Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Successful connect after truck sat for awhile.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I have had lots of trouble connecting CarPlay recently. Following reading the symptoms that 18d addresses I have stopped using remote start- Works every time now. The car had also been stood for three days whilst away on business.

Jon
  • ChrisPBlackburn
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Montalcino Red

winger wrote:
    Smartphone Pack Features

All Smartphones
    * Improved connectivity of USB module phones.
    * Improved functionality when 2 phones are connected at the same time.

Android Auto
    * Improved GPS connection when using a navigation app from customer's phone.[/list]

Apple CarPlay
    * If customer disconnects a session for the device the touchscreen will no longer freeze on the CarPlay screen.
    * A customer will no longer need to press the CarPlay tile twice to get to the CarPlay screen.
    * Customers using CarPlay will now see the correct media artwork where available.
    * Customers will be able to launch CarPlay or InControl Apps (ICA) in the same ignition cycle after starting vehicle using remote engine start.
    * CarPlay will no longer be deactivated after unmuting audio on the vehicle.

(Android phones only)
    * InControl Apps (ICA)
    ICA screen will no longer freeze or flicker for apps like spotify, when connected using android phones

Plus a host of other non-Smartphone pack changes. Also, the installed vehicle software version will now be stored with other vehicle details in TOPIx - together with a notation as to the latest version available, making it easy to see if an update is available/relevant.

what's the process for installing the update???
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Head to your dealer.....
  • ChrisPBlackburn
    United Kingdom 

Seems ludicrous that it can't be done by connecting my Disco to the wifi, I'm questioning what use the wifi connection feature actually serves!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I presume you mean the 3G/4G connection between the car and JLR?

Anyway, do you really want your electronics updated in an uncontrolled way? Seems like a good way to brick the car if a data link goes down at a critical point.
  • ChrisPBlackburn
    United Kingdom 

No I mean the WiFi function. It’s possible to connect your car to your home WiFi for instance. I’d update my phone in that way so why not an infotainment system.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Because it is Land Rover! The process takes several hours and can fail and then needs repeating.

We are a long way from in car electronic being foolproof and being ready to open up to users I feel.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Well, Tesla has figured it out - I think they've only had one real issue where a few cars were "bricked" and that was over a year ago.

It works for smartphones and Chromebooks...I just don't understand why that same hardware and software architecture hasn't been replicated for auto infotainment systems. It's not like they're that special. There's even a guy on another forum who built his 7" tablet into his dash.

Seems to me to be a market opportunity....
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Agreed although I think we all take the programming on mobile phones and P.C's a bit for granted.
    Most of the programming of operating systems is done by really talented people.
    Add to that they really hammer the testing prior to release.
    These people are either in short supply in Solihull, or maybe JLR aren't prepared to pay proper money, or it could be that they don't allow them reasonable time to test before release?

It seems strange that even after many versions they still seem to have more bugs than a rain Forest Rolling with laughter

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

winger wrote:
    There's a new ICT software version available: S18D_18.47.5-269316

Do you have the TSB number for this as I can't seem to find it on ToPIX. Thanks

EDIT: Its OK I found it was an SRN not TSB. Interestingly the notes are available to read without a paid sub Smile

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/s...d=G2349136

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • mse
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

That’s old, cars just updated itself to SD18_18.47.5-269303 at 5mb I’ll see in the morning what it’s done, probably nothing
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Dodlestonian wrote:
    Agreed although I think we all take the programming on mobile phones and P.C's a bit for granted.
    Most of the programming of operating systems is done by really talented people.
    Add to that they really hammer the testing prior to release.
    These people are either in short supply in Solihull, or maybe JLR aren't prepared to pay proper money, or it could be that they don't allow them reasonable time to test before release?

It seems strange that even after many versions they still seem to have more bugs than a rain Forest Rolling with laughter

Nah, source it from Samsung or HTC or someone who knows how to build that stuff - it's just packaging at that point and that can be easily specified. JLR can develop apps like 4x4i and climate control and all the other stuff that goes in a head unit control - the APIs are probably easier to handle than Bosch MySpin, who sources ICTP. Hell, Kenwood or Pioneer or Alpine could probably do the packaging and be the supplier - they would be a better choice than Bosch - their aftermarket head units are amazing.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

mse wrote:
    That’s old, cars just updated itself to SD18_18.47.5-269303 at 5mb I’ll see in the morning what it’s done, probably nothing

Old or odd?

The SRN is dated 12/12/2018 Confused

Didn’t know the software update was active now. Will have to check...

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Says no update available. Guess OTA is not enabled still.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum