Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

And she's here... My MY2019 D5 HSE

Picked her up yesterday afternoon from the ever helpful Rob @ Harwoods Croydon. A super guy to deal with, and that's my third Disco from him in 8 years.

First impressions...
      It feels wider to drive than the D4, even though I know it's actually a bit narrower.
      Huge range of adjustment from the drivers seat and MUCH more leg room than in a D4. I'm 6ft 3" and found the D4 pretty snug - this is a big improvement, I think.
      I'm amazed at how much tech is built into the car - the full digital dash is incredible, and I love it to pieces - it really makes the car.
      Only done 70 miles in 24 hrs but the engine seems silky smooth and much quieter than in the D4. Only touched the peddle lightly but seems to have a lot of 'go' and I look forward to having some fun once she's run-in.
      Love the panoramic roofs.
      Choosing a black headlining was the right decision. I love black with black, feared it might be too dark, but it's absolutely not. It's perfect.
      Amazing amount of storage in the front of the cabin. Not put all my 'stuff' into the car yet, so will reserve judgement on how much stuff I can get hidden away in the back until tomorrow.
      Quite like the rear wiper - thought weird how it wipes one way, then stops, and goes back into it's hidden positions when it wipes again a few seconds later. Guess it'll cut the need for replacement blades by 50%!
      Steering wheel a lot thinner and I wasn't keen to start with, but getting used to it - the heating is very effective. Gets so hot (lovely!).
      The InControl apps... was so surprised. Had no idea I would get the remote heating option for free, I thought that was a premium option I didn't fork out for, so well chuffed. I will use that virtually every day!
      Like the trim colour I chose - hadn't fancied the wood options, and what we chose is very subtle and fits in well with the car.
      Worried the black shiny trim around the gear knob etc will scratch easily!
      Got the kids' seats to fit in the 2nd row without issues (phew - the posts on here had worried me!).
      Back doesn't look as bad as I thought it would - insisted they fit the thin rear plate (makes a difference, Gerry was right) - and no Euro badge to keep that additional blue colour off the back.
      Disappointed to see the car came on Goodyear tyres. I do some work for another tyre OEM so they'll be swapped for that brand once these have worn out, but somehow Goodyear F1 AT tyres don't seem as rugged as the Pirelli Scorpions I thought LR always fitted on Discos.
      Can't believe LR have halved the size of the drivers floormat and still charge what they do for them as OE. S'pose the material has gone into the second row ones instead?!
      'Material on the door armrests - can see keeping it clear might be tricky over the months/years. Doesn't look as 'wipe clean' as the D4.
      No 500MB per month sim card supplied by LR - the dealer says they've not had any sent to them for the MY2019 vehicles which they should have done. They said they'd chase it up and send it when it arrived. But I just got 12GB on Amazon instead, to get me started...
      And lastly, just amazed at how much tech is in that infotainment screen. It's gonna take me an age to master (and I'm pretty IT savvy). Staggering, but so so so so much to go wrong too!

Things I haven't worked out yet (need to sit and read the manual... but amongst many many things...):
      How to open the boot with my foot... where do you wave it?
      Why there aren't daytime running lights on all the time anymore?
      Where does the AdBlue go? And do they really expect you to take it to the dealer to refill... one of the leaflets said it's best to do that... surely, surely not! It's on every garage forecourt!
      Where do I check oil dilution?!
      How all the active safety features work... shouldn't it steer itself back into a lane if you wonder, so far it just seems to flash red on the screen and shake the wheel a little...

Overall, I had reservations over this car and wasn't 100% sure when I ordered it. But on first impressions, so long as she proves reliable, I think I'll be very happy. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to have such a nice motor on the driveway.

Oh, and the kids (4 and 2) tell me they LOVE it. So that's good too! Now just need to get her up to the Outer Hebrides on a proper holiday trip in 2019!

• Labbix

Hi, brilliant you love the car!

One question though, which child seat do you use for the 4 year old, as all the child seats we have here for the taller kids need the cars head rest to be taken out to be able to place the child seat correctly (so the child’s head doesn’t come higher than the top of her/his seat).
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Recaro Monza Nova 2 with Isofix... Switched from the D4 and straight into the second row of the D5 without an issue so far...

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Labbix

Ok, just saw it’s a recaro, but can you actually lift the child seat head rest without the cars head rest pressing the child seat forward and leaving a big space between the car seat and the child seat?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Your car looks fantastic, enjoy it!

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

It's a good point and to be fair, we haven't got to the stage of needing to raise it yet. I'll have a play in the morning and see if we can and let you know.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Labbix

This is what I have:

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Re: And she's here... My MY2019 D5 HSE

747_JK wrote:

Things I haven't worked out yet (need to sit and read the manual... but amongst many many things...):
      How to open the boot with my foot... where do you wave it?
      Why there aren't daytime running lights on all the time anymore?
      Where does the AdBlue go? And do they really expect you to take it to the dealer to refill... one of the leaflets said it's best to do that... surely, surely not! It's on every garage forecourt!
      Where do I check oil dilution?!
      How all the active safety features work... shouldn't it steer itself back into a lane if you wonder, so far it just seems to flash red on the screen and shake the wheel a little...

Opening the boot is an art form....you need to be off to the side. I can get it to work about 50% of the time. My dog has a 100% success rate whenever she walks past. Rolling Eyes

DRLs should be on all the time

AdBlue filler cap is under the bonnet on the passenger side wing. You can DIY fill but don't over fill - apparently if you do, the level sensor fails and tells the car its empty then you can't start it until the AdBlue tank is drained.

With ignition on and engine NOT running, the service menu is accessible from the steering wheel buttons. It will tell you distance to next service and distance to AdBlue top-up. It doesn't tell you oil dilution but the symptom would be a lower than expected distance to next service.

Lane Keep Assist has configurable options from the menu using the steering wheel buttons. You can select just the warning or a nudge from the steering back in to the lane. It uses the cameras to watch the lines on the road and doesn't always recognise them so sometimes it is not working. The dashed lines on the screen turn green to show it is recognising a line to your left or right.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Very Cool Thumbs Up
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

How come I have different front brake calipers?? It's not a great photo - I was trying on some D4 wheels which only just cleared them but these are mine - they seem massive (and black with white writing)

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Not sure I agree with you about the black headlining. I’ve got it and it makes the car dark. Sometime I notice it, sometimes I don’t.

I don’t think the steering wheel is thinner than the D4: but that’s just me.

I also had my reservations about the rear number plate and yes, ive got the bigger plate and it’s Euro. I asked about a thinner one, but i was told a thinner one was against LRs policy! That was Guy Salmon in Stockport. Anyway, can’t say it bothers me tbh.

Hope your joking about the Outer Hebrides! You’ll not get over the border by the time the SNP has finished!
  • yankeefr78
    France 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Looks really fantastic. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Waiting to get hand on mine in Dec with exactly the same configuration (Black, Black, Black) and I have additionally the roof bars in black, but did not take the road dynamics.

A bit disappointing with the tyres - hope I will get the Pirelli one which are 4 seasons tyres.

On one of your pictures, there is an indication of a special coating. Is this a ceramic coating you have ?
    Is it really a plus to protect the painting ? How long does it last ?

D3 HSE 2.7 06MY / D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 13MY
    D5 HSE 3.0 19MY Santorini Black - 20" Style 5011 - Electric sun roof - Rear privacy glass - Dark satin brushed aluminium trim finisher - Ebony headlining - Heated seats & steering wheel - Premium carpet mats - Surround camera system - Black Exterior Pack - Driver Assist Pack
  • Labbix

Ceramic coating comes with layers, the more you put on, the longer it last. On my disco I have put 9 layers, ceramicpro, and than it’s ‘lifelong’ warranty. Personally I like the coating for its scratch & UV protection and the easy cleaning. The water just runs off, doesn’t come cheap though
  • Labbix

To JonM, I like yours, but I got the silver ones as well...
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Thanks JonM - will put that to the test tomorrow and see what I can make work. If I struggle, can I borrow your dog?

Dangerdave - not joking about the Outer Hebs, we go there every year! They can't stop a property owner from getting over the border, surely... But I do admit to going to some lovely big Hebridean beaches a few years ago and writing 'BETTER TOGETHER' in huge writing... When no one was looking Thumbs Up

And the steering wheel is definitely thinner than the D4. If it's not, then I've truly gone crazy. I noticed it immediately on my test drive a few months ago and again on collecting the new car yesterday.

Maybe it's a little dark with the roof blinds closed, but I quite like that. I love the colour black - at the age of four I went for an interview at the local prep school and wasn't offered a place. They'd asked me my fave colour, to which I said 'Black'. They asked me why, to which I answered because my Dad's car is black. They told my parents my answer showed a lack of imagination and that black wasn't a colour, but a shade. And on that basis, they didn't offer me a place. Stupid school, glad I didn't end up there anyway. But all my cars when I've had a choice, have been black, black, black and I always hated the light D4 headlining having had several BMWs with anthracite headlining.

yankeefr78 - Well I normally get something like Autoglym Lifeshine, but this time I opted for the Williams Ceramic Protection. A clever marketing gimmic from the Williams F1 team perhaps, but will see how it stacks up against the Lifeshine. The previous treatment has certainly saved my interior a few times with the kids spilling stuff, and on my D4 it kept the paint really lovely. Let's see if F1 tech is as good!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum