Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Gary
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Flat Battery

Does anybody have problems with battery going flat after being parked for 10 days on airport car park really annoying as had to call out assistance
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

Do you have dash cameras?
  • Labbix

Most probably the tracker...
  • Gary
    United Kingdom 

Flat Battery

Yes I have Think Aware F770 dash cam front and back but was told it goes to sleep when engine turned off
  • Gary
    United Kingdom 

Flat; Battery

hi never thought of tracker bur also car has in control pro fit could that be it as well
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I'm even more convinced now to keep a jump starter battery in the car, something like this.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Re: Flat; Battery

Gary wrote:
    hi never thought of tracker bur also car has in control pro fit could that be it as well

Shouldn't be that as the motor goes into a very deep sleep 'low power' mode after 96 hours....I've been away for more than 10 days and it was fine Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

If the car is garaged and the tracker cannot get a satellite to lock onto, it drains the battery, as constantly scanning. This has happened to my Subaru several times if am away for 2 weeks, when cars garaged it struggles to turn over. I was away for 3 weeks once, and car was totally dead. The recovery guy told me this. It was the last thing I expected as I thought the tracker was only consuming minimal power. Obviously not! So now if am away, the Mrs alternates the cars after a few days to stop it happening again. Mind you the D5 has not been stuck in the garage for 2 weeks yet, so will be interesting when we are away for our 2 week break in October. I have purchased a solar panel with crocodile clips which connects to the battery, trickle charging it and seems to do the trick for my car.

With regards to the dash cams I think the majority will turn off, once the cars switched off. That is unless you have it recording whilst car is switched off and fitted the module that shuts it off if the voltage drops below 12v or say after 3 hours, whatever comes first. I went down this route to prevent the battery going flat and its working fine.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

It doesn't work like that ...it won't activate gps until unauthorised movement of over 200m is detected Smile
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well it seems that different trackers operate differently but all need to lock onto a 📡.

I know in my car that is the issue as like the guy said if it doesn't lock onto a satellite, it wont go into sleep mode, and it will continue scanning the airways until it locks on, or the battery gives up. I have a factory fitted RAC Trackster + in mine.

Not sure about the brand of tracker the D5 has or how it works, as never had a tracker on the D4.

Interesting info tho, thanks Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

To clarify, I'm talking about LR Secure, not a 3rd party tracking unit ...but I cant see how they would instruct the GPS to be active permanently.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well all the cars journeys are logged when looking into the LR control app so I assumed the tracker is always on, so too speak?

I think there is 2 tracker types in the D5 from memory. A basic one and a more advanced one which is subscription based which we ordered.

Even when car was in the LR garage, the tracker activated, and I got the text saying cars possibly being stolen, as I forgot to put the car in service mode I think it's called which temporarily disables it. Has to be set daily as it reverts back on automatically after 9 hours I think.

Car was in the workshop as I checked on the LR remote app.

Not sure if it has the anti jacking feature though as if the wheels are off the ground it activates if the car is up on a ramp etc?

• DG
    United Kingdom 

'Secure' is the only official LR tracking service I know of ....tracking with that is only 'on' when the motor is active and\ or moving.

...and yes you need to put it into 'service mode' if the battery is due to be disconnected or 'transport mode' if for example you are on a ferry ..that disables the motion sensor.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks for the clarification Thumbs Up

• Labbix

My battery runs flat very quick as well when in the garage, but got a tracker from the insurance company, no idea which make
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum