Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

Time for mine to go

I haven’t posted for a while but thought i ought to as I’m getting rid of my Disco 5 and would like to reflect on the experience.

You can look for my other posts if you like.

So mines a 2.0L HSE, now 20 months old.

The disco is a massively capable car, room galore, features galore, a pretty smooth ride and comfortable.

Downsides:

Mine has suffered from fault after fault after fault, spent a solid stint of 2 weeks followed shortly after by a 5 week stint in the dealers. In total returned 14 times. It’s had rattles, mechanical problems, fault lights, infotainment system failures, squealing brakes, exhaust recirc sensors fall off, trim fall off, tailgate hitting bumper, AA called out (via LR assist) due to starting issues, loss of power etc etc.

They truly are full of faults, even the cars at Land Rover experience were faulty and loan cars faulty.

Upsides:

When they run properly (which mine does now and has for about 4 months) they are brilliant, they are luxurious, will pretty much get you anywhere and have some proper road presence.

Engine:

Mines a 2.0L - imo it should never be in a Disco, it won’t pull the skin off a rice pudding compared to a 3.0L, there isn’t enough torque. It sounds like a 2005 taxi and is about as smooth as one. My single biggest error that. I dread to think what the de-tuned version is like.

Anyone who says they can’t tell the difference staggers me Confused

Overall:

Potential to be brilliant and are brilliant, need to be built better, avoid the 2.0L. Would I say buy one, yes, nothing else quite like them.

I also think they are let down by LR just not bottoming obvious design / build faults. Maybe they are sorted now, I don’t know.

Will I be sad when mine leaves for the last time?

Not for one second.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Sounds like rotten luck - reminds me of my 2010 D4.... yours wasn’t just built on a Friday afternoon. It must have been a friday afternoon before a bank holiday weekend, when only half the staff turned up and there was a power cut and a fire alarm drill as it moved down the line. And perhaps a flood washed through the factory that day too... something went seriously wrong.

A shame to sell it if it’s finally settling down and behaving, but if the car gives you no confidence, who can blame you. Good luck with what you choose to replace it with. Perhaps go German or Swedish!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Capt Pugwash
    United Kingdom 

Re: Time for mine to go

Hissinsid wrote:
    I haven’t posted for a while but thought i ought to as I’m getting rid of my Disco 5 and would like to reflect on the experience.

You can look for my other posts if you like.

So mines a 2.0L HSE, now 20 months old.

The disco is a massively capable car, room galore, features galore, a pretty smooth ride and comfortable.

Downsides:

Mine has suffered from fault after fault after fault, spent a solid stint of 2 weeks followed shortly after by a 5 week stint in the dealers. In total returned 14 times. It’s had rattles, mechanical problems, fault lights, infotainment system failures, squealing brakes, exhaust recirc sensors fall off, trim fall off, tailgate hitting bumper, AA called out (via LR assist) due to starting issues, loss of power etc etc.

They truly are full of faults, even the cars at Land Rover experience were faulty and loan cars faulty.

Upsides:

When they run properly (which mine does now and has for about 4 months) they are brilliant, they are luxurious, will pretty much get you anywhere and have some proper road presence.

Engine:

Mines a 2.0L - imo it should never be in a Disco, it won’t pull the skin off a rice pudding compared to a 3.0L, there isn’t enough torque. It sounds like a 2005 taxi and is about as smooth as one. My single biggest error that. I dread to think what the de-tuned version is like.

Anyone who says they can’t tell the difference staggers me Confused

Overall:

Potential to be brilliant and are brilliant, need to be built better, avoid the 2.0L. Would I say buy one, yes, nothing else quite like them.

I also think they are let down by LR just not bottoming obvious design / build faults. Maybe they are sorted now, I don’t know.

Will I be sad when mine leaves for the last time?

Not for one second.

You are not alone...mine is also going as soon as I find the right replacement...mine has a bulkhead rattle that remains unfixed after several visits to LR dealers...the 2ltr engine is very laggy and I spend most on my time in sport mode to ensure I get away without a couple seconds delay which can be most unerving at busy islands.
    Also my 2ltr is sounding like a well used Lada Riva engine...
    Trim had been ‘stuck’ back on in places’ and general build quality feels very hit & miss
    Mine is a My17 car and I had a My18 for a couple of days with the digi dash and it felt no better...this then rubber stamped my decision to start looking back at something with a 3ltr from Germany... New Tourareg (getting good reviews) or the soon to be released new BMW X5...
    I love my Disco and all who see her admire her...but...the rattles and faults appear almost unfixable by the ever stretched JLR service network... I wanted to believe JLR had supplied me a 5 star car with 5 star service....they have failed & this time around I will never return to the fold! 😔
    Please let us know what you choose to replace the mighty D5 with? are you considering a Velar?🤣

Last edited by Capt Pugwash on 12th Oct 2018 1:18 pm. Edited 2 times in total

D5 MY19 ANNIVERSARY EDITION sd6 3ltr V6 - Loire blue - 22”alloys
  • Labbix

I’m waiting for the new GLS or otherwise see what the X7 will bring. Although I became a bit reluctant to buy a 100% new model, as don’t want to become, again, another testing pig...
  • Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

Pugwash:

You are not alone...mine is also going as soon as I find the right replacement...mine has a bulkhead rattle that remains unfixed after several visits to LR dealers...the 2ltr engine is very laggy and I spend most on my time in sport mode to ensure I get away without a couple seconds delay which can be most unerving at busy islands.

Glad it’s not just me. The wife is really reluctant to drive it because of near misses (same as me). It’s that “cmon, cmon, cmon, oh s***, oh now it’s going” and everything ends up in the back of the car.

Please let us know what you choose to replace the mighty D5 with? are you considering a Velar?

Well I thought long and hard and what suits me, my Disco 4 was flawless and I know 3 people with or had rrs with no issues so I’ve ordered a ffrr. I had one for 2 days on loan and it was better I have to say. It was either that or a 911 (new 992) but it’s not practical at the moment plus they aren’t making any cars and can’t say when they will be.

I will either be very happy or you will see me in the daily mail!

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Wow ..what a contrast Shocked ..had mine for 7 months and not a jot of an issue, I find the 2.0 flies far better than the D4 3.0.... although it doesn't have the same soundtrack for sure.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Agree Rich. Never had an issue with the power, gearbox or engine noise with the 2L. It’s a great engine for the D5. Goes as well if not better than my D4 ever did.

Soundtrack off course not the same but the engine is a cracker IMHO.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum