Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

3.0 engine whine

Has anyone got the 3.0 diesel close to Manchester as I want to compare the engine noise Rolling Eyes

My D5 has been in the dealers for the last 6 weeks cos of a whine on the engine !

I picked the car up on Friday and the dealer said that LR technical have told them the noise is generic to the model, I have told them that’s sh%+e as it wasn’t there when I picked the car up in Jan and I’ve never heard any more with the same noise !

So just to make sure I’m not going completely round the bend I would like to compare it to another of similar spec.

Any help greatfully appreciated !

Sharky

Last edited by SHARKYSHARKS on 15th Oct 2018 5:45 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do they not have a demonstrator or a used one there?

Keep the wine to drink, but definitely eliminate any whine!! Thumbs Up
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Jimbg
    I didn’t even bother to ask after 6 weeks of driving a Jaaaaaaaag XE and then an Epuke I though I’d give it a go.
    But the noise is still there and at the mo ant be arsed taking it back again !
    After 7 months of owning the car it’s been in the stealers for 2 months And ive only done 4.5 K in it !

Ps noted on the Whine .........Wine Embarassed
  • arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

I am not close to you but I noticed last week a high pitched noise that is correlated to engine revs.
    My D3 did have similar noise when alternator was on final laps.

My D5 is a year old now and had its first yearly service three weeks ago.
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Hi Arsi
    That’s the same as mine but the stealer changed the alternator, ac pump, idler pulley while doing their investigations 🤔
  • arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Just listened carefully the whine on my D5:
    - Can not hear it when engine is cold. It starts only after a few kilometers drive.
    - Pitch raises according to the engine revs.
    - Whine continues for a second or two after engine stops with lowering pitch.

-> Turbo? Or is there something other that continues to run after engine stops. FBH should engage as ambient temperature is so high.

I am confident that I had not that pitch earlier. Could oil change initiate it?
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Mine does it all the time whether hot or cold !
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

At 9k miles, mine has suddenly started making a whining/buzzy noise. It is slowly getting worse. Mostly and very noticeable on acceleration, particularly from lower speed/revs. Possibly louder when engine warm. But nothing if just reving the engine when stationary and it stops when travelling at a constant speed/revs. Nothing if you coast the vehicle and nothing? if you go down the gears manually even though the revs spike, but road speed held constant. Nothing visible to see. I don’t live near a LR dealer.
    Any suggestions?
  • mse
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

The is a universal fix for engine noise, been around for years...

Turn the stereo up and stop listening for it Thumbs Up
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Qwertyd5x wrote:
    At 9k miles, mine has suddenly started making a whining/buzzy noise. It is slowly getting worse. Mostly and very noticeable on acceleration, particularly from lower speed/revs. Possibly louder when engine warm. But nothing if just reving the engine when stationary and it stops when travelling at a constant speed/revs. Nothing if you coast the vehicle and nothing? if you go down the gears manually even though the revs spike, but road speed held constant. Nothing visible to see. I don’t live near a LR dealer.
    Any suggestions?

Maybe the turbo is getting noisy?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum