Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Ok, so below are my results from before 1st oil change (at 17850 km, 2nd time the oil service indicator went to 0, but at the first occurrence - at about 9000 kms - the dealer's garage just "applied a sw patch", which I suspect in fact meant they just reset the counter).

It's in Czech, so I added translations for some crucial lines. The lines in bold are the values highligted by the lab as problematic. In line with what others have posted the fuel level is (suspiciously) low, metals are high, the oil has low viscosity.

I was long reluctant to post the results as I was a bit skeptical I followed the proper sampling procedure. Problem is the lab recommends to take the sample ideally from the middle of the engine. It makes sense because eg fuel is lighter than oil, its concentration down at the bottom of the engine will be lower than higher up, for heavier particles such as metals the very opposite applies.

For my 1st testing I extracted (via the extraction pipe) just the amount needed for the testing, that is if the pipe goes completely down to the bottom of the oil pan (is that a fact?), I suspect taking the sample oil from there does not warrant representative test results. Next time I plan to extract a bit more (about 1l) before taking the actual sample to see if it affects the results.

I'm wondering if other's results are not affected by the same potential flaw in sampling. Because really the fuel concentrations everybody is reporting seem suspiciously low even for a properly working regen system, not to mention one that allegedly causes a fuel in oil issue.

Test results:

DATUM ODEBRÁNÍ VZORKU 10-Oct-18
    císlo vzorku 25155740
    výmena oleje km 17850
    EDGE Profession
    SAE 5W30
    výrobce oleje Castrol

Fyzikalni testy
    palivo (%hm., FTIR) <1.0 (<-fuel)
    voda (%hm., FTIR) <0.1 (<-water)
    Saze (%hm., FTIR) 2 (<-soot)
    glykol (%, FTIR) <0.1