Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• IndusD4
    Australia 

The same trailer did require a resistor on the D4 to work correctly.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • GP1200
    Australia 

What confuses/ annoys me is when I hook my caravan on and connect the trailer plug in, the vehicle knows it’s there as it ask me ( in the centre console screen ) if I have connected a trailer, but I still don’t get the little trailer indicator lamp to work on the main dash. ( I have trailer assist parking option )

You would assume that it knows it has a trailer connected, why doesn’t the ind lamp work?
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

The Disco 5 trailer detection strategy relies on detecting either the brake lamp or direction indicator lamps. So if you happen to have brake lights that actually draw 1.75A the car will 'detect' that there is a trailer and will show the 'have you attached a trailer' menu etc. But if your DIs are low power LED that draw less than 1.75A the car will not detect the DI operating when you indicate leading to the lack of trailer icon when you indicate.
  • GP1200
    Australia 

Thanks for the explanation, does this mean the trailer stability is not fully functioning, or the vehicle knows with the extra weight and pulling that it has a van in tow?

Thanks
    Jack

2018 D5 HSE LUX TD6
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

Hi Jack,

If you get the 'have you attached a trailer' menu and the rear PDC turn off this means that the car has correctly detected that you have a trailer. In this case you will get all the correct Trailer Stability etc etc function working correctly as the car now knows you have a trailer. The trailer DI tell tale may still not function but that doesnt matter if the car has detected the trailer by seeing the brake lamps for example.

I think your auto start stop also stops when the trailer is attached and detected (there are more things like the air suspension stops going into off road mode etc etc).
  • Craigp
    England 

MalithS my stop start still operates with my Van on. Which always surprises me because the fridge should be pulling big amps (relatively).
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

The suspension settings always worked on my D4 even with a trailer so I certainly hope they still work on the D5. When going down the hill reversing onto my driveway it is necessary to drop it to access height to pivot the rear end of the trailer up so it doesn't bottom out.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

Craigp wrote:
    MalithS my stop start still operates with my Van on. Which always surprises me because the fridge should be pulling big amps (relatively).

Fridge feed isnt used to detect the trailer. Only the Brake and Direction Indicators. So if the car doesnt detect the min current on Brake/DI the vehicle does not detect the trailer.
  • Craigp
    England 

My point being that the Stop/Start is still oprative with my caravan is attached and my surprise that the car feels it can put its feet up for a little while by knocking the engine off when there is a large draw on the battery from the fridge feed.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

If the car hasnt detected the trailer by detecting the lights (current draw) then it wont know if has a trailer attached to it. So in this case it will behave as normal.
  • Craigp
    England 

Im sorry im not making myself clear. My car is fully aware it has a trailer attached. So my point was that the Stop/Start is still in operation on my vehicle whether the van is attached or not.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

oh sorry. I misunderstood.

That does sound strange! I dont think its supposed to do that. I guess it does the rear PDC deactivation etc etc correctly as you know there is a trailer. I was under the impression it should stop auto start stop when trailer is attached. Maybe some sort of fault?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

My 18my does the same, detects trailer ok, warning light for indicators works, parking sensor screen confirms trailer attached and rear sensors disabled, but stop / start still functions as normal.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

So I've read through the manual and it may seem that I might have given the wrong info. There is no mention of trailer being connected inhibiting auto stop start. The only things given for auto stop start being inhibited are things like :

[The following conditions inhibit an auto stop:

The external temperature is less than approximately -2°C.

The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C.

The engine or other vehicle systems have not reached their optimum operating temperatures.

The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.

Demand from the climate control system requires the engine to be running, e.g., when in defrost mode.

The vehicle's battery charge is low.

The auto stop/start system is deactivated.

After reversing, the vehicle's speed has not exceeded 16 km/h (10 mph).

A paddle shift has been used to select a gear.

Since the battery management system is aware of the drain on the battery I am sure that when running with a trailer if the car detects that it needs to provide more charge it will just not do the auto stop start when needed.
  • Craigp
    England 

So my cars not faulty Laughing Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum