negative, it sort of feels good to be able to tell the world of your woes.

Land Rover sell thousands of vehicles every month, if a majority had an issue, there would be a recall. And you would have hundreds of people on here complaining about it.

JLR buy parts from others to build their vehicles, so they rely on third parties to sell them parts that are to their specs. Some bad ones probably make it through the third partie's quality control, and then some make it through JLR's quality control.
    We are all humans who let some slip by unbeknownst to us even if we are in charge of quality control. And some parts you probably can't tell if the quality is good or not until it's been run in the completely built item, like our D5's. JLR cannot drive every build for hundreds of miles to find faults, that's for the dealers to deal with once you've found that fault for them.
    Just like microsoft release every new windows with faults in it and have us use it and tell them of the faults. That's why we have weekly updates. Luckily we don't have to bring our computers to the dealer for the update.

I'm one of the positive experience D5 owners. I could say, mostly positive as there are ALWAYS things we're not happy about everything we purchase. But all in all it's been great so far.

I spend time on this forum, to get informed and to share my experience with others. I'm no better than anyone else, but most will not bother to share their positive experiences.

Collect your D5, enjoy it and share on here if you can.

So are we to take from that the fact that the Engine infastructure, it's design and the placement of the DPF "An add on in effect" to an already existing power plant, in a bid to meet current air pollution is down to a 3rd party ?

There's no wonder JLR have failed to recognised this as their fault if that is the case.

And In future, maybe it would be a better idea for consumers to buy a chassis from one manufacturer, an engine from another and the suspension from a seperate manufacturer, interior from somewhere else etc, that way when a specific item is faulty the fault could lay with the individual company instead of firewalling itself under the umbrella of a large Organistaion who then refuses to accept a problem by blaming it's supply chain.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I also know personally, 4 D5 3.0 that we have at work have all had early Oil change. My Son's rugby club has at least 8 parents with the 3.0 and last Sunday instead of the conversation being about Rugby on the 1st Sunday of the season, the conversation was about 3.0 Litre oil change?

All had been done early, some not needed doing again and some like mine had needed doing twice in less than 5K.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

I’ve had my TD6 11 months, went back not garage in Jul for service counter reset - everything tracking well from buying in Oct until late May when I suddenly went from 7000 miles to service down to service reqd over around 1000 miles. Had counter reset, showed 4,000 miles to service and has tracked on a 1 to 1 basis with my mileage ever since. Car will be serviced at around 11k (service indicator will show about 1k to go) in 2 weeks time as we’ve got a long road trip from Scotland to Holland and back in early Oct. No other real gremlins to worry about except the memory seat buttons in th e drivers door have slipped back and down into the door by about 10mm leaving a clear gap. Will push for the ICTP phase 4 upgrade at service as well - planning to use a new dealer - anyone got any feedback on.Parks of Ayr.
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Silly question time.... where do I find the "miles to next service" display?

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Ignition on
    Engine off
    Menu
    Vehicle information will bring it up
  • GP1200
    Australia 

In regards to the oil dilution issues, I had my service light come on at 5000km, ( was just a reset only )
    It come on again at just under 10,000km, it needed a oil change and filter that time. I was a little pro-active and took a oil sample for testing, it came back with a lot of metal ( this could be from just running in, so not too concerned yet and the oil dilution was at 3.8%.

So what I did learn that a normal oil sample test does not acutely measure oil dilution, it had to be resent to another lab or testing for further testing for oil dilution.

I think at 3.8% dilution it’s not as bad as the magical 6% that they change at. As the vehicle is not a oil sampling machine, it’s will be doing a maths calculation which is obviously on the side of caution ( I hope ! )

So not sure where to from here, but maybe further testing in another month or so to see if the metal level has dropped and the dilution is at a safe level, ( @ around 16,000 km )

Yep I’m a little peeved, but will stay calm until I have a baseline of tests to work from.

Jack
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Chalkys HSE wrote:

And In future, maybe it would be a better idea for consumers to buy a chassis from one manufacturer, an engine from another and the suspension from a seperate manufacturer, interior from somewhere else etc, that way when a specific item is faulty the fault could lay with the individual company instead of firewalling itself under the umbrella of a large Organistaion who then refuses to accept a problem by blaming it's supply chain.

Every automaker buys parts from parts suppliers - there isn't a single automaker in the world that builds and assembles every single thing in-house. Sometimes, as with Bosch and engine management computers, the manufacturer supplies the specification that the parts suppliers must meet, and the parts supplier designs and builds to that specification. In other cases, the automaker solicits bids for "off the shelf" products and then incorporates the selected item into their design.

Every one also employs supply chain management practices in the event some supplier of a niche but critical product goes out of business - they will contract with two or three niche suppliers and have order quantities from each one. Fasteners and wiring harnesses/looms are a good example, but there are many others.

I offered long ago that the problem we are seeing could be down to one vendor's part or a combination of parts from different vendors. Time will tell.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Sw1gs wrote:
    I’ve had my TD6 11 months, went back not garage in Jul for service counter reset - everything tracking well from buying in Oct until late May when I suddenly went from 7000 miles to service down to service reqd over around 1000 miles. Had counter reset, showed 4,000 miles to service and has tracked on a 1 to 1 basis with my mileage ever since. Car will be serviced at around 11k (service indicator will show about 1k to go) in 2 weeks time as we’ve got a long road trip from Scotland to Holland and back in early Oct. No other real gremlins to worry about except the memory seat buttons in th e drivers door have slipped back and down into the door by about 10mm leaving a clear gap. Will push for the ICTP phase 4 upgrade at service as well - planning to use a new dealer - anyone got any feedback on.Parks of Ayr.

Parks of Ayr, yes, the only dealer for miles around me. Bought 7 Disco's from them over the years. Great sales team, ok for standard service. Anything complicated seems to flummox them. My D4 Stop/Start gave up and after 3 visits where they basically polished the headlights I fixed it myself. Don't get them to fit after market accessories, they give that job to the guy/gal who normally sweeps the floor! D4 mudflaps squint, door rubbing strips falling off and not straight. Towbar electrics not coded to vehicle etc.

With my latest D5 I got everything I needed from the factory and fitted the mudflaps and rubbing strips myself as I did with all my previous Disco's apart from the last D4.

Nice showroom, good waiting area/reception. They do keep you up to date with the progress of the service and if you do have an issue with the service side a strong word with the service manager usually sorts things out. Years ago they really did come up trumps when the timing belt of my TDi300 broke and took out some rockers out of guarantee - no quibble and simply billed it all to Landrover.

So, mixed review. 5 stars for Sales, a qualified 3.5 for Service.

Back on Topic - can't tell if I have Oil Dilution yet. Only done 430 miles in it. Started at 2 miles indicating 15000 to Oil service. Now says 14600 to Oil service. I've gained 30 miles! Laughing

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Pcheaven wrote:
    Ignition on
    Engine off
    Menu
    Vehicle information will bring it up

Thanks

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I wouldn’t trust Parks of Ayr. I purchased two cars from them. The first one was great, nice friendly people. Everything went without a hitch. Consequently, I dealt with them again.

The entire sales team had changed, it was unfriendly and unwelcoming. They supplied a new car with faults that should have been picked up. They fitted a tow bar and scrapped the rear bumper. What trouble I had with them, they even suggested I did it. After 5 months of pain having given them two chances to repair the vehicle, I eventually managed to reject the car having had to consult a Solicitor and contact the board of directors. I wouldn’t deal with them ever again and I’d avoid them like the plague, they were a complete nightmare.
  • Labbix

Oil service from >4000 km to 0 km in 500 km pure highway, see pics. And car has only done 4000 km in total. What to think about this...

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Well, I think you should select this option and click on "Submit":

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Labbix

Thumbs Up
  • scancian
    Spain 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Mine has two oil services done. One at 7.100km at the second one at 16.000km so more or less I have to change it every 8.000km. Since the last change I have done three motorway trips of 750 km each and now with 18.582km and the next oil service it’s marked at 17.650 km and going down. So more or less, in my case for each 1.000 Km I loose circa 3.000 km of oil life…
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

1 for 3 miles /km seems the norm for vehicles with the oil dilution issue
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum