Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

New order - Top Tips

Hi folks. A refugee from Disco3.co.uk here. I have skipped a D4 altogether.

I'm looking to order a D5 HSE 3.0 shortly. This will be my wife and my only car; we will only do about 8k miles per annum - local driving, London to Sheffield trips, occasional holidays with 5 adults and then towing a trailer with my rally car to events, stuffed full of spares, tools and wheels.

I'm looking for any Top Tips under the following headings, particularly the first two:

1. any upcoming changes to the MY specs I should be aware of?

2. a £4K discount seems available by walking through a dealer's door. Any views on how much is achievable? I know there will be £2K on a PCP deal, but I don't need finance.

3. any best options tips?

4. any worst options tips?

5. does anyone know why tow assist is not available with the electrically deployable towbar?

6. are adaptive headlights worth it? (thinking not)

7. does anyone have idea as to what Adaptive Dynamics does and how effective it is? (thinking yes, on account of the amount of car sickness in the family!)

8. Is the standard Meridian 325W system decent? Sounds like it should be...

9. I see the accessories include protective mats to cover the loadspace, but nothing that protects the sides of the boot etc. - has anyone found anything to do this?

10. we'll probably keep the car for a while - any thoughts on paint protection treatment?

11. any recommendations on front and rear dashcams and where to hardwire them?

12. has anyone lived with Namib Orange without regretting it?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Andrew
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

Im looking at 2.0 diesel to avoid service interval problems

Take finance get 2k off then repay full loan in first tst 15 days or so. 2k discount remains. I cant get that 2k as i will be using nfu discount

Forget fancy lights etc just spec heated steering wheel .

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Quote:
    Im looking at 2.0 diesel to avoid service interval problems

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.

Isn't the D5 being made in Slovakia...?.
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

Not yet. What do you drive?

Dont try cyber bullyimg me on here

14K worth of british built pruduct arrived here just a month ago. Heavy engineering from Worchester

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Take the finance, normally a minimum of £15k to achieve the £2k or whatever saving. Pay it off the next day as I did. It cost me £6 something in interest and no questions and no reclaim the saving, I just said I changed my mind. You are a mug if you don’t.
  • Down & Dirty
    United Kingdom 

Agree with dangerdave Thumbs Up
    Collected car 9 am day after9.15 am paid off in full and only cost me £1.00 interest Very Happy

2018 HSE Now Gone
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

MY2019 only started deliveries in September. If you are thinking about waiting for a change you'll be waiting almost a year.

Good Options:

Adaptive Dynamics - very nice if you like to get a move on through the corners without body roll, pointless if you drive like a pensioner taking their last breath because it would never do anything. It uses G-sensors and sensors in the suspension to adjust each the stiffness of each shock absorber several hundred times a second to reduce body roll and improve handling without reducing ride comfort. It's very clever and works well.

Remote Timed Climate - fantastic if you go out every morning at a predictable time. Warm, defrosted car and less wear on the engine from cold starts.

Heated steering wheel - Wouldn't want to be without it in the winter.

Cooled Seats - nice to stop the danglies getting sweaty in the summer

Adaptive headlights - I really like them and would choose them again but could live without them.

Not so good options:

Big wheels - look nice but harsher ride, less choice for off-road tyres, more prone to getting damaged.

I've got the standard Meridian 380W sound system - can't fault it.

Dashcam - my Blackvue is wired under the roof lining, down the A-pillar and in to the fuse box behind the glove box. Very neat, no visible wires, no drilling. I don't have a rear camera.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
    Not yet. What do you drive?

Dont try cyber bullyimg me on here

14K worth of british built pruduct arrived here just a month ago. Heavy engineering from Worchester

Thank you for asking. I drive a Toyota 2.5L petrol hybrid. Until last May I'd owned a Toyota diesel for 9 years but when I found £30K in spare cash for a new car I thought that it would be good to support British industry by buying a Land Rover product made in Liverpool. It turned out to be defective and I returned it for a refund. But you knew all of this.

My point was that anyone wishing to support British jobs by buying a LR Discovery might find that they have left it too late: according to the Independent newspaper, UK production of that particular model will be suspended "early next year". There are other British products, and those with a patriotic conscience may wish to consider buying one of those instead.

The recent behaviour of Jaguar Land Rover has appalled many people who sincerely care about the prosperity of this country but who are content to express their patriotism quietly and without resorting to one-line slogans - I include myself. I would like to see a few people state publicly that they are now prepared to blackball the Discovery to firmly remind Ralf Speth that he is a guest in our independent country and that, whilst he holds custodianship of one of our "national treasures", he should learn to respect all the stakeholders involved in the enterprise, starting with the employees who deserve a better standard of leadership, and customers who deserve better products.
  • yankeefr78
    France 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hi JonM
    Which dashcam blackvue model do you have ?
    Could you provide a picture of where it is installed ?
    How did you do the installation of the cable ?

D3 HSE 2.7 06MY / D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 13MY
    D5 HSE 3.0 19MY Santorini Black - 20" Style 5011 - Electric sun roof - Rear privacy glass - Dark satin brushed aluminium trim finisher - Ebony headlining - Heated seats & steering wheel - Premium carpet mats - Surround camera system - Black Exterior Pack - Driver Assist Pack
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Down & Dirty wrote:
    Agree with dangerdave Thumbs Up
    Collected car 9 am day after9.15 am paid off in full and only cost me £1.00 interest Very Happy

Not worth leaving a small amount on finance so if you need to beat up LR you have another line of attack? Question Question
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

yankeefr78 wrote:
    Hi JonM
    Which dashcam blackvue model do you have ?
    Could you provide a picture of where it is installed ?
    How did you do the installation of the cable ?

I've got the BlackVue DR650GW-1CH. It's mounted just to the left (passenger side) and slightly above the rear view mirror. It's mounted on the black dots as high as possible whilst the lens can still get a clear view out below the dots and where the windscreen is swept by the wipers. I haven't got a photo handy and it's too dark now.

To route the cable, first cut the cigarette lighter plug off the end (don't cut the plug that goes in to the balckvue off). Pull the door seal down from the top on the passenger side. Pull the console with the sunroof switches out from the roof liner. Remove the screw from the sun visor clip nearest the mirror. Pull the roof lining down slightly until you feel a clip release.

Feed the cut end of the cable from the top corner of the windscreen, over the airbags and out through the door seal.

Push a loop of cable up from near the mirror and out through where the roof console was. Plug the cable in to the dascam and pull the cable tight between the console and the door to make it straight. Pull any slack to the door to get the length right then clip the headlining back and replace the sun visor screw and console.

Feed the cut end of the wire down the a pillar to the fuse box behind the glove box then replace the door seal.

Wire the dascam in to fuses using piggy back fuses as necessary (I use a power magic pro).

I can get photos another day if they help.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Down & Dirty
    United Kingdom 

Dsl

I suppose you could but I hate owing money, also have a very good solicitor friend too Laughing

2018 HSE Now Gone
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Makes sense, I’m the same. But without the solicitor. Or the LR (D4 went today). Thumbs Up
  • Down & Dirty
    United Kingdom 

Yes read about it on disco3 sad day indeed Crying or Very sad

Gonna miss folowing your road trips, just wont be the same seeing your photos of you on the top deck of a bus brewing your coffee Laughing

2018 HSE Now Gone
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Got serious trips planned, just to places we can’t drive to, so lots more pictures of breakfasts in more exotic places than NE Norway. Watch this space. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum