Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

TDV6 - Oil test

Did anyone of you get their oil tested?
    I got a sample of my TDV6 tested (because of the early service issue). Oil dilution is below 0.3 % which is the detection threshold. So no oil dilution happening for me. My Disco wants service anyway, after just 5.000 miles.
    What amazes me is the amount of wear metal. Hope some of you could provide a sample to compare...

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Dieselranger had his tested and the results are in one of the threads.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I sent my sample off to millers oils earlier this week so will share when the results arrive.

Sample was taken at 2000 miles after service indicator at 1873miles.

Jon
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

@Hauser Indeed - my tests so far showed 3.0% and less than 0.3% like yours despite the "service due" message. Just took another sample and sent it off yesterday as I went from 2700 miles to "service due" in less than a week, and my oil level is showing "overfilled". The "overfilled" bit concerns me a little as that's usually an indication of dilution, but I this is the first time I've looked at that measure on this oil and it was on a cold engine.

Only about 3,700 miles on this oil change. I've asked for my lab to recommend how much longer I can run the oil...if it comes back as significantly less than 6.1% FIO I'll leave it in for a bit.

One note...my last oil change showed "0W30" on the paperwork but they are supposed to use 5W30...I think it was a typo.
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Hi DieselRanger,

thanks for the info.
    I would be very interested in your wear metals too. Could you post the how much iron you had in your sample?

Greets,
    Hauser

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

My analysis is in. 2000miles with a service warning and 1% actual fuel dilution. Big red cross for oil condition though- high copper wear metals. But at 2k, its only just past running in.

I have had N222v2 applied along with the oil and filter change since that sample. I plan to take another sample next time I get a service indication to see how well the car judges fuel dilution after N222v2.

Jon

• DieselRanger
    United States 

Here are the results of two tests. I didn't get a sample at my first oil change, unfortunately. Wear metals were a bit high the first time - copper and silver especially. All came down within limits on the next sample, including iron, which wasn't that high the first time. So wear-in seems to be progressing normally.

Of note, I also tested a virgin oil sample (not on table below) and it came back with low viscosity for the weight - this was from an unopened liter of the exact same Castrol as used in my Discovery, bought from the dealer at the time of service.

• Hauser
    Germany 

B50int wrote:
    My analysis is in. 2000miles with a service warning and 1% actual fuel dilution. Big red cross for oil condition though- high copper wear metals. But at 2k, its only just past running in.

I have had N222v2 applied along with the oil and filter change since that sample. I plan to take another sample next time I get a service indication to see how well the car judges fuel dilution after N222v2.

Jon

Hi,

the pic is so small, that I can't read the numbers. Sad Could you post the iron and copper levels?

Thanks & greets,
    Hauser

• Hauser
    Germany 

DieselRanger wrote:
    Here are the results of two tests. I didn't get a sample at my first oil change, unfortunately. Wear metals were a bit high the first time - copper and silver especially. All came down within limits on the next sample, including iron, which wasn't that high the first time. So wear-in seems to be progressing normally.

Of note, I also tested a virgin oil sample (not on table below) and it came back with low viscosity for the weight - this was from an unopened liter of the exact same Castrol as used in my Discovery, bought from the dealer at the time of service.

Hmm if I read this correctly, you first sample (right side) has almost the same amout of wear metal as mine does. But you did 5.000 miles, I did 5000 km. Sad My car was pre owned by the dealer and they probably didn't treat it well. (The interior says so as well as the journeys on incontrol, which they didn't delete...) Sad

Greets & thanks,
    Hauser

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

Hauser wrote:

Hi,

the pic is so small, that I can't read the numbers. Sad Could you post the iron and copper levels?

Thanks & greets,
    Hauser

Sorry, tried a few times but that was the best I could get it Rolling Eyes

Iron 93ppm
    Copper 64ppm

Jon
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Hauser wrote:

Hmm if I read this correctly, you first sample (right side) has almost the same amout of wear metal as mine does. But you did 5.000 miles, I did 5000 km. Sad My car was pre owned by the dealer and they probably didn't treat it well. (The interior says so as well as the journeys on incontrol, which they didn't delete...) Sad

Greets & thanks,
    Hauser

I haven't exactly been easy on mine - it went off-road almost immediately plus a couple road trips and some hard drags up 12,000foot mountain passes on A-road equivalent at full steam, but I got mine with 16 miles on the odo straight off the boat minus some PDI mileage. The comment from the labs on my copper and silver were that they were high (hence the bold print) but likely only due to wear-in, and you can see they came down the second time, which the lab said was consistent.

I don't know what the wear profile should look like, but I would expect it should be logarithmic and probably pretty steep initially. Diesels do take a bit of wear-in...my VW Touareg didn't get its best mileage until after it hit 20,000 miles. I'm just getting there with my D5.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Hauser,

I am hoping my copper comes right down. Mine had 20 miles on the clock at handover. Like you I haven’t been easy on it but for different reasons. I do a lot of short journeys interspersed with long cruises and a road blasts. Caravan has only been on the back twice so far.

I am expecting the high copper to be entirely down to running in. time will tell when the next oil sample is due!

Jon
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Hi,

okay thanks guys. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the levels are in a few thousand miles.

Greets,
    Hauser

• DieselRanger
    United States 

Ok, so latest oil test finally came back. This is with 3,730 miles on the oil with the "Service Due" notification. Most recent analysis is on the left.

Still appears as if oil dilution is a non-issue. I do not have any of the N222 updates.

Click image to enlarge
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Thanks man,

looks like your results are pretty consistent. Thumbs Up

Greets,
    Hauser

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum